Sponsored

Shifting out of 4low

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
its not going to shift as smooth as the transmission shifter, you are basically manually meshing gears together, so not a smooth engagement....
Sponsored

Reactions: Gus

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

light movement while shifting into and out of 2H/4H/4L i try to do it running 3-4 mph and it has gotten a little easier each time i have shifted it. So either i am learning the way of the transfer case or its easing up with the use. either way still enjoying having to use 4L on the trails :jk:

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
light movement while shifting into and out of 2H/4H/4L i try to do it running 3-4 mph and it has gotten a little easier each time i have shifted it. So either i am learning the way of the transfer case or its easing up with the use. either way still enjoying having to use 4L on the trails :jk:
This. OP yours sounds like mine. In theory you slow roll and it is easy. I won’t say butter. I think there is somewhat of an art to it, become the gear, kinda thing. But, the more you do it the more you know when you did it right.

myoldmetal

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara, 14 Mustang GT, 17 Super Duty
Occupation
Construction Management
When I test drove my JLU with the dealer, I had the same issue. He chuckled and said, "its a Jeep, just manhandle it a little!" I found that with auto trans if you kick the trans in neutral and shift out of 4L while you are just slightly rolling, its much easier. Reminds me of an old Chevy PU I used to have with an NP205 transfer case.....had to do the exact same thing

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
Transfer case shifts quite stiffly. My old JK was about the same as JL. Tranny in Neutral to go to 4Lo with just barely moving works easiest. 2H to 4H can be done in gear. I would avoid shifting 2H to 4H or vice versa while under a load.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Greetings all.

I was having this same issue yesterday and found this thread while investigating. What's the procedure with a manual transmission? If I am in 1st and start rolling, is it fine to just press the clutch in and pull the transfer case lever?? It's either that or start rolling, press the clutch, shift into neutral, release the clutch, and then pull the transfer case lever.

Either way I am not going to try shifting into 4-low from a stop again.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
At a slow roll, 2-3mph, put your tranny in neutral and then shift the transfer case into 4L. You need to be going at a slow roll (and tranny in neutral). You'll be fine. Repeat the same step for going back to 4H or 2H. A slow roll of 2-3mph, tranny in neutral, and then shift your transfer case.

Enjoy it! you paid for one of the best offroading vehicles around! have fun. :)

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I read that 4L gears are stationary while in 4H or 2H. All gears are aligned except 4L. When shifting into 4L, you move slowly to allow the gears to line up properly. Maybe one of the real gear guys on here can educate us but it makes sense to me.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I use 4L nearly every day. I shift with auto transmission in N, rolling ~3 mph. Going into 4L has gotten easy, but getting it back out is still hard.

I use my right knee under my hand. I seem to have more control that way.

Sponsored

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
The b&m transfer case shifter makes it a lot easier by giving you more leverage. And rolling very slowly with trans in neutral (manual or automatic) is the best way. Also the more you use it the easier it gets.
Side note: if you have a manual, the sport shifter is definitely worth the money as well.

IMG_20190408_210722414.jpg

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Getting out of 4L can be difficult if there is tension on the transfer case gears. This can happen from turning in 4L where front/rear tires cover a different distance. Try driving in a straight line for a bit on dirt to release tension before shifting out of 4L.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Greetings all.

I was having this same issue yesterday and found this thread while investigating. What's the procedure with a manual transmission? If I am in 1st and start rolling, is it fine to just press the clutch in and pull the transfer case lever?? It's either that or start rolling, press the clutch, shift into neutral, release the clutch, and then pull the transfer case lever.

Either way I am not going to try shifting into 4-low from a stop again.
With a manual transmission you can just press the clutch in and shift into or out of 4L (while rolling). No need to shift it into neutral.

That’s what I do and I just checked the manual to make sure.

caszak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
The b&m transfer case shifter makes it a lot easier by giving you more leverage. And rolling very slowly with trans in neutral (manual or automatic) is the best way. Also the more you use it the easier it gets.
Side note: if you have a manual, the sport shifter is definitely worth the money as well.

IMG_20190408_210722414.jpg
How many hours labor on the transmission shifter install?

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
How many hours labor on the transmission shifter install?
I literally swapped both in the parking lot on my lunch break. :LOL: There is a good instructional video on YouTube. I just watched it and brought the tools I needed to work with me. All together it took 30-45 minutes.
Sponsored