Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I currently have rubicon springs and bilstein 5100 series 2.5inch shocks.

I will be installing 1 inch spacers front and rear soon and was wondering of I should install the adjustable MC bumpstops. Basically Id add 1inch.

So my shocks compressed length is 17inches, technically they need about an inch of extra bumpstop but Ive never had any issues. Ive never bottomed out to the point that the shock would get compressed past its limits because the rubber piece wont actually let metal contact metal.

But the way I understand it. Adding the 1inch extra bumpstop wont affect articulation and itll only limit uptravel by that 1 inch, so Id still have plenty left. And since I am already removing coils to install the spacers I might as well do the bumpstops.

What do you all think? Should I do it or should I not even bother since 1inch is such a small lift.
Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
if you are not upsizing tires, I don't think you need them. When you compress one side the down travel is not different by the whole size of the spacer... the spring compresses out to the same maximum albeit there is 1 inch more gap at that point from top of tire to fender..

thats my understanding with very small spacers. if you are leveraging that new ride height by adding larger diameter tires then you need stops to either not hit the fender or bottom out shocks. Given that you have 2-3" shocks, the rubicon spring is the limiter here and will fully compress before the shock can bottom out

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have rubicon springs and bilstein 5100 series 2.5inch shocks.

I will be installing 1 inch spacers front and rear soon and was wondering of I should install the adjustable MC bumpstops. Basically Id add 1inch.

So my shocks compressed length is 17inches, technically they need about an inch of extra bumpstop but Ive never had any issues. Ive never bottomed out to the point that the shock would get compressed past its limits because the rubber piece wont actually let metal contact metal.

But the way I understand it. Adding the 1inch extra bumpstop wont affect articulation and itll only limit uptravel by that 1 inch, so Id still have plenty left. And since I am already removing coils to install the spacers I might as well do the bumpstops.

What do you all think? Should I do it or should I not even bother since 1inch is such a small lift.
You’ll have the springs out anyway, just hookup the shock, put tire on, and stuff the axle to set bump stop length.

Not sure if fender rub is in your equation or not but you may have to set for that, then shocks won’t be bottoming out anyway. If fender clearance isn’t a concern then set bumps so you got 1/2” shock shaft showing.

That way you’re set if springs let it get that far. I don’t think they will, but not sure without hands on…..

Matt will be along shortly with all the data and charts and graphs that will tell you what works on paper..;)

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You’ll have the springs out anyway, just hookup the shock, put tire on, and stuff the axle to set bump stop length.

Not sure if fender rub is in your equation or not but you may have to set for that, then shocks won’t be bottoming out anyway. If fender clearance isn’t a concern then set bumps so you got 1/2” shock shaft showing.

That way you’re set if springs let it get that far. I don’t think they will, but not sure without hands on…..

Matt will be along shortly with all the data and charts and graphs that will tell you what works on paper..;)
Makes sense. Fender clearance isnt an issue now, I am on 33s. But I will be getting "true" 34s next year. If fender clearance is an issue Ill swap fenders. Shouldnt be with Rubicon or bushwacker fenders.

If I add the MC bump stops I can adjust bump stop if I need to later without having to remove springs. So thats why I am thinking maybe I should do it.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe