I asked my dealer about this. "What happens if I decide I don't want it" explicitly. His response was something along the lines of -- then we'll put it on the lot and it will sell in four hours, don't worry about it.I feel like an absolute POS right now, but here's the situation:
I have a roadtrip planned next month and can't wait another 3 months for this thing. Dealer never asked for a deposit so I can bail on it. I am -extremely- confident that the dealer will be able to sell it, likely for much higher than what they offered it to me for (It's a sport S with a few mods for about $35k).
- Custom ordered a Jeep for 7% below invoice June 15th
- Jeep and dealer said it would be ready July 15th
- Just got the email saying it'll now tentatively be ready October 15th
I feel like an asshole for even considering this, and it will definitely suck to pay MSRP at a dealership - but should I bail on my custom ordered Jeep? If I had known this would have taken 4 months I never would have ordered it to begin with and would have gone to the dealer immediately.
Thanks.Don't worry about it. I would at least let them know if you have no intention of buying. It's not like you can have a Jeep built with weird option or color combos that will keep them being able to sell it.
As far as going to another dealer, doubt that will work right now. There are a lot of posts popping up about emails pushing their delivery dates back for months. I guess the chip shortage finally caught up with Jeep.
Your best bet would be to conduct a search within a few hundred miles of you to see if there is one in stock somewhere. You will likely pay at least MSRP for it.