Sponsored

Shifting Procedure for Four-Wheel Drive Operation

amantri

First Name
Ashish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2021 (TWO Door)
Hello,

This is my first post here (First time owner of a 2021 Wrangler Jeep JL 2 Door Sport S).
:)

I have the FOUR MODE Transfer case option ::
2WD High -- 4WD High -- Neutral -- 4WD Low

I am following the Jeep Manual instructions while shifting between the Four Modes (both the recommended speed and appropriate process).

Now, I have noticed that for 2WD HIGH to 4WD HIGH transfer --> if I use the same procedure as shifting from 4WD HIGH to 4WD LOW --> meaning shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N).
The transfer is very very smooth and easy.

I know, the manual does NOT list this as the shifting procedure for 2WD High to 4WD High but I feel the transfer is very smooth.

Question:: Any one else in this forum try this?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not totally understanding your question but I have the manual transmission. When I shift from 2wd to 4WD high it’s a straight pull down on the shifter. When I want to use 4low I go down to 4high first then move the shifter over to the right about an inch, then down to 4low. Most times I can engage the gears without moving but sometimes I have to put the regular shifter in neutral or let the Jeep roll a few inches to engage the gears.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
He’s asking if you need to put the transmission into Neutral before shifting from 2H to 4H.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the automatic transmission but if it feels right, it probably is right

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
My Wife's is near impossible. I thought I was going to snap the lever. She needs to use 2 hands to shift into 4 hi.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
He’s asking if you need to put the transmission into Neutral before shifting from 2H to 4H.
Definitely not needed.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My Wife's is near impossible. I thought I was going to snap the lever. She needs to use 2 hands to shift into 4 hi.
It should get easier with use. Mine shifts like butter.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was like that when new. I used to say "f**k it let the cable break then they have to fix their bad design". I got into the habit of cycling through to 4 low on every usage of the Jeep (just like hitting that stupid ess button). it's way better now.

OP
OP

amantri

First Name
Ashish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2021 (TWO Door)
Thank you all for your response.

I guess I am going to give it some time and hopefully it gets better in a few more months/miles.
Currently, I am at the 700 mile mark in 45 days since owning the JL.

I am glad to learn that there is no issue if I do take the transmission in Neutral before shifting from 2High to 4High.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Mine does 2H to 4H easily. 4 L on the other hand is tough -trans in neutral seems to help.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
It gets easier the more you exercise it. Spend a few minutes working the shifter and it will start to ease up. Think of it as a “break-in period”.

REDJW2021

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hello,

This is my first post here (First time owner of a 2021 Wrangler Jeep JL 2 Door Sport S).

I have the FOUR MODE Transfer case option ::
2WD High -- 4WD High -- Neutral -- 4WD Low

I am following the Jeep Manual instructions while shifting between the Four Modes (both the recommended speed and appropriate process).

Now, I have noticed that for 2WD HIGH to 4WD HIGH transfer --> if I use the same procedure as shifting from 4WD HIGH to 4WD LOW --> meaning shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N).
The transfer is very very smooth and easy.

I know, the manual does NOT list this as the shifting procedure for 2WD High to 4WD High but I feel the transfer is very smooth.

Question:: Any one else in this forum try this?

Thanks in advance

REDJW2021

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Yes Amantri, I have a new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (automatic) and my 2WD to 4WDh was extremely difficult to shift - I can only do it when I'm moving about 10mph and shift the automatic tranny into N. From reading the threads I guess it'll get easier as I use it. Thank you.
Sponsored