Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Installed a cheap hoist (Classic mistake, you get what you pay for) over the weekend and when we went to lift the hard top the rear glass inexplicably shattered into 10,000 pieces all over my JLU and Garage. Took us a few hours to clean up and fortunately nobody was hurt.

Now I have no idea what I am going to do, Geico is covering the replacement but Jeep is saying that the part isn't available anywhere in the country and there is no ETA on manufacturing. Because the glass includes the heating element, the rear wiper, etc. it's a specific piece of glass that needs to come from Jeep. To make things even worse Jeep doesn't have Soft tops available and my dealership is telling me that if we order a hard top it does not come with the rear glass (Supposedly you still need to order this part separately and have it installed, which just seems so dumb). Additionally because the JL is so new there are zero aftermarket options available.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Installed a cheap hoist (Classic mistake, you get what you pay for) over the weekend and when we went to lift the hard top the rear glass inexplicably shattered into 10,000 pieces all over my JLU and Garage. Took us a few hours to clean up and fortunately nobody was hurt.

Now I have no idea what I am going to do, Geico is covering the replacement but Jeep is saying that the part isn't available anywhere in the country and there is no ETA on manufacturing. Because the glass includes the heating element, the rear wiper, etc. it's a specific piece of glass that needs to come from Jeep. To make things even worse Jeep doesn't have Soft tops available and my dealership is telling me that if we order a hard top it does not come with the rear glass (Supposedly you still need to order this part separately and have it installed, which just seems so dumb). Additionally because the JL is so new there are zero aftermarket options available.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Get a soft top?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
^ I'd say get a soft top as soon as you can. Maybe retrofit a JK bikini top for the moment if you want.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Also, to just be motoring at the moment, you could put the hard top on, sans rear glass. If that's the case, drive with all windows down, and preferably freedom panels out, to not asphyxiate yourself with exhaust fumes.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
This is so unfortunate. I feel for you. How's the weather where you're at? Maybe get some type of clear shade for the back? IDK it's just so hard since these Jeeps are so new and everything is extremely limited.

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer
Can you share how the hoist broke the glass so that others don’t end up in a similar situation? I know many are making their own hoist and the setup may have similar risks.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about your top. :( It seems crazy that jeep doesn't have spare parts available for a vehicle they are selling. You'd think the factory could send one to the dealer.

Maybe just put a piece of plexiglass there temporarily?

Bluebicon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Sierra All Terrain
I would drive with The hardtop on and afix some type of temporary clear plastic to the back for now with Gorilla tape. Far from
Ideal but functional.

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Also, to just be motoring at the moment, you could put the hard top on, sans rear glass. If that's the case, drive with all windows down, and preferably freedom panels out, to not asphyxiate yourself with exhaust fumes.
This was my initial thought, the only problem is there are two large electrical wires now hanging from the top with shards of glass all over them. I'm sure I could clean them up further but my dog rides in the back and it would need to be 100% safe, plus I am worried about messing up any of the electrical wiring and further hampering any repairs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
I would drive with The hardtop on and afix some type of temporary clear plastic to the back for now with Gorilla tape. Far from
Ideal but functional.
Probably the easiest solution I agree.

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Can you share how the hoist broke the glass so that others don’t end up in a similar situation? I know many are making their own hoist and the setup may have similar risks.
I wish that I could but my dad and I are were completely stumped. He came over to help me install the hoist and was standing near the back when the window exploded. The cables from the hoist were not touching the glass at all, the only thing that I can think is that maybe the top flexed as it was being lifted and one of the shocks on the glass pushed it a little bit or something. :(

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
This is so unfortunate. I feel for you. How's the weather where you're at? Maybe get some type of clear shade for the back? IDK it's just so hard since these Jeeps are so new and everything is extremely limited.
I'm in SC so the weather is warmer fortunately, still just really sucks as this is my daily driver and a brand new vehicle. And you are right, everything is so limited right now!

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Was the glass open or closed when it shattered?
Sponsored