Sponsored

Shifting out of 4low

caszak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I literally swapped both in the parking lot on my lunch break. :LOL: There is a good instructional video on YouTube. I just watched it and brought the tools I needed to work with me. All together it took 30-45 minutes.
Thank you.
Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
The b&m transfer case shifter makes it a lot easier by giving you more leverage. And rolling very slowly with trans in neutral (manual or automatic) is the best way. Also the more you use it the easier it gets.
Side note: if you have a manual, the sport shifter is definitely worth the money as well.

IMG_20190408_210722414.jpg
Gee thanks... Just what I needed... Another post reminding me how sweet those shifters are. I think that's my next upgrade. Also, thanks for letting us know the install is simple. :like:

With a manual transmission you can just press the clutch in and shift into or out of 4L (while rolling). No need to shift it into neutral.

That’s what I do and I just checked the manual to make sure.
Thank you so much for verifying this. I never understood why being in gear mattered if the clutch pedal is in, but I appreciate you chiming in and answering my question. I was surprised I missed this when I read the manual so I also checked and saw the same thing you did:

upload_2019-6-24_7-59-24.png

upload_2019-6-24_7-59-51.png

RikFlairWoo

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ Sahara
I noticed the Wrangler 4x4 worked the same as the OP mentioned. When test driving the Rubicon JL with an auto trans. Going into 4LO while stationary was extremely challenging. Damn near impossible. My Trail Premium model has to be in neutral to go in and out of 4 low. The transfer case is much smoother than the Wrangler. I always error on the side of caution and use 4low if i feel the need. Especially when I am in unfamiliar territory.
2Hi /4Hi until you get stuck, 4Lo to get you out. Bad news bears if you get stuck in 4Lo in the middle of nowhere, unless you've got a winch or a buddy (or both).

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I just used mine yesterday for the first time and it was really hard getting in and out of 4lo. I have a 6-so and was rolling slowly ... not sure if I damaged it, seemed ok. I hope it’ll be easier next time I try it.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I lift my right leg and put my knee behind my hand on the shifter.

Much more powerful, and perhaps more important, much more controllable, shifting out of 4L.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

after a few trips on trail it will get easier to shift in and out of 4L. That and you'll learn what it likes and doesn't like when shifting.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
after a few trips on trail it will get easier to shift in and out of 4L. That and you'll learn what it likes and doesn't like when shifting.
Yeah on my last two trail runs I just got moving slowly, pressed the clutch in, and pulled the lever into 4LO. If I am going around 5MPH it grinds a little but I am not worried about that. I can't be going exactly 2-3MPH when I am on uneven trail road so I just do my best.

I was also having issues with the Sway Bar disconnect, but I realized that was because I was trying to disconnect it when still in 2HI. When I push the button after shifting into 4LO it disconnects quickly.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
The b&m transfer case shifter makes it a lot easier by giving you more leverage. And rolling very slowly with trans in neutral (manual or automatic) is the best way. Also the more you use it the easier it gets.
Side note: if you have a manual, the sport shifter is definitely worth the money as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Shifting out of 4low upload_2019-6-24_7-59-51
What are your thoughts as to why the manual shifter is worth the $$?
Thanks

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Starting off - Transfer Case in 4H and transmission in D.
Get moving about 2-5mph.
Put Transmission in N
Put Transfer Case in N, then quickly to 4L. You'll probably get a notice on the dash about ESC disabled.
Put Transmission in D.
Jeep should be good to go.

All of this should take less than 5 seconds.

In reverse order:
Get moving slowly.
Transmission to N
Transfer Case to N, then to 4H.
Transmission to D.

Practice on level dirt a few times.
Sponsored