First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question so let me know if I should post this in a different category.

I purchased a rear Dana 44 Rubicon crate axle, brand new, with factory 4.10 gearing. I need to have 4.56 gears installed in it and will be installing factory Dana Spicer gears.

I have called 2 shops I've used in the past and both wanted to pass on installing them unless I was okay with them possibly whining. I was told by one shop that setting up The JL Advantek gears is a nightmare and that they haven't heard of anyone figuring out the correct sequence yet. Apparently they don't know how Dana is setting them up at the factory but were very clear with me that they will probably whine.

Whining gears is not acceptable to me. So my question is, who has had gears installed in the Denver, Colorado area that is satisfied with the install? More specifically, gears that were installed in the new Advantek axles. Can anyone refer me to a reputable shop?

I have been on the Dana aftermarket website and can only find authorized dealers of parts, but not authorized installers. I want a shop that is very familiar with Dana axles and the new Advantek version of the D44.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question so let me know if I should post this in a different category.

I purchased a rear Dana 44 Rubicon crate axle, brand new, with factory 4.10 gearing. I need to have 4.56 gears installed in it and will be installing factory Dana Spicer gears.

I have called 2 shops I've used in the past and both wanted to pass on installing them unless I was okay with them possibly whining. I was told by one shop that setting up The JL Advantek gears is a nightmare and that they haven't heard of anyone figuring out the correct sequence yet. Apparently they don't know how Dana is setting them up at the factory but were very clear with me that they will probably whine.

Whining gears is not acceptable to me. So my question is, who has had gears installed in the Denver, Colorado area that is satisfied with the install? More specifically, gears that were installed in the new Advantek axles. Can anyone refer me to a reputable shop?

I have been on the Dana aftermarket website and can only find authorized dealers of parts, but not authorized installers. I want a shop that is very familiar with Dana axles and the new Advantek version of the D44.

Thanks!
Are you willing to travel? If so, Northridge4x4 can do them.

FWIW, the Dana’s seem to be the only ones that generally don’t whine. I installed them and I’d never done gears before. I’ve got new ones on order for my new JL

OP
OP
kis_face

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
Are you willing to travel? If so, Northridge4x4 can do them.

FWIW, the Dana’s seem to be the only ones that generally don’t whine. I installed them and I’d never done gears before. I’ve got new ones on order for my new JL
Thanks for the info! I wish Northridge was closer. That's a bit too far for me.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That’s ridiculous. I had never done gears before and mine have 0 whine. Seems like those shops just don’t know what they’re doing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kis_face

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
That’s ridiculous. I had never done gears before and mine have 0 whine. Seems like those shops just don’t know what they’re doing.
"That's ridiculous" was my exact thought too. But with two different shops telling me similar stories I thought maybe I was missing something. But then again regearing is so common, it can't be true 🤷‍♂️

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
I have not used them personally but I have two friends who have had gears done at The Edge Automotive and were very happy with the work.

They're also booked out for months, so be prepared to make an appointment and wait.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Dana Spicer makes the best gears for their own axles and they would never whine unless installed incorrectly, which from the description, both those shops do not know how to install them.

I looked around for a shop some time ago and Colorado Axle and Gear had some pretty good reviews.

In the end, I drove to North Carolina and @chevymitchell installed mine. He discovered the previous shop also did not know what they were doing.

OP
OP
kis_face

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
I have not used them personally but I have two friends who have had gears done at The Edge Automotive and were very happy with the work.

They're also booked out for months, so be prepared to make an appointment and wait.
Thanks! 473 google reviews with 5 stars đź‘Ť

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got good news and bad news. First the bad: I was in the same situation a few months back. Called around to several recommended shops along the Front Range and everyone who’d do it was heinously expensive-double what I ended up paying. I was willing to travel so called Northridge in Salt Lake. Made the trip out there and they did a great job and bonus- by the time I did the beautiful 500 mile drive home they were broken in. Dana Spicer kits all around, 4.88’s, No whine, everything’s perfect. My rationale: if it’s worth doing at all it’s worth the time/effort to have it done right. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kis_face

kis_face

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.6 JL 2-dr
Dana Spicer makes the best gears for their own axles and they would never whine unless installed incorrectly, which from the description, both those shops do not know how to install them.

I looked around for a shop some time ago and Colorado Axle and Gear had some pretty good reviews.

In the end, I drove to North Carolina and @chevymitchell installed mine. He discovered the previous shop also did not know what they were doing.
Thanks! I'll look into Colorado axle. NC is too far for me

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I'll look into Colorado axle. NC is too far for me
I have no direct experience with them, but here is the contact info:

Email: [email protected]
Hours: 8AM – 5PM Mon – Fri
Address: 2611 W. 64th Ave # A
Denver, CO. 80221
Phone: (303)286-0338
(800)893-0338

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Thanks! 473 google reviews with 5 stars đź‘Ť
I'll second the recommendation of The Edge. Chris and his crew do good work. The few times I didn't do work on my own Jeep, I took it there.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
"That's ridiculous" was my exact thought too. But with two different shops telling me similar stories I thought maybe I was missing something. But then again regearing is so common, it can't be true 🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately it’s a dying art. There aren’t many guys out there who take the time to get them perfect.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Thanks!
There is no excuse for a whining set of gears. These axles set up better than any previous generation. It's almost always an installer error or they give up after pounding the pinion out more than once because they've destroyed parts while in the process of making adjustments. So, to cover up the extra work it takes to get it right, they include a disclaimer. This is a red flag and you should consider someone else.

The Advantek axle has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Don't let that get stuck in your head. In fact, they changed a couple things that make it easier to get it right.

I don't have any experience with shops out that way. You could always ship me the axle and I'll set it up and ship it back, but that isn't cost effective either. I could walk you through it step by step over facetime if you want to buy all the tools. Watch the videos I made, too. It's not a difficult job, really. You'd be able to do this.
Sponsored