Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I've had a few people ask for access to my shock & spring charts, so I decided to put all this in a sharable format that anyone can access or download & modify. There's more than one tab at the bottom, feel free to view or download.

Shock Matrix
The following fields highlighted in yellow are adjustable.
  • The 'Ride Height' field uses my JLR as a base, but your Jeep may ride differently. Be sure to check the shock eye-to-eye measurements for accuracy.
  • 'Bump Travel' (or Up Travel) just turns some of the text red that is outside of the recommended range
Capture.PNG

OEM Springs: a never complete list of all the spring combinations

2.PNG

Rear Motion Ratio: shows how the rear shock's response isn't linear to suspension travel, and most important at lower ride heights

Spring Rates: a small list of spring rates I have collected from this forum

Caster: another small list, this time of caster measurements using fixed arms

Wheelbase: comparing the JL to other Jeeps

Breakover: how the JL & JT breakover angles change at various heights
Quite impressed in your research and you skill with MS Excel, I applaud you...
Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Quite impressed in your research and you skill with MS Excel, I applaud you...
Thanks! Check out this one too.

This is actually all done in Google Sheets, which isn't quite as versatile as Excel... but it's free and can be easily shared.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks! Check out this one too.

This is actually all done in Google Sheets, which isn't quite as versatile as Excel... but it's free and can be easily shared.
Thank you, actually its in MS Excel, I downloaded it it is a MS Excel file and contains mucho good data...

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Thank you, actually its in MS Excel, I downloaded it it is a MS Excel file and contains mucho good data...
Ahh yes... exported to Excel. Some things might not work quite right (like graphs) due to the conversion process not being perfect.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ahh yes... exported to Excel. Some things might not work quite right (like graphs) due to the conversion process not being perfect.
If anything its Excel. I have using it since I was a BETA tester for MS. I know ole Bill from back in the 80s, not exactly a rocket scientist...

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
If anything, it's EXCELlent.
Word. Being able to Access my data has really changed my Outlook, giving me more than a Surface-deep Edge over other Teams.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
I didnā€™t want to mess up the nice google drive document, but got this information from Teraflex today (I was hoping the 3.3 piggy back was <28ā€œ extension length, since Iā€˜ve heard >28ā€ I need drive shaft).

DF22BF71-8570-474C-991D-E5A345EDC2BD.jpeg

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I didnā€™t want to mess up the nice google drive document, but got this information from Teraflex today (I was hoping the 3.3 piggy back was <28ā€œ extension length, since Iā€˜ve heard >28ā€ I need drive shaft).
You can run a limiting strap if too worried.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Anyone know what the limit for the rear suspension is as in shock length? And longest compressed length?

I have an idea to add the rough country vertex, 2-3ā€ shock in front and 3.5-4.5 in the rear. I know the rear compress to 17.50ā€ stock, but whatā€™s the longest rear shock we can run? Iā€™m gonna buy a half in shim kit for the bumpstops as well in preparation for when i install my rubi xr springs
Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix B618BB58-0AF2-4D74-BA01-6CD0621AACF9

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Anyone know what the limit for the rear suspension is as in shock length? And longest compressed length?

I have an idea to add the rough country vertex, 2-3ā€ shock in front and 3.5-4.5 in the rear. I know the rear compress to 17.50ā€ stock, but whatā€™s the longest rear shock we can run? Iā€™m gonna buy a half in shim kit for the bumpstops as well in preparation for when i install my rubi xr springs
Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix B618BB58-0AF2-4D74-BA01-6CD0621AACF9
The XR springs donā€™t make that much difference. I wouldnā€™t worry at all about shocks or bumpstops unless you are doing a full proper lift.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

B618BB58-0AF2-4D74-BA01-6CD0621AACF9.png
So rear limiting factors other than shocks is going to be parking brake cable (you'll likely need to do the "flip" - run the cable under the frame xmember) and the rear sway bar contacting the shock body (links/spacers are the fix there).

May want to check free length of the springs you are using vs full droop spring length to make sure they'll stay in place.

That said, you should be able to get into the 30" extended range in the rear if you can keep the springs in and the sway bar off the shocks.

I definitely see your concern with the rear Vertex 2-3s, sub 10" stroke on reservoirs is not impressive, and it only adds like an inch extended. Especially for $450/shock.

May I ask what's driving you toward the Vertex's?

Also, what inputs are you using in the spreadsheet for lift and bump?

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
The XR springs donā€™t make that much difference. I wouldnā€™t worry at all about shocks or bumpstops unless you are doing a full proper lift.
Some jeeps that have had it installed got some nice gains, im messing with bumpstops because I wanna set up the shocks correctly.

So rear limiting factors other than shocks is going to be parking brake cable (you'll likely need to do the "flip" - run the cable under the frame xmember) and the rear sway bar contacting the shock body (links/spacers are the fix there).

May want to check free length of the springs you are using vs full droop spring length to make sure they'll stay in place.

That said, you should be able to get into the 30" extended range in the rear if you can keep the springs in and the sway bar off the shocks.

I definitely see your concern with the rear Vertex 2-3s, sub 10" stroke on reservoirs is not impressive, and it only adds like an inch extended. Especially for $450/shock.

May I ask what's driving you toward the Vertex's?

Also, what inputs are you using in the spreadsheet for lift and bump?
For inputs, adding 1.5in of lift, Rubi xr springs. And 0.5in bumpstop spacers estimating it since it looks like thereā€™s some pretty gnarly rake on the XR springs so I may get 392 front springs instead.

Looking at the vertex mostly for it being adjustable, and I want a more controlled ride, but the rear travel seems kind of average. But the price point is much more digestible than something like the fox 2.5.

For the spring heights, @nyglt56 seems to be running 30in shocks but has a 1.5in spacer on his springs to clear his 40s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix 1ADEEA1B-B7B8-4E8C-B6B1-103AE9A7FDF3

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Some jeeps that have had it installed got some nice gains, im messing with bumpstops because I wanna set up the shocks correctly.

For inputs, adding 1.5in of lift, Rubi xr springs. And 0.5in bumpstop spacers estimating it since it looks like thereā€™s some pretty gnarly rake on the XR springs so I may get 392 front springs instead.

Looking at the vertex mostly for it being adjustable, and I want a more controlled ride, but the rear travel seems kind of average. But the price point is much more digestible than something like the fox 2.5.

For the spring heights, @nyglt56 seems to be running 30in shocks but has a 1.5in spacer on his springs to clear his 40s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix 1ADEEA1B-B7B8-4E8C-B6B1-103AE9A7FDF3
You are running 35s, sport fenders, and no bump right now?
Sponsored