Short Shifter for Manual JL?

SPooN887

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm not convinced by the appearance of the shifters. I'd really prefer a kit that retains the factory looks. With manuals accounting for a small percentage of overall builds, I wonder how many kits will be available... not going to hold my breath.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Yup I just pulled the trigger on this. Install looks easy (knocks head). I’ll let you know how I like it.
Did the parts arrive yet :turkey:
I'm very close to pulling the trigger. I was just hoping to hear someone's impressions before I pull the trigger myself.

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Did the parts arrive yet :turkey:
I'm very close to pulling the trigger. I was just hoping to hear someone's impressions before I pull the trigger myself.
The short throw shifter did, I love the looks and feel. Install video and instructions appear robust and easy. But I’ve been waiting for XT to ship the damn matching transfer case handle (couldn’t resist) so I could do them both at same time like in video. It won’t be here until next Tuesday :( But I will post pics and impressions here after the install promise!

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Both transfer case lever and shift lever installed! Pricey but WORTH IT I love the looks and most importantly the feel. Feels VERY CLOSE to my Barton short throw shifter I had in my Mustang GT. Install video on YouTube was big help.

64C91291-2FAD-4F5D-8EA7-580F71A39202.jpeg

6719FCD7-3884-4642-8F27-253A1BC89EC0.jpeg

7CF3BB79-EB74-4DD7-9EDA-D571ECD1A4A4.jpeg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Both transfer case lever and shift lever installed! Pricey but WORTH IT I love the looks and most importantly the feel. Feels VERY CLOSE to my Barton short throw shifter I had in my Mustang GT. Install video on YouTube was big help.

Awesome, looks great! Thanks for the feedback. Other than the shorter throw do you notice any other difference in feel? I remember on some of my previous cars the SSK would give it a slightly notchier feel(If that makes sense) which I actually liked.

Also, is the transfer case lever adjustable at all? I'm a little concerned it will hit my knees in the current position. My leg occasionally rests against the factory transfer case lever, but if the bend in the lever can be rotated forward/back that may solve my issues.

Sponsored

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
F360A2DC-7314-4F0A-A7AB-487F7DE0255D.jpeg
Yes to notchier, it feels better! No to adjustabiiity BUT it’s not in the way. Here’s a pic showing me knee totally hanging to the right side. Doesn’t hit. Just drove 50 miles w it, I LOVE them both. Like I said pricey but worth it-I’ll enjoy every time I drive.

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Ps- forgot to say; I used three washers that I had sitting around under the gearshift knob as spacers to make it tighten in the correct position. I could not get the supplied “jam nut” to adjust from below as cited in the instructions (but not the video) due to the surrounding spring. The transfer case jam nut was more accessible. It’s an easy install.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase

I've been eyeballing these since they first hit the market and you've sold it for me! I'm regearing mine in a couple weeks and I think this will be the perfect time to pull the trigger on this set! Looks awesome!

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
I've been eyeballing these since they first hit the market and you've sold it for me! I'm regearing mine in a couple weeks and I think this will be the perfect time to pull the trigger on this set! Looks awesome!
Been driving around for a couple of weeks with both and I still absolutely LOVE them. Best mod yet!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Been driving around for a couple of weeks with both and I still absolutely LOVE them. Best mod yet!
I installed a Barton short shifter on my Mustang within a couple thousand miles of getting it. I loved the way that shifter made shifting gears feel. The notchy mechanical-ness of it felt like a rifle’s action to me.

I’m going to drive the Jeep for a couple thousand miles and evaluate the shifter. This may end up being my first mod.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's nice! I'd really like to try one. The t-case shifter wouldn't work for me, though. My knee would be all over it. I'm 6'5" tall. If anyone in central Indiana installs one, I'd love to try it out. I love the shifter as is, but the shorter throw would be even better. If they'd just make the matching ball for the T-case lever, that'd work for my knee/leg.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine in and actually installed them at work on my lunch break. Theyre absolutely awesome. Got to go wheeling over the weekend and got to put both to good use and I regret nothing here! Now if only my 5.13 gears would show up so I can use all 6 gears again. I'm running 37s on 3.45 right now so it's basically a 4 speed.

IMG_20190408_210722414.jpg

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's nice! I'd really like to try one. The t-case shifter wouldn't work for me, though. My knee would be all over it. I'm 6'5" tall. If anyone in central Indiana installs one, I'd love to try it out. I love the shifter as is, but the shorter throw would be even better. If they'd just make the matching ball for the T-case lever, that'd work for my knee/leg.
At first I thought I would regret the t case shifter and I honestly only bought it for ocd sake so they would match and wished I could have just got a matching knob but after using it I like it. I'm 6'0 and sit close for clutch sake and it's right next to my knee but doesn't bother me. At 6'5 I would expect That you're knee would actually fall behind the knob.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
At first I thought I would regret the t case shifter and I honestly only bought it for ocd sake so they would match and wished I could have just got a matching knob but after using it I like it. I'm 6'0 and sit close for clutch sake and it's right next to my knee but doesn't bother me. At 6'5 I would expect That you're knee would actually fall behind the knob.
I'd have to sit in it to be sure, but with close examination of the pics and looking where my knee and leg sits, I'll be surprised if I don't hit it. I'd love it if someone near me has one I can try. I love the look of the shifter and I already think the throw is great. 18% less throw would be just gravy.
Sponsored