Shimmy worse with new trackbar

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just had a local offroad shop install Rubicon shocks and springs, Mopar lift LCA, and a Steersmarts trackbar on my Unlimited Sport yesterday. Driving home from work today I hit an uneven patch on the highway and the shimmy was so bad I had to slow to about 45 from 72. I've been driving the same route for 4 months now with no other occurence, so I'm thinking it's not just a random event. Any thoughts from the group here on possible cause? I'm on stock tires/wheels, Rubi suspension got me about 2" of lift front and rear, appointment on Friday to get latest edition of Mopar steering damper installed per the service bulletin.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just google “death wobble”. That will keep you busy for a couple of days.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
probably things are not torqued down to specs, I'd double check all the bolts again and also check for obvious errors such as tire pressure or if springs are not sitting properly or if parts are installed backwards or incorrectly etc.

OR, it could very well just be a faulty steering stabilizer, refer to recall V41

Last edited:

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Just a thought, but if the lower control arms are different between a Sport/Sahara or whatever you have, and the Rubicon, which I suspect they are, and you did not use the Rubicon lower control arms, you would have lost some castor in your front end with the mild lift. That would have you shimmying down the road.

Edit: Just read that you have the Mopar arms....disregard.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Just a thought, but if the lower control arms are different between a Sport/Sahara or whatever you have, and the Rubicon, which I suspect they are, and you did not use the Rubicon lower control arms, you would have lost some castor in your front end with the mild lift. That would have you shimmying down the road.

Edit: Just read that you have the Mopar arms....disregard.
The control arms are not different. I have the full rubi take off kit and matched them to my sports and they are identical. Take it back to the shop and have them check that they installed the coils in the right corners. Those are corner specific parts. And have them make sure everything is sitting just right in there places. Do full re-torque of all bolts and nuts. You should do this after 100miles or so after installing suspension parts anyways! Good luck!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just had a local offroad shop install Rubicon shocks and springs, Mopar lift LCA, and a Steersmarts trackbar on my Unlimited Sport yesterday. Driving home from work today I hit an uneven patch on the highway and the shimmy was so bad I had to slow to about 45 from 72. I've been driving the same route for 4 months now with no other occurence, so I'm thinking it's not just a random event. Any thoughts from the group here on possible cause? I'm on stock tires/wheels, Rubi suspension got me about 2" of lift front and rear, appointment on Friday to get latest edition of Mopar steering damper installed per the service bulletin.
Perhaps nothing to do with it.....did you get a Steering Damper recall notice from FCA and otherwise act upon it?

I did just the other day--but I don't know exactly which owners got the notice. I bought in 4/18.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Perhaps nothing to do with it.....did you get a Steering Damper recall notice from FCA and otherwise act upon it?

I did just the other day--but I don't know exactly which owners got the notice. I bought in 4/18.
My build date is 12/6/18, and I already got the paper and had the recall done. My dealer acted like every JL they sold was going to get the new damper. But, I'm not sure.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Could be a couple things:

1. Taller springs threw caster off causing more shimmy.

2. Shop improperly installed something/did not tighten everything properly. Make certain they tightened the bolts on the collar of the track bar.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Lots of great ideas here. I know they are a bandaid a lot of the times but these JL really benefit from a better steering stabilizer too. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have them check torque when you can safely get over there too

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Appreciate all the input. Oddly enough, the steering actually feels better with the exception of the incident this afternoon. I'll check the torque and I have an appointment at the dealer for the new Mopar steering stabilizer on Friday. We'll see if that helps at all.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my tires were out of balance. Made a huge difference

OP
OP

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just took a better look at the Jeep this morning and it appears that the front axle is off center towards the driver-side about 3/4" (measured with a level and tape measure from tire to fender). Could this be the a potential cause of the shimmy? Guess I'll be heading back to the shop.

Primal7

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jlr
Just took a better look at the Jeep this morning and it appears that the front axle is off center towards the driver-side about 3/4" (measured with a level and tape measure from tire to fender). Could this be the a potential cause of the shimmy? Guess I'll be heading back to the shop.
Hey man so what was the cause?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!