Shifting transfer case when preparing to flat tow

Sidwinder

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
The manual says when setting up to flat tow, to turn off engine when shifting transfer case to neutral. However, in another area of manual it says to be driving 2 to 3 miles an hour when shifting transfer case. This is conflicting information. I am having a horribly difficult time shifting transfer case. What is it? Engine off or on? Rolling or not?
I can't be driving when hooking up, but engine on may help with shifting.
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The manual says when setting up to flat tow, to turn off engine when shifting transfer case to neutral. However, in another area of manual it says to be driving 2 to 3 miles an hour when shifting transfer case. This is conflicting information. I am having a horribly difficult time shifting transfer case. What is it? Engine off or on? Rolling or not?
The part that says to be rolling is when shifting from 4H to 4L (or the other way)...the manual says to shif from 2H to 4H that you can be stopped. (The drive shafts have to be the spinning the same speed) I have never flat towed my Jeep, so not much insight there...but my transfer case can be difficult to shift. The manual says it takes steady firm pressure and they weren’t joking...hopefully you get it figured out...

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Engine off is for verifying the transfer case is in neutral when flat towing. This is covered on pages 357-359 of the OM. Shifting into 4L is covered on page 321 and has nothing to do with flat towing, When shifting into or out of 4L "The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph".

OP
OP

Sidwinder

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
Engine off is for verifying the transfer case is in neutral when flat towing. This is covered on pages 357-359 of the OM. Shifting into 4L is covered on page 321 and has nothing to do with flat towing, When shifting into or out of 4L "The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph".

OP
OP

Sidwinder

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
If the transmission is in neutral why does it matter if I shift the transfer case to neutral while the engine is off or on? When i'm driving and want to shift to 4L, I go to neutral before 4L anyway.
What's the difference?
It's MUCH easier to shift transfer case with engine on.
It just seems like i wouldn't damage anything if i had the engine on.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
If the transmission is in neutral why does it matter if I shift the transfer case to neutral while the engine is off or on? When i'm driving and want to shift to 4L, I go to neutral before 4L anyway.
What's the difference?
It's MUCH easier to shift transfer case with engine on.
It just seems like i wouldn't damage anything if i had the engine on.
I’m with you. There is no difference

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
I have flat towed for years with a Wrangler. Everything from a YJ to a JL. Start the motor, put the transmission in neutral. Turn off the engine. Shift to N on the transfer case, put the transmission in Park if automatic and in gear if straight drive. You will get gear clash if you shift to park with the transfer case in neutral with the engine running. You will damage the transmission if you don’t follow these instructions.

willwhig

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
We are over 2000 miles into a trip flat towing our Jeep. Crank, shift to neutral, turn off, shift from 2H to N, crank, check R and D, shift to Park, lock and go. Sometimes very difficult to shift back to 2H once disconnected, but getting easier each time.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Interesting. New to auto's...why would you shift into Park? I would think both transter and tranny should be neutral??

willwhig

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Interesting. New to auto's...why would you shift into Park? I would think both transter and tranny should be neutral??
I understand. It seems that both would be in neutral, but all wheels roll freely with transfer in neutral and transmission in park.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I presume it's to keep the transmission internals from turning without benefit of cooling/lubricating fluid being pumped through it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I presume it's to keep the transmission internals from turning without benefit of cooling/lubricating fluid being pumped through it.
Exactly this. Severe damage can occur if the transmission is allowed to spin freely without cooling.

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
I'm in the camp with Willwhig. With my JL 2018 Sport S (I flat tow), no problem following procedure to shift Transfer Case from 2D to N. However, when I'm ready to disconnect and return the Transfer Case from N to 2D... that can be a bear! I find if I 'rock' the jeep a bit, the gears seem to align and the Transfer Case shifts back to 2D. I've been practicing several days in a row, and it OR me seems to get a little bit better.

I called my local Jeep Service to schedule a quick appointment to check the Transfer Case, but I'm now thinking ALL OF US HAVE THIS PROBLEM, and it's not the Transfer Case linkage.

Any suggestions on 'technique' to improve my ability to shift back to 2D?

willwhig

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I'm in the camp with Willwhig. With my JL 2018 Sport S (I flat tow), no problem following procedure to shift Transfer Case from 2D to N. However, when I'm ready to disconnect and return the Transfer Case from N to 2D... that can be a bear! I find if I 'rock' the jeep a bit, the gears seem to align and the Transfer Case shifts back to 2D. I've been practicing several days in a row, and it OR me seems to get a little bit better.

I called my local Jeep Service to schedule a quick appointment to check the Transfer Case, but I'm now thinking ALL OF US HAVE THIS PROBLEM, and it's not the Transfer Case linkage.

Terry,
I found on my recent 3500 mile tow that if I cranked and shifted P to N and turned off and recranked and shifted P to N and off again that it seemed to shift smoothly back to 2H. Don't know but it seemed easier???

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Very interesting, I will give this a try later this afternoon and get back to you.

many thanks,

tnt
Sponsored