First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
There is no excuse for a whining set of gears. These axles set up better than any previous generation. It's almost always an installer error or they give up after pounding the pinion out more than once because they've destroyed parts while in the process of making adjustments. So, to cover up the extra work it takes to get it right, they include a disclaimer. This is a red flag and you should consider someone else.

The Advantek axle has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Don't let that get stuck in your head. In fact, they changed a couple things that make it easier to get it right.

I don't have any experience with shops out that way. You could always ship me the axle and I'll set it up and ship it back, but that isn't cost effective either. I could walk you through it step by step over facetime if you want to buy all the tools. Watch the videos I made, too. It's not a difficult job, really. You'd be able to do this.
I am strongly considering doing it myself. I've already watched some YouTube videos and it doesn't appear to be something I'm not capable of. I'm not in a rush, the axle isn't installed yet so I have easy access to everything. I've been intimidated by so many people over the years about how difficult gears are and how so many specialty tools are needed. But I think I can buy some of the one time tools I need at Harbor Freight, do it myself, learn something, and save some money. I will look for your videos too and watch them. Thanks!!
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I am strongly considering doing it myself. I've already watched some YouTube videos and it doesn't appear to be something I'm not capable of. I'm not in a rush, the axle isn't installed yet so I have easy access to everything. I've been intimidated by so many people over the years about how difficult gears are and how so many specialty tools are needed. But I think I can buy some of the one time tools I need at Harbor Freight, do it myself, learn something, and save some money. I will look for your videos too and watch them. Thanks!!
You're very welcome. Just call me when you're ready and I can talk you through the tools you'll need and I will make time to get you through the gear job. 336-442-9463 for whenever you're ready.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
We're in a similar situation wanting to swap 3.45 to 4.10. Of the local shops I checked with that swore they could do it, NONE of them have gotten back to me.

I might do mine myself also. The Advantek just has a double roller ball bearing on the pinion, otherwise it's pretty much like the older D44. The big thing is just needing the right tools to install and remove the bearings. with the plastic cage on the double roller, it looks like care will need to be taken.

I've set up axles before with all the hot rod stuff I used to do, and working at a shop that built customs, but we were wanting to just hand this off to someone that does it all the time. Due to lack of interest, I'm probably just going to have to do the install and burn some weekend time.

Here's all the parts that showed up this week. The hardest things to find, were the D44 Advantek master kit (very low stock), the D44 Spicer 4.10 ring and pinion (everyone showed out of stock) and the Spicer D30 R&P were short supply also. If I had changed to any other ratio, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 were all in stock. 4.10 was showing out of stock at big axle suppliers, with Dana showing a shipping hold to the suppliers, mainly the rear gear set. There might be a front Eaton True Trac in there... :clap:

Also, prices quoted were ALL over the map. $227 for an R&P set, up to $462 for the same set. There was a significant price increase 2 weeks ago, and the bump was on all the 4x4 sites Monday the 2nd. The prices I paid were pretty much the older prices, with the master kits being the new prices. The front master kit is in a different box, but it's all Spicer parts. That came from the diff supplier, they buy direct from Spicer (individual parts) and then package their own kits at 4 levels of included parts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shop to do Dana Spicer Advantek Gears? Colorado - Denver 006 (800x600)

Jeep Wrangler JL Shop to do Dana Spicer Advantek Gears? Colorado - Denver 007 (800x600)

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
You're very welcome. Just call me when you're ready and I can talk you through the tools you'll need and I will make time to get you through the gear job. 336-442-9463 for whenever you're ready.
Every think of moving up by Idaho? ;)

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
We're in a similar situation wanting to swap 3.45 to 4.10. Of the local shops I checked with that swore they could do it, NONE of them have gotten back to me.

I might do mine myself also. The Advantek just has a double roller ball bearing on the pinion, otherwise it's pretty much like the older D44. The big thing is just needing the right tools to install and remove the bearings. with the plastic cage on the double roller, it looks like care will need to be taken.

I've set up axles before with all the hot rod stuff I used to do, and working at a shop that built customs, but we were wanting to just hand this off to someone that does it all the time. Due to lack of interest, I'm probably just going to have to do the install and burn some weekend time.

Here's all the parts that showed up this week. The hardest things to find, were the D44 Advantek master kit (very low stock), the D44 Spicer 4.10 ring and pinion (everyone showed out of stock) and the Spicer D30 R&P were short supply also. If I had changed to any other ratio, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 were all in stock. 4.10 was showing out of stock at big axle suppliers, with Dana showing a shipping hold to the suppliers, mainly the rear gear set. There might be a front Eaton True Trac in there... :clap:

Also, prices quoted were ALL over the map. $227 for an R&P set, up to $462 for the same set. There was a significant price increase 2 weeks ago, and the bump was on all the 4x4 sites Monday the 2nd. The prices I paid were pretty much the older prices, with the master kits being the new prices. The front master kit is in a different box, but it's all Spicer parts. That came from the diff supplier, they buy direct from Spicer (individual parts) and then package their own kits at 4 levels of included parts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shop to do Dana Spicer Advantek Gears? Colorado - Denver 007 (800x600)

To both of you, if you are thinking of doing them yourselves I encourage you to take the plunge. I was on the fence and regret letting a shop touch mine. I had a horrible experience and ended up redoing them myself. With @chevymitchell and a few others I got it done, and I fly a desk for a living. You can do it, and we’ll all be here to help.

OP
OP
kis_face

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr

Sorry to hear your trouble getting parts. But this sounds promising to me haha, as I planned on selling the 4.10 ring and pinion that came in the axle. I was worried there wouldn't be a demand for the 4.10 gears, maybe I'm wrong!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have thought about moving to Colorado, but that won't happen with my family situation here in NC. Lol.

Maybe one day.
And there I was thinking I might have a trail buddy in the near future!!

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
And there I was thinking I might have a trail buddy in the near future!!
Over half my family lives in Colorado, but my kiddo situation keeps me in NC, which I don't mind at all. It's super nice out here.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Over half my family lives in Colorado, but my kiddo situation keeps me in NC, which I don't mind at all. It's super nice out here.
Indeed--love the "jungle" ;)

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Sorry to hear your trouble getting parts. But this sounds promising to me haha, as I planned on selling the 4.10 ring and pinion that came in the axle. I was worried there wouldn't be a demand for the 4.10 gears, maybe I'm wrong!
What I found out was, the part number on the Spicer website for the 4.10 D44 part, is out of stock all over. Some show it as no longer available. West Coast Differential has an entire pallet of the 10062033 part number on order, back ordered. They say that's the one gear ratio they can't seem to get, they have everything else for the D44 in stock. They did find a superceded part number, that it won't allow them to order, Spicer has it on a hold. They said that typically when they do that, it means they're selling to an OEM and haven't released the part into the aftermarket even though it's the updated part.

The part I ordered from one of the only two places that showed actual stock, ended up being a 10159664 when it arrived, which is the part number the diff place told me was the superceded part for the 4.10 for the Advantek D44. Not sure which warehouse had the new part, I ordered from Rock Auto of all places. They were literally the only one that said they had actual stock. I ordered the 10062033 part number off their website and got the updated part. I'm sure it was drop shipped from one of their partner warehouses.

So far, it looks like supply tightened up, but they are being produced. Looks like the OEM's are getting priority on the parts. That would make sense, Jeep uses 4.10 OEM, and they're getting orders for a lot of Rubicons or tow package Gladiators.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I have thought about moving to Colorado, but that won't happen with my family situation here in NC. Lol.

Maybe one day.
Ah well, it was worth a shot! Just got told at a training in Irvine CA the last couple days, that anyone of us that wanted a change of scenery and wants to move to Greensboro NC will have a job waiting. They're going to need a bunch more qualified individuals for a plant expansion.

We like it down there, but my wife has a solid job in Idaho (as do I) that she's planning on doing until she retires.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ah well, it was worth a shot! Just got told at a training in Irvine CA the last couple days, that anyone of us that wanted a change of scenery and wants to move to Greensboro NC will have a job waiting. They're going to need a bunch more qualified individuals for a plant expansion.

We like it down there, but my wife has a solid job in Idaho (as do I) that she's planning on doing until she retires.
Yeah, I'm about 8 minutes from Volvo right down 40.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
If you're serious about doing it yourself, I can probably help. I've done several axles myself. Between my friend and me we have all the tools you need, including a case spreader and a stand to hold the axle while you work on it. I'm in Castle Rock and my buddy is out near Elizabeth.

I won't have free time until after memorial day but I'd be willing to pitch in.