Sponsored

shopping adventures (not)

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I've been scouring the listings and have not found any of the deals that are supposed to be out there. I should call this thread "silly dealer games".

I'm shopping at the low end of the market, within 500 miles of my location. I made a list of the vehicles that sounded most appropriate, with the best deals and started researching. The first lesson is that the price that is listed is likely not the real price. I found a number of dealers with real low prices listed, but you research and find out that they have a mandatory $3000 addendum that they don't tell you about until you get the final finance papers. This is for nitrogen in the tires, window tint, wheel locks, etc. Dealers have been doing this scam for a long time, they've just moved it up a notch. There are other dealers that just knock off part of the rebate. I saw one car advertised for $34k but when I inquired the price went up to $35k because the rebate no longer applied. So what that leaves are real prices that are more like 10% below MSRP. Also note that a lot of these prices are also contingent on using their financing, and they won't tell you the rate until you get to the point of signing the papers and they check your credit rating.

One dealer that I contacted said that they were very busy today (Saturday) so the market may be changing and people are ready to buy cars again. Everything in my area seems to be busy, except for the malls. The roads are packed, restaurants are packed, etc.

At the dealers that I looked through their entire inventory- there seem to be a disproportionate amount of 2-doors out there. Maybe there is room for negotiation on those. There also seem to be a lot of the 2.0L cars. I've seen reviews that really liked them but maybe the average buyer doesn't. And there are also a lot of black and white cars left, colors that I feel are undesirable, but I understand that there are a lot of fans of black, I'm not sure about white.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been scouring the listings and have not found any of the deals that are supposed to be out there. I should call this thread "silly dealer games".

I'm shopping at the low end of the market, within 500 miles of my location. I made a list of the vehicles that sounded most appropriate, with the best deals and started researching. The first lesson is that the price that is listed is likely not the real price. I found a number of dealers with real low prices listed, but you research and find out that they have a mandatory $3000 addendum that they don't tell you about until you get the final finance papers. This is for nitrogen in the tires, window tint, wheel locks, etc. Dealers have been doing this scam for a long time, they've just moved it up a notch. There are other dealers that just knock off part of the rebate. I saw one car advertised for $34k but when I inquired the price went up to $35k because the rebate no longer applied. So what that leaves are real prices that are more like 10% below MSRP. Also note that a lot of these prices are also contingent on using their financing, and they won't tell you the rate until you get to the point of signing the papers and they check your credit rating.

One dealer that I contacted said that they were very busy today (Saturday) so the market may be changing and people are ready to buy cars again. Everything in my area seems to be busy, except for the malls. The roads are packed, restaurants are packed, etc.

At the dealers that I looked through their entire inventory- there seem to be a disproportionate amount of 2-doors out there. Maybe there is room for negotiation on those. There also seem to be a lot of the 2.0L cars. I've seen reviews that really liked them but maybe the average buyer doesn't. And there are also a lot of black and white cars left, colors that I feel are undesirable, but I understand that there are a lot of fans of black, I'm not sure about white.
The Jeep dealer in my city of 325,000 has 4 2020 Wranglers left in stock and not sure he'll get any more 2020s. They usually have around 30 - 35. Sales have been brisk. And black and white are the most popular colors for the Wrangler so they are usually the most common on the lots.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The Jeep dealer in my city of 325,000 has 4 2020 Wranglers left in stock and not sure he'll get any more 2020s. They usually have around 30 - 35. Sales have been brisk. And black and white are the most popular colors for the Wrangler so they are usually the most common on the lots.
The dealers I've been looking at usually have about 20-60. In my metropolitan area we have at least 14 dealers, I've checked inventory on all of them. Some of the dealers are clearly scammers based on past reviews. Only 3 or 4 had vehicles in my price range.