Sponsored

Shock replacement stock Rubicon recommendation?

navyflyer

First Name
“Chopper” Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
Hello,
I have a 21 Rubicon and would like to improve on the stock shocks. I may put 305s on down the road and don’t plan lifting it from the stock lift. Anybody else here in that scenario have recommendations? Seeing some have installed Fox shocks. Is that a warranty breaker also on the suspension?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
nothing "breaks" your warranty. what you lose is warranty of the aftermarket parts (obviously) and any failed factory parts [potentially] caused by aftermarket parts. and you'll have to fight the dealer over whether that's provable or not.

install a giant turbo and blow up your motor? you're not getting a new motor for free.

i installed Fox 2.0's. much better than stock.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Here's @AnnDee4444 's awesome shock spreadsheet set for Rubicon height and stock bump stops. I tried to filter down to just shocks that work with stock bumps, I added in the Rancho's from @sourdough 's recommendation, it's collapsed length is about .25" more than steel to steel, but that's probably right at what the jounce bumpers compress to. This is in order of theoretical axle articulation angle.

I run the Bilstein 5100s and they're solid IFP Monotubes for the money (under $100/corner). Fox have a few additional features (slightly larger diameter, aluminum bodies), and in the no lift case, offer more articulation.

I added the Rubicon Express shocks to my downloaded version of the spreadsheet when looking at another member's request. Not sure on reviews, but are an interesting option due to the amount of travel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock replacement stock Rubicon recommendation? 1634742642733

Last edited:

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I am running King shocks for a 0 - 2.5" lift on our stock Rubicon. I didn't see them on your table. They are a very high quality shock, with a 2.5" body, 7/8" shaft, and large finned aluminum reservoirs for cooling. They are a good option to consider.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I am running King shocks for a 0 - 2.5" lift on our stock Rubicon. I didn't see them on your table. They are a very high quality shock, with a 2.5" body, 7/8" shaft, and large finned aluminum reservoirs for cooling. They are a good option to consider.
Added:
Jeep Wrangler JL Shock replacement stock Rubicon recommendation? 1634743523210

Sponsored

kbp810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I always thought the Rubi shocks were great performing and riding shocks; I'm not sure I would upgrade just shocks unless I had another compelling reason (such as lift, or if I killed one).

Beyond that, my 2 cents - if you're looking for a firmer ride (little less body roll), the Bilstein 5100's would be a great choice; if you want something on the softer side, might want to lean more king/fox... or can call up someone like accutune offroad and get something custom tuned to your intended setup.

OP
OP
navyflyer

navyflyer

First Name
“Chopper” Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
Great input everyone, thanks!

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
GatorB8,
I wonder if you added the wrong model of King shock in your table. You show the King rear shock having an extended length of 26.81", and the OEM Rubicon shock having an extended length of 29.50". The reason why I question this is because when I did the installation I held the new King rear shock up against my OEM Rubicon rear shock, with both shocks at max extension, and the King shock was 3/4" longer in eye to eye length than the OEM Rubicon shock was. Your table shows that it is 3" shorter is max length. I didn't compare front shocks, but wish I would have, because I can't say how accurate your table is with the front King shocks.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I blew the seal on one rear shock before doing a Mopar lift. I installed a pair of Rancho adjustables. They road better than stock and had a life time warranty. Mopars lift kit has great shocks BTW. When the Fox shocks wear out, I will try a full set of Ranchos. There are better shocks but I think Rancho adjustable might be an equal replacement at a much better price.
The problem with Ranchos is they have a long compressed length compared to their extended length. The short stroke severely limits articulation. They are a great riding shock for the street, especially for the price, but are just too big of a compromise off road in my opinion. Stock Rubicon shocks have a 7.88" stroke front and 8.5" stroke rear (and are still too short in my opinion), the Rancho 9000xl no lift shocks have a 5.4" f and 6.59" r stroke. Losing 2-2.5" of suspension travel, at least you'll know what it's like to wheel a new Bronco since you're guaranteed to have a tire in the air.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
GatorB8,
I wonder if you added the wrong model of King shock in your table. You show the King rear shock having an extended length of 26.81", and the OEM Rubicon shock having an extended length of 29.50". The reason why I question this is because when I did the installation I held the new King rear shock up against my OEM Rubicon rear shock, with both shocks at max extension, and the King shock was 3/4" longer in eye to eye length than the OEM Rubicon shock was. Your table shows that it is 3" shorter is max length. I didn't compare front shocks, but wish I would have, because I can't say how accurate your table is with the front King shocks.
29.5 is the Rubicon Express (I think it’s 4WP house brand?), the stock Rubis are only 26”

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hello,
I have a 21 Rubicon and would like to improve on the stock shocks. I may put 305s on down the road and don’t plan lifting it from the stock lift. Anybody else here in that scenario have recommendations? Seeing some have installed Fox shocks. Is that a warranty breaker also on the suspension?
Thanks in advance.
I'm installing some Fox 2.0s this weekend on my Sport S w/ Rubicon suspension. Here's a couple good links about the improvements you should see and in the second link some good shots of the increased articulation you can expect (and that is w/ stock SPORT springs, so a couple more inches w/ your Rubicon springs)

click on post #300 for the video clip of these under full flex
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-20#post-1040143
FWIW this was the cheapest I found them, came out to about $148 per shock, and these are a fresh June 2021 date code w/ free shipping, arrived in 4 days!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174831451632?fits=Make:Jeep&hash=item28b4c43df0:g:yKYAAOSwRilg5guI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174832258570?fits=Make:Jeep&hash=item28b4d08e0a:g:DtkAAOSwqTNg5wSi

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got them installed, simple 45 minute install. So far seem to be better on the road,, especially little washboard stuff and potholes, much more composed vs the stock Rubicon shocks. Can't wait to try them out in Vegas next month on Rocky Gap trail :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock replacement stock Rubicon recommendation? IMG_0738.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Shock replacement stock Rubicon recommendation? IMG_0739.JPG

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Got them installed, simple 45 minute install. So far seem to be better on the road,, especially little washboard stuff and potholes, much more composed vs the stock Rubicon shocks. Can't wait to try them out in Vegas next month on Rocky Gap trail :)
Looking forward to your feedback after your Vegas trip. I've been eyeing these same Fox shocks.

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Looks good Brad, glad you didn't find the valving to be too aggressive 👍

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks good Brad, glad you didn't find the valving to be too aggressive 👍
I'm thinking having quite a bit of weight like the F&R steel bumpers, winch, full skids and larger wheels/tires might have helped in that regard. I'd imagine those shocks on a bone stock Sport w/ the stock 245s and plastic bumpers the firmness would be quite noticeable.

My Jeep is in a happy place!
Sponsored