Shopping for new Rubicon - noises on test drive

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm a long time GM customer. Mainly half ton trucks and classic cars. I've always wanted an older Jeep as a second or third vehicle. I've decided it makes more sense for me to get a new Rubicon and use it as a daily driver. I've done all my research and last week I decided I would go drive one to see if I liked it.

I've driven used JKs and was convinced that I'd like the JL. During the test drive, everything was great but there were 2 noises that would bug me if it were an every day thing. At idle there was a harmonic low pitch rumble. It was the kind of rumble you get with bad motor mounts where the whole car shakes, only the car was not shaking. There was just this low frequency harmonic. The noise immediately stopped if I pressed on the gas at all.

The other noise was a buffeting sound at about 40 MPH as if one of the windows was cracked a little. I checked the windows and this was not the case.

I'm guessing this is not normal. I did not drive another Rubicon. Could both of these noises be related to improperly re-installed top? I know this dealer sometimes removes the tops for display.

I'm considering ordering from a dealer that is 3 hours away. I'm worried about showing up to pick up an ordered Jeep and finding something like this on the test drive and having to argue that it is not normal.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm a long time GM customer. Mainly half ton trucks and classic cars. I've always wanted an older Jeep as a second or third vehicle. I've decided it makes more sense for me to get a new Rubicon and use it as a daily driver. I've done all my research and last week I decided I would go drive one to see if I liked it.

I've driven used JKs and was convinced that I'd like the JL. During the test drive, everything was great but there were 2 noises that would bug me if it were an every day thing. At idle there was a harmonic low pitch rumble. It was the kind of rumble you get with bad motor mounts where the whole car shakes, only the car was not shaking. There was just this low frequency harmonic. The noise immediately stopped if I pressed on the gas at all.

The other noise was a buffeting sound at about 40 MPH as if one of the windows was cracked a little. I checked the windows and this was not the case.

I'm guessing this is not normal. I did not drive another Rubicon. Could both of these noises be related to improperly re-installed top? I know this dealer sometimes removes the tops for display.

I'm considering ordering from a dealer that is 3 hours away. I'm worried about showing up to pick up an ordered Jeep and finding something like this on the test drive and having to argue that it is not normal.
It's a convertible. It's not gonna ever seal up like a normal vehicle.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I heard buffeting in a 4 door when I test drove on the highway. Did not hear the noise in the 2 door, and ended up buying a 2 door.

I would imagine that a hardtop headliner of some kind would greatly reduce this.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
What you described is very specific noises. Iā€™d recommend you go to some other dealers and test drive rubicons. Or even better see if you can rent one someplace for an extended drive.

I know itā€™s a big decision. I started planning to get a wrangler back when JK build was still ongoing. Waited to see JL. Then test drove numerous JLs at different levels. Finally decided on Sahara and waited till ā€˜20s were available to see if they would add colors / when. Once the news came out about color add and timing my wife and I pulled the trigger on ā€˜20 Sahara. Took delivery 9/5. Itā€™s a daily driver. LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!! Song quote intended!!!!

Good luck!!!

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
I heard buffeting in a 4 door when I test drove on the highway. Did not hear the noise in the 2 door, and ended up buying a 2 door.

I would imagine that a hardtop headliner of some kind would greatly reduce this.
How do you find the handling / steering is at 70 - 75 on the highway?
I really want a 2 door and mine would be a daily driver (short drives), but I do one or two 2 hour highway trips a week.
- Dave

Sponsored

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
My 2 door rattles, squeaks, bumps, farts (says my wife.. because it's definitely not her.), and everything else under the sun. Wouldn't trade it for the world :) When we want a quiet ride, we take her Mazda.. which is never because she loves giving people the Jeep wave.

I really want a 2 door and mine would be a daily driver (short drives), but I do one or two 2 hour highway trips a week.
- Dave
We recently took it on a 7 hour trip up to the Adirondacks and the handling is great. Averaged 70-75 the whole way there and back.. no issues. I also have an August 2018 build with no recalls completed. No problems.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm assuming this was a hard top.

You might be surprised if you drive a soft top, in some ways they're more quiet

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There has never been a Wrangler made that didn't have noticeable noises that don't exist in other vehicles. Although my JLUR is quieter overall on the road than any of the older Wranglers I've owned, it's still not as quiet as other vehicles I've had. The hard top creeks more at certain temperatures and humidity levels due to what I believe to be the new lighter weight roof design. The buffeting you heard was probably also due to how the new hardtop fits to the windshield. I found that that varies from one JL to another. I was lucky enough to be able to choose between two Rubicons that were equipped exactly the same, and I chose the one that was quietest at highway speeds. A pure luxury driving experience just doesn't exist in a Wrangler and probably never will.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a convertible. It's not gonna ever seal up like a normal vehicle.
I get that. I drove a soft top 2016 JK that was not like this. BTW this Rubicon did not have the headliner. I am planning on getting the headliner.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 door rattles, squeaks, bumps, farts (says my wife.. because it's definitely not her.), and everything else under the sun. Wouldn't trade it for the world :) When we want a quiet ride, we take her Mazda.. which is never because she loves giving people the Jeep wave.

We recently took it on a 7 hour trip up to the Adirondacks and the handling is great. Averaged 70-75 the whole way there and back.. no issues. I also have an August 2018 build with no recalls completed. No problems.
This one was great at 70. No noises at all that I noticed.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Both noises are normal for the JL. I've owned two and both those sounds.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

I have a new Wrangler on order ,due in any day now. When I pick it up , I will definitely test drive it before I pay the balance due. ( gave them $1k deposit ) If I am in any way dissatisfied , I would walk away . That being said,we have a Sept 2018 build Sahara. With the hard top on there is no buffeting. Its great at all speeds. $1500 radio doesnt work well, but its a well loved member of the family.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I get that. I drove a soft top 2016 JK that was not like this. BTW this Rubicon did not have the headliner. I am planning on getting the headliner.
Yeah I think you'll find that soft tops are "quieter" when it comes to squeaks and air leaks.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
- Dave
I love my 2 door on the highway - I donā€™t have much of an issue keeping the steering under control on my ā€˜19. It wanders a little more than the Audi S5 I used to have but I was honestly expecting the Jeep to be much worse than it is.

The only thing that sucks is gas mileage above 70mph.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you described is very specific noises. Iā€™d recommend you go to some other dealers and test drive rubicons. Or even better see if you can rent one someplace for an extended drive.
Good luck!!!
I took your advice. I went to a different dealer and drove a Rubicon with a head liner. The harmonic at idle was only noticeable one time. The buffeting at 40-45 was still there, but not as pronounced. I tried messing with the AC and cracking windows but nothing stopped it. I'll admit that I am more sensitive to low frequency noises than others. I have tinnitus pretty bad. I can't even hear squealing brakes. It drives my wife crazy.

As I was trying to decide if I could live with the buffeting on my daily drive, which is mostly 40-45 MPH, I was irritated by the stiffness of the ride. Then I noticed the dealer had 45 lbs in all the tires. Since I did not notice it on the other Jeep, I'm guessing dropping to 32 would help a lot.

I must be getting (more) irritable in my old age.
Sponsored