Shocks. Want to hear some insight on fox 2.5 or like shocks

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I have called accutune about the fox 2.5s twice now and neither person has sold me on them. I'm okay with that. I'd rather them be honest and tell me a 2.0 rr would work better. I just can't see why or how a 2.5 couldn't be valved to be like a 2.0 yet also have the benefits of the 2.5. Especially with the ability to adjust more.

I don't do much off roading as of now. I plan on doing more and more. I do like to play from time to time. But the trails where I live are more eroded land and not rocks. I want the best possible on road ride with the ability to take on washboard roads and the unforeseen potholes or wash out. When I explain this they tell me the 2.5 will be just as harsh or worse than the fox 2.0 ifp I currently have.

Anyone have any real world experience? I'm looking for anything I can get. The fox 2.0 ifp i have now equates to body roll and the on road is a loose feeling. Raised man holes or one's that are sunk in seem to hit really abrupt. Although there isn't any after effect. When off road it's the same thing. Something you would think it would soak up, jars you. I dunno maybe I'm too picky.
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I mean, you read this page right?
https://accutuneoffroad.com/jeep-shocks-do-i-need-2-0-or-2-5-shocks/

And in particular:
-Which shocks should I get if I want the best street ride, but also go off-road?

~For most people the 2.0 shocks are the best solution.

-Are there any disadvantages to running too large of a shock?

~Large shocks are naturally stiffer than smaller shocks, so if a shock is too big it may ride poorly.

It sounds like you are focused on having a soft ride. Since larger diameter shocks are stiffer, that's the opposite of what you want. So they're recommending 2.0 shocks.

Why do you want the 2.5s instead of 2.0? The main benefit is the ability to dissipate more heat over extended fast hard off road sessions, and you're not doing that. Remote reservoir shock upgrade allows more tuning, adjustability, longer life vs IFP shocks you have now.

-random guy on the Internet who's been geeking out on the suspension pages for too long.

OP
OP

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
Hahahah i appreciate the info. I've read their page through and through. I know what they say and i trust it. I've researched as much as i can. I've also seen others say the on road is awesome and it soaks up the small stuff. I want a shock to grow with. The adjustability of the 2.5 is what's most appealing. The 2.0 rr has just a low speed adjustment. I just dont see how we don't have a shock that can do it all.

How does a new stock f250 ride better than my jeep on road. Obviously it's not as capable and I'm comparing apples to mangos but how is the on road ride of a 9k lb truck better than a jeep? Wheel base? How is there not a shock that can do both? Am i asking too much? Why can't the on road be plush and smooth and then be able to adjust via dsc for off road? Obviously I'd want to add bumps of some sort to add some comfort up top. I just don't see why it is so hard with the technology we have now to have both.

I'm not just trying to spend money to spend money. I want the best option i can get. The only downside to the 2.0 is limited adjustments. I don't need or want the 2.5 to show off or to be a conversation piece. It just seems like the shock to handle anything i personally would throw at it. But the 2.0 may do everything i need it to. What it boils down to is, i only want to spend the money once.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You need the 2.0s tuned for one, the 2.5s can get good, but theres still the inherent stiffness. A soft 2.0 and a soft 2.5 a 2.0 will ride better. Pretty much what BJ said and the accutune quote is 100%

The ifps will hit a point where the fluid just foams as opposed to a remote resi, theres only so much dampening they can take until they overpower the ifp. (Which i dont believe you are not hitting, just saying) Light offroading and trail riding a tuned set of 2.0 remote resis will ride the best. If you do any extended offroading with good speed and good hits a 2.5 will benefit.

you dont know how those ifps are valved for one, off the shelf most of the time is not that great because they try to please the masses.

I love 2.5 or bigger, but i prefer speed. Potholes and speed bumps and stuff are high speed events, a 2.0 will feel better because it has less volume and oil to move through, The easier the flow the easier the absorbtion, but more heat. which is where a bypass shock can come in. However you add extra layers of issues or tuning that is required on that.

OP
OP

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I read up on your review and a few others. I was liking what i was reading but honestly i don't have the type of terrain you guys do. I hope to one day be able to experience it, but for now it could be a while or years before that happens. I could find a shitty road, or trail, just to do it, but it's not like that's the way to THE trail. It would be just to feel the suspension. Maybe what i need is the 2.0s. I could always upgrade if the driving style or terrain changed. I appreciate your input and i will take it into consideration. Maybe I'll call them back tomorrow and see what they can do with the 2.0 to help me out.

When i told them what i wanted, both people told me 2.0. I trust them too, but like i said, i only want to do this once if i can help it. I know you've done this several times 🤣.. I just don't want to throw money at shocks over and over. I have rebuilt my control arm joints and track bar joints to make sure that wasn't the issue. It definitely helped tighten things up, but the same issues i had were there.

Light off road and trails will probably be it for now

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hahahah i appreciate the info. I've read their page through and through. I know what they say and i trust it. I've researched as much as i can. I've also seen others say the on road is awesome and it soaks up the small stuff. I want a shock to grow with. The adjustability of the 2.5 is what's most appealing. The 2.0 rr has just a low speed adjustment. I just dont see how we don't have a shock that can do it all.

How does a new stock f250 ride better than my jeep on road. Obviously it's not as capable and I'm comparing apples to mangos but how is the on road ride of a 9k lb truck better than a jeep? Wheel base? How is there not a shock that can do both? Am i asking too much? Why can't the on road be plush and smooth and then be able to adjust via dsc for off road? Obviously I'd want to add bumps of some sort to add some comfort up top. I just don't see why it is so hard with the technology we have now to have both.

I'm not just trying to spend money to spend money. I want the best option i can get. The only downside to the 2.0 is limited adjustments. I don't need or want the 2.5 to show off or to be a conversation piece. It just seems like the shock to handle anything i personally would throw at it. But the 2.0 may do everything i need it to. What it boils down to is, i only want to spend the money once.
Motion ratio plays a big roll in new vehicles with independent suspension. A new straight axle 250 will run very stiff springs and incredibly soft shocks. Stock shocks are just enough dampened to control the springs ocillation on normal road driving. The wheelbase helps tame it down, i guarantee it rides stiffer. Theres so many different things at work with suspension dynamics. Body and other road dampening and such too.

if you want a do it all, get the fox 2.5s, it may be a bit stiffer but marginal if tuned. They will take whatever you throw at them. You can make a shock do-good at everything but not proficient at all of them. Youre going to give up one thing or the other. Soft on road, blows through travel offroad. Fantastic offroad soaking everything up, stiff on road (typically). Again a bypass can help, but it will take a lot of dialing in

OP
OP

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
Thank you. I appreciate the help. Now my head hurts

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The 2.5s are cool and I love the look of them, but unless you're doing higher speed with whoops I don't see them being a good choice. From what you've said I don't see the 2.5s being a good choice for you. The adjustability is cool, but honestly are you going to fine tune them for each trail situation? Do you know what trail types will require what variances? Are you having massive changes in your load amount that you'll need to up the compression? I think you're getting wrapped up in thoughts that won't actually be a reality.

Below is true assuming your tire pressures, etc are all properly. Tires are #1 suspension component for comfort. You shouldn't run low psi on pavement because of heat that builds in the tire; run the proper pressure for your weight and tire size. As you go up in tire size or load rating, pressure will go down.

for pavement driving, digressive shocks are better. Bilstein, Falcons, etc get stiff quick and hold so they greatly help with handling. But in bumps and especially washboard roads they are not a good choice. AEV kits handle great on road and crap on washboards and a lot of it has to do with their spec in shocks.

For offroading, linear shocks like Fox are great and will do better for small bumps. Naturally they're going to be softer at small, slower speed inputs and have more body roll on pavement.

While not 100% true, in general springs hold up the vehicle and shocks control comfort. Springs do affect comfort, but not as much as shocks.

Here's my story that might help you see some light on why 2.0s are probably best for you. I have a massive variation in my jeeps loads. I go doorless/topless most of the summer unless I'm on a trip, I go offroading frequently for day trips where I'm either snow wheeling (cold temps) or just normal wheeling where I run a relatively light setup... but then there is my overlanding setup which I spend 30% or more of my miles doing. For overlanding I have 3 young kids and a dog so I have no interior space. I often do remote places where I have to carry fuel and that is 70lb on my rear bumper. I also tow a trailer for this. These trips are usually me driving 1-3 days to get somewhere via pavement pounding trying to take scenic back routes (curvy roads) and then 5-10days on dirt. These dirt days have many miles of washboard roads shaking the crap out of my jeep. I use remote reservoirs because of this, but even with this large variation of loads, I don't find the 2.5s to be needed. Plus the larger diameter makes it a LOT stiffer shock naturally. I run the 2.0fox RRs. I do run the Falcon 2.2 front stabilizer so I can soften up steering for crawling and stiffen up steering for highway, but often just leave it set on medium and don't fuss with it. There is a reason fox calls the 2.5s a race shock, it is meant for speed and really fine tuning a ride. A tuned shock is usually a big improvement over an off the shelf shock, and I'd expect you'd be very happy with a 2.0 or 2.0 RR shock custom tuned for your jeep. From what I've see you say, the only thing that might justify a remote reservoir is the washboards and depends on how much and for how long you do those.

I think if you took a step back from your tunnel vision of wanting the 2.5s and thought about how many people are advising you against it, it might sink in that maybe you're expectations do not align with the reality you'll experience. I'm not trying to sound critical or anything, I've been in your shoes with this kind of stuff before where I get caught up in wanting something that really isn't best for my use model. You don't even do that much offroading right now, maybe save some coin and put it towards other things that will make a much bigger deal for offroading enjoyment. Also a shock like the 2.5 should be rebuilt every 15-20k miles which is something to consider. The 2.0 also have to be rebuilt frequently to keep them running well. Not that hard to do, but it is time and expense to take your shocks off, pull them apart, replace seals and refill them with oil and nitrogen charge (assuming you do the work yourself). I personally try to reduce all that maintenance add ons so I have more time to do fun things.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I appreciate the help. Now my head hurts
I’m running the 2.5s and I love them. Everyone is giving you good advise here. It sounds to me that what you want is unattainable for now. You can get the 2.5s with different tunes from Accutune. Pick which tune that’s closest to what your looking for. The ride and feel of shocks is extremely subjective so it’s hard for anyone to recommend something for you. Soft to you may feel harsh to me etc....

I got my shocks off the shelf and because of crazy discounts , got them cheap. Otherwise I would have ordered from Accutune and got them valved the way I wanted. They are so close to being exactly what I want them to be , I haven’t justified sending them in for re-valve. But when they’re do for service I’ll have them tuned at that point.

They’re really not that bad. My nitpick is I want them to be softer off-road. It feels like I’m only a click or two from being perfect, lol. The on-road ride is pretty awesome, a little firm, but not teeth loosening, and don’t feel the small stuff at all. Less nose dive and squat, and way less lean in the corners.

I’m not saying the 2.0s are a bad choice , it’s just that, everyone I know gets into off-roading more over time , never seen guys say” that was fun, but I don’t think I’ll do that again”...🤣..... With 2.5s, they’ll benefit you more in the future. Also listen to @Moto_21 , he knows a thing or two because he’s seen a thing or two....😁Anyway....just my .02......✌

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've run Fox 2.0's, RK RRD's, and now Fox 2.5's.

The 2.0's were a huge improvement over the factory Rubi shocks. Drove much nicer on road and better off road.

The RRD's were ok but leaked a lot from all 4 shocks. Not the expected weeping but leaking - if jeep parked for 4 or 5 days one or two drips of shock oil on the garage floor. They drove well on/off road when new.

The 2.5's I have now (@Moto_21's old shocks via AccuTune) work great. Like @Roky I wish they were a tad softer all around but will solve that when they need a rebuild. Even being a bit stiff they are way better than the 2.0's and the RRD's both on and off road. I live in Maryland and on road can still be pretty pot-hole and washboard asphalt and they do really well to keep things controlled. Off road they are animals at high speed and really do a good job.

If I needed to do it again? I'd go 2.5's (or 3.0's if the price was not insane) right from the get go. I'd go with Accutune to get them dialed in for my liking.

I do off road quite a bit; usually out 2 or 3 weekends a month; but also my primary driver; so it sees 500 to 700 miles of on road a month as well (except this past year as COVID has reduced that a lot).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
Thanks guys. All great info. The 2.0 rr seem to be the better choice for me, at least for now. I appreciate all the feedback. I hope i can come to a decision soon.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Any updates?
I'm not OP, but since I've had my 2.5 DSC shocks for a 10k miles or more over a variety of driving conditions and I've become aware that their dual speed adjustable selectivity is NOT a feature of the 2.0 remote reservoir shocks.

And I find I use that full range of adjustability.

Lightly loaded rock crawling - as soft as possible on low and high, at all four corners.

Standard highway driving, soft on low speed, two or three clicks on high speed.

Towing my boat, max high speed on rears, middle of range low speed on rears, and two additional clicks hi speed on the fronts.

Heavily loaded for camping, 8/10 on high at all four corners to control the how the loaded Jeep handles, especially over passes where it's really windy. Mid of range on low speed.

Based on all that, (and running 37" tires, which are fairly big and heavy - I might have a different recommendation if still on 33s) I find I'm real glad my shop recommended 2.5 DSC shocks instead of 2.0 remote reservoir shocks.

Also, as an afterthought, I go to Death Valley a fair amount, and it's easy to run hours in a row on washboarded roads, which absolutely heat up and take a toll on shocks. So for that reason, I'm also glad I have the 2.5s.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
OP have you looked at Kings? In my experience they tend to ride softer out of the box than Fox. Regardless of brand you go with, I believe you'll find the answer by pairing with an appropriate coil spring.
Sponsored