Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve noticed a lot of Jeeps replacing OEM Jeep antenna with shorty aluminum ones. I figured if I’m throwing out this nice stainless steel antenna for a cheap aluminum made in China replacement I should at least cut my old one down and see how it looks and performs.

17DF978E-A245-4B46-9893-1EBECDBDC4EA.jpeg

I first figured you CAN remove the safety ball at the end of the antenna for reinstallation at NEW cut. Remove with tape so ball won’t “oh Jesus” across the shop never to be found. I used a pair of visegrips loosly set to larger than OD of antenna and “slid hammered” it off the antenna.

71D57415-A553-42F0-A3FE-294FF56AD170.jpeg

My desired length was 10” for the test run, or almost 25” removal. Gripped disposable side with visegrips and cut.

67555D9B-2075-4AD4-B304-E6656AB7A5AD.jpeg

You’ll need to change the OD of cut to the OD of the tip so the safety ball will press back on. I turned mine slowly on a grinder to get the desired OD. OE Tip on right, reworked cut end to near OD on left.

068ABBDB-A156-4235-8A79-5DDD93F07E3A.jpeg

I’d recommend some epoxy or adhesive for the ball. Turns out I had some leftover J-B WELD Clearweld Epoxy Adhesive from another project. But the adhesive is so minimal I wouldn’t buy something just for this. I chose to hammer (light taps) the safety ball/epoxy back on.

INSTALLED
F8231BEC-CA09-4C2C-9C80-85C3E38070CD.jpeg
D1E6D64C-1514-407F-84FC-5D7D30565EC4.png

Pretty easy mod and saves $20-$40 instead of buying aftermarket aluminum ones. Also consider you won’t have as good of AM/FM reception with ANY short antenna modification.

I’ve also read some people are having galvanic corrosion issues with most aftermarket shorty antennas. So you might not be able to remove the aftermarket ones once you install them. Just my frugal 2 certs worth of mods.
Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Shorty works OK and looks great, but you just undid what JEEP had in mind for the tall antenna..to help you in parking in garages with low clearances and to sweep branches away on the trail.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Shorty works OK and looks great, but you just undid what JEEP had in mind for the tall antenna..to help you in parking in garages with low clearances and to sweep branches away on the trail.
That and its not the proper wavelength by cutting it down. I'd suspect its performance will suffer.

The shorties are coiled up in the antenna so that they are the proper wavelength.

Last edited:

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
That and its noon the proper wavelength by cutting it down. I'd suspect its performance will suffer.

The shorties are coiled up in the antenna so that they are the proper wavelength.
Yep. Just guessing that is probably down to less than an 1/8th wavelength. The reception should decrease quite a bit the further away from the transmission towers.

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Just guessing that is probably down to less than an 1/8th wavelength. The reception should decrease quite a bit the further away from the transmission towers.
As stated in the post “Also consider you won’t have as good of AM/FM reception with ANY short antenna modification”

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
The spiral is to assist with wind shedding, it hasn't anything to do for signal reception.
What gives the antenna the ability to work properly is by being "tuned" to a frequency range, as you alluded to. With a monopole antenna the size is typically determined by wavelength. Wavelength is calculated by dividing the speed of light (theoretically the speed of radio waves) by the frequency of the transmission. Most car antenna are quarter wave antennas, 1/4 wavelength. Its tuned range covers both your AM and FM frequency ranges.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty easy mod and saves $20-$40 instead of buying aftermarket aluminum ones. Also consider you won’t have as good of AM/FM reception with ANY short antenna modification.
  1. Nice little mod :like:
  2. I have a shorty, it was one of my first mods, same brand that I have had on on three Jeeps now. I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and I pull in loads of FM stations, but only listen to a couple
  3. I have repurposed my stock antenna, and I use it as a wire fish, particularly good for fishing wires through the frame of the Jeep
  4. @Ohio Hiker, I learned something today, thanks :rock:

Reactions: BHo

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
What a great idea. I was looking to change out to a shorty, but went with this minor mod to the stock antenna. I've always found the size of the stock antenna a distraction I could do without. So I took a hacksaw to it this morning and a dremel tool to reduce the tip before fitting the ball back on with a dab of liquid solder. So far I have no reduction in reception but only time will tell as I venture further out...

IMG_0801[257].JPG

Reactions: BHo

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Never under stand why folks do this. The factory antenna tell me if I'm going to clear that parking garage.

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What a great idea. I was looking to change out to a shorty, but went with this minor mod to the stock antenna. I've always found the size of the stock antenna a distraction I could do without. So I took a hacksaw to it this morning and a dremel tool to reduce the tip before fitting the ball back on with a dab of liquid solder. So far I have no reduction in reception but only time will tell as I venture further out...

Jeep Wrangler JL Shorten OEM Antenna IMG_0801[257].JPG
Glad it worked for you. I’ve been happy with mine too.

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I used to have a 24" AntennaX CB style antenna on my 2009 and 2012 JK's, but I forgot to remove it when I sold the 2012 :facepalm:

Unfortunately they stopped making these antennas a while ago so they are impossible to find now unless you can track down a used one. That AntennaX antenna worked just as well, if not better than the factory antenna on my JK's.

Since I couldn't find the AntennaX anymore, I just swapped out my stock 35" stainless antenna for a black stainless, 31", wire wound antenna from Antenna MastsRus/Antenna Source. No loss in signal/reception whatsoever and it still sits a little higher than the top of the Jeep to provide some warning in case I get into parking garage with a low ceiling.

Antenna MastsRus/Antenna Source sells a few different antennas for the JL in various lengths from 7" to 31".

IMG_20200824_130019.jpg

IMG_20200825_222753.jpg

IMG_20200825_222948.jpg

IMG_20200824_134221.jpg

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Never under stand why folks do this. The factory antenna tell me if I'm going to clear that parking garage.
Maybe they're like me. I'd be bad lost if my jeep was ever close to a parking garage. ;)

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m really not sure if you’re being serious or not. But judging by some of your snarky comments from other threads. I call BS on needing an antenna to gauge height in a parking garage. Most competent Folks are fully aware of the height of their jeeps, it goes hand-and-hand with knowing your rig so you can off-road proficiently.

Secondly, International Building Code; Section 1106.5. requires parking garages “...shall be not less than 7 feet...”. Most jeeps are 6’ to 6’2” stock, and 6’-4” to 6’-6” modified.

My question to you since you “Never under stand why folks do this.” Is: how in the hell do you navigate your Jeep ON or OFF road If you need an antenna to park in city parking structure? Do you also require “curb feelers” to rock crawl? With this mindset, you wouldn’t lift your Jeep with worries of not being able to park?

Go vent about relevant modifications that jeopardize safety... like lift kits and rollovers at highway speeds. How antirock sway bars are subpar for stabilizing your rig in corrective actions on the highway. How bias ply tires are unsafe in colder climates and how lack of water sipes on mud terrain tires can jeopardize handling in wet road conditions.

And Yes, this is a rant based off of irritation from an INEPT reply to a frugal solution to shortening an antenna.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m really not sure if you’re being serious or not. But judging by some of your snarky comments from other threads. I call BS on needing an antenna to gauge height in a parking garage. Most competent Folks are fully aware of the height of their jeeps, it goes hand-and-hand with knowing your rig so you can off-road proficiently.

Secondly, International Building Code; Section 1106.5. requires parking garages “...shall be not less than 7 feet...”. Most jeeps are 6’ to 6’2” stock, and 6’-4” to 6’-6” modified.

My question to you since you “Never under stand why folks do this.” Is: how in the hell do you navigate your Jeep ON or OFF road If you need an antenna to park in city parking structure? Do you also require “curb feelers” to rock crawl? With this mindset, you wouldn’t lift your Jeep with worries of not being able to park?

Go vent about relevant modifications that jeopardize safety... like lift kits and rollovers at highway speeds. How antirock sway bars are subpar for stabilizing your rig in corrective actions on the highway. How bias ply tires are unsafe in colder climates and how lack of water sipes on mud terrain tires can jeopardize handling in wet road conditions.

And Yes, this is a rant based off of irritation from an INEPT reply to a frugal solution to shortening an antenna.

Here is my last rig deep in the woods. The JL hasn't been in the there yet, local authority likes to close the trails this time of year. Save the mall crawler attacks for the dudes with the dubs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shorten OEM Antenna 393521
Sponsored