Sponsored

Shocks for a a softer ride on JKS 2.5 HD lift?

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I've just got the JKS jspec 2.5" lift with heavy duty springs due to all the weight I have ( 15 gal water, fridge etc, camping gear winch).

The ride is just too darn harsh at speeds under 45. Above that on gravel or freeway and it's just fine. Any recommended shocks? I see the fox racing performance shocks, but can get little info on how it compares to the JKS gas shocks I have now.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would guess the harsh ride is more due to stiffer springs than the shocks. Although it could be a combination of both. Are your springs dual rate? If they are too heavily loaded it might be compressing the softer stage and you hit the second stage too soon. I have the mopar lift and I notice the soft linear spring rate is pretty awesome ride quality wise. The shocks and springs are individually tuned for the weight of the vehicle at each corner.

OP
OP
jeppesen.io

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I would guess the harsh ride is more due to stiffer springs than the shocks. Although it could be a combination of both. Are your springs dual rate? If they are too heavily loaded it might be compressing the softer stage and you hit the second stage too soon. I have the mopar lift and I notice the soft linear spring rate is pretty awesome ride quality wise. The shocks and springs are individually tuned for the weight of the vehicle at each corner.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too - but I did get the heavier springs. Trouble is I can't tell which it could be.

I figure if I can't elelminate the issue, better shocks may reduce it, even if compensating for the non-ideal springs.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I just bought this same lift with HD Springs. I haven’t received it yet but it’ll be installed by the end of the week. I’m hoping it’s not too rough... I know that Fox shocks were supposed to be an option at some point with this kit, but they haven’t released any info to my knowledge on the topic.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The stiff ride will be due to the springs not the shocks. Spring rate will decide how stiff the ride is. The shocks just keep you from bouncing all over the place.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
So, I finally received my JKS with HD springs and JKS shocks. It rides like a dream on the road. Even better than the Rubi take offs I was on before.

jayinyourway

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So, I finally received my JKS with HD springs and JKS shocks. It rides like a dream on the road. Even better than the Rubi take offs I was on before.
Are you still loving this kit? My local 4x4 shop is pushing this kit but I'd love some outside info...

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Are you still loving this kit? My local 4x4 shop is pushing this kit but I'd love some outside info...
I do. I haven’t had any issues. I have had it on for about three months. It can be a little bouncy on the highway and stiff on the roads but I think some of that is coming from my stuff tires.