Shims missing

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
My daughter's 2020 JL is making a popping noise from the front. She is in Chicago, so I am not able to personally see it and diagnose. She took it to a shop that spent about 30 minutes looking at it on a lift, and determined that it is missing shims.

I am assuming this is a clip around the brake pad that keeps it from moving around--keeping it centered, and the noise that she is hearing would be that pad moving forward/backward?

Her jeep has 40k on it, and the guy told her he didn't think it should require a brake job for another 10-15k, and to just leave it as is. He also didn't charger her.

While I appreciate the fact that he certainly didn't take advantage of her, this is kind of a new one for me. I did a search and very few people have complained about brake shims falling off, etc.

She won't be coming back to Texas until November, and that seems like a long time to ignore the problem.

Has anyone experienced this before, and does this even make sense?

I am not aware of any other shims, so I am assuming he meant brake shims. Diagnosing problems via phone messenger and facetime isn't exactly easy for me.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I've been replacing brake shoes and pads on all of my vehicles since my first car. Ive seen some issues with disc brake pad shims in previous cars I've owned. I've never had any shims fall out, but they've shifted out out position and caused some noises on those cars. These are sometimes called anti-noise or anti-rattle shims. sometimes pads will have shims and also what appear to be clips.

I haven't looked at the pads and shims on our JLs yet so I'm not sure what they actually look like. But yes, if these shims were missing from your daughter's Jeep that's a likely scource of noises.

Sounds like she found a very rare honest repair shop.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
What's amazing is she asked for an alignment, and he checked it and said that it was within spec and didn't need it. He centered the steering wheel for her and refused any payment.

This guy is a keeper.
Sponsored