Sponsored

Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
that's why i got longer (adjustable) LCAs after the Mopar (diesel) lift; the LCAs that come with the kit weren't as long as i wanted.

Anyone know what the factor caster on a '22 Sahara JLU Diesel should be?

Reason I ask, is I had the Teraflex 2" Leveling/Lift kit put on (2" spacer front, 1.5" spacer rear). At the same time, installed the Mopar extended LCAs ) I sourced these, so I know they were the right units).

Post alignment, my caster is ~4.8-4.9 degrees. Just seems like it should have been higher with the extended LCAs (even with the marginal spacer lift that was installed).

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Sponsored

STLJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
that's why i got longer (adjustable) LCAs after the Mopar (diesel) lift; the LCAs that come with the kit weren't as long as i wanted.
Don't get me wrong, even at 4.8-4.9 degrees caster, the thing still rides/tracks remarkable well, so maybe there is a point of diminishing returns to getting the caster 6.0-6.5 (in my instance).

Curious which ones you went with?

I liked the idea of the Mopar Extended LCAs, as they mostly looked stock in case the warranty guy every started nitpicking stuff.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
if yours is fine for you, you may be fine in not messing with it!
i liked the perceived increase in straight-line directional stability, which is traded for some diminished 'return to center' force (which i personally don't mind).

i went with Teraflex
JL / JT: Alpine Short Control Arm Kit – Front Lower (0-4.5” Lift)
SKU: 1416500

Don't get me wrong, even at 4.8-4.9 degrees caster, the thing still rides/tracks remarkable well, so maybe there is a point of diminishing returns to getting the caster 6.0-6.5 (in my instance).

Curious which ones you went with?

I liked the idea of the Mopar Extended LCAs, as they mostly looked stock in case the warranty guy every started nitpicking stuff.

STLJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
if yours is fine for you, you may be fine in not messing with it!
i liked the perceived increase in straight-line directional stability, which is traded for some diminished 'return to center' force (which i personally don't mind).

i went with Teraflex
JL / JT: Alpine Short Control Arm Kit – Front Lower (0-4.5” Lift)
SKU: 1416500
I've tooled around with the idea of adding some geo brackets, just to see how much of an improvement I can get (with minimal labor/cost, in case I decide to ditch them later).

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I've tooled around with the idea of adding some geo brackets, just to see how much of an improvement I can get (with minimal labor/cost, in case I decide to ditch them later).
I am new to this forum so I hope this is an appropriate post. A month or so ago I bought a used JLR with about 2300 miles on it. I noticed last night that the part numbers on my passenger rear shock does not match the part number on my left rear shock. Further the passenger shock appears to have the last six of my VIN on it and the left shock does not. Additionally, the left shock says made in Canada. Also when I looked up rear shocks under my VIN neither number comes up. Boyh shocks are red and both have the Mopar emblem.

To complicate this further, the numbers on the front shocks match, but when I look up front shocks under my VIN a different part number comes up. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

By the way, I am very happy with the ride. I have not yet had it off road. I have had a couple of four door JKs, one of which was a rubicon, and a JTR and my new JL rides better than all of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Some interesting info about the XR springs, thought it fit the theme of this thread.

Stock springs yes. 12" travel shock, not sure what the eye to eye measurement is but that doesn't matter. The stock coil could easily handle a 14" travel shock without unseating.

I did 1" bumps front and rear to fit the 40s. But my XR didn't have the crazy extended towers like some did. Cycle your suspension, figure what you need.

I've also had no issues with the e disco and longer links.

2022-06-16_11-43-48.jpg

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Hey guys, looking to replace my Metalcloak rocksports but don't want to lose travel. Anyone come out with an equivalent or better (outside of 6 pack...)? Northridge is claiming that the FOX 2.5 get 12 inches of travel but I don't remember them drooping near as much as the rocksport when I was here researching a few years back.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hey guys, looking to replace my Metalcloak rocksports but don't want to lose travel. Anyone come out with an equivalent or better (outside of 6 pack...)? Northridge is claiming that the FOX 2.5 get 12 inches of travel but I don't remember them drooping near as much as the rocksport when I was here researching a few years back.
Gonna be hard to match the Rocksports up front. With the outboard 1.5", they end up dead nuts on compression with 3" of bump.

I'm running Bilstein 5160 Remote Res 3-4.5" with MC Outboards. Give up about 1/2" up front on droop. Gain back almost 2" out back.

I just add a second line for the shock in a download of @AnnDee4444 's spreadsheet and add 1.5" on both front compression and extension for the outboards:

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix 1673886780601

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Northridge is claiming that the FOX 2.5 get 12 inches of travel but I don't remember them drooping near as much as the rocksport when I was here researching a few years back.
Rear Elite Series 2.5 Specs:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...s-2-5-reservoir-shocks-rear-4-5-6in-lift-pair

• Body - 2.5" impact extruded and CNC machined 6061-T6 hard anodized aluminum body resists rust over time
  • Body Plating - Hard-anodized for a durable finish
  • Reservoir - External reservoir design separates shock oil from the high-pressure nitrogen
  • Components - Black-anodized, CNC-machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum
  • Shaft - 7/8" hard chrome plated heat-treated alloy steel
  • Piston - Race-developed high-flow piston design
  • Valving - Application specific valving to maximize performance
  • Seals - Redundant sealing pack system main seal, wiper seal, scraper seal
  • Oil - JM92 Advanced Suspension Fluid for improved performance at variable temperatures
  • Bearing - PTFE-lined, heat-treated, alloy steel spherical
  • Travel (in) - 12.870
  • Compressed (in) - 19.430
  • Extended (in) - 32.300
  • Top Mount - Eyelet
  • Bottom Mount - Eyelet

Front Elite Series 2.5 Specs:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...s-2-5-reservoir-front-shock-4-5-6in-lift-pair

• Travel (in) - 12.170
  • Compressed (in) - 18.340
  • Extended (in) - 30.510
  • Top Mount - Eyelet
  • Bottom Mount - Eyelet

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Rear Elite Series 2.5 Specs:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...s-2-5-reservoir-shocks-rear-4-5-6in-lift-pair

• Body - 2.5" impact extruded and CNC machined 6061-T6 hard anodized aluminum body resists rust over time
  • Body Plating - Hard-anodized for a durable finish
  • Reservoir - External reservoir design separates shock oil from the high-pressure nitrogen
  • Components - Black-anodized, CNC-machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum
  • Shaft - 7/8" hard chrome plated heat-treated alloy steel
  • Piston - Race-developed high-flow piston design
  • Valving - Application specific valving to maximize performance
  • Seals - Redundant sealing pack system main seal, wiper seal, scraper seal
  • Oil - JM92 Advanced Suspension Fluid for improved performance at variable temperatures
  • Travel (in) - 12.870
  • Compressed (in) - 19.430
  • Extended (in) - 32.300
  • Top Mount - Eyelet
  • Bottom Mount - Eyelet

Front Elite Series 2.5 Specs:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...s-2-5-reservoir-front-shock-4-5-6in-lift-pair

• Travel (in) - 12.170
  • Compressed (in) - 18.340
  • Extended (in) - 30.510
  • Top Mount - Eyelet
  • Bottom Mount - Eyelet
@WashingtonWetWheeler

Not sure when the 4.5-6" were released, but that may be what you were recalling. The 3.5-4" 2.5's were only 28.5" extended, which would have lost a chunk of droop compared to the Rocksports.

One thing to consider, with 18.3" front compressed length and the outboards, you'll may be bottoming shock before hitting bump if you're running 3" bump extensions and no durosprings. Probably not an issue in the rocks, but may need to dial up compression in the whoops to keep from a hard bottom on the shocks.

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WashingtonWetWheeler

Not sure when the 4.5-6" were released, but that may be what you were recalling. The 3.5-4" 2.5's were only 28.5" extended, which would have lost a chunk of droop compared to the Rocksports.

One thing to consider, with 18.3" front compressed length and the outboards, you'll may be bottoming shock before hitting bump if you're running 3" bump extensions and no durosprings. Probably not an issue in the rocks, but may need to dial up compression in the whoops to keep from a hard bottom on the shocks.
I'm running 40" tires & UD60 axles, so I'm already pretty heavily bumped to stop them from eating my Jeep when flexed out fully. I intend to setup hydraulic bumps at the same time as swapping in the FOX shocks. Good call though!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm running 40" tires & UD60 axles, so I'm already pretty heavily bumped to stop them from eating my Jeep when flexed out fully. I intend to setup hydraulic bumps at the same time as swapping in the FOX shocks. Good call though!
in that case you could consider rears in front. There was a threat somewhere on here about six months ago where a builder did that.

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in that case you could consider rears in front. There was a threat somewhere on here about six months ago where a builder did that.
The UD60 doesn't utilize the drop brackets that normally are run with the 3.5 GC. Does that change anything? Should I just put a tape on my current eye to eye measurement at ride height and report back? Would that tell us everything we need to know I'm guessing?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The UD60 doesn't utilize the drop brackets that normally are run with the 3.5 GC. Does that change anything? Should I just put a tape on my current eye to eye measurement at ride height and report back? Would that tell us everything we need to know I'm guessing?
Probably most important is where you are at shock length at bump (if you are going to maintain the bump height with the hydros). Probably hard to get an accurate measurement, but you could do ride height eye to eye, and then get bump pad to the bump tube. Eye to eye - bump travel = max collapsed. The front shocks are pretty vertical so it should be pretty close.
Sponsored