Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Got a email from Lange today saying their JL hoists will be available April 10.
I'm just hoping for a different bracket for the one I already have!

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot

SuperDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I’ve been watching this thread for the last week. Have been working on installing the Harken Hoister over the last 2 weekends. Was nervous when I finished install and tried lifting today a since this is the same lift Strifeborn used. As a safety measure, I wrapped the rear glass with towels and took it slow. No issues using the Harken with the JL for me. The lift worked great and put the soft top on today. See pics...

32A36A9B-C941-40FA-A0C4-F0B5427F1738.jpeg

101FFCB4-9157-4449-BF29-3184FE123377.jpeg

Sponsored

REDRUBYJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU 6 speed, 2018 ZL1 Camaro Convertible 6 speed, 2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide, 2015 Hyundai Elantra
Installed a cheap hoist (Classic mistake, you get what you pay for) over the weekend and when we went to lift the hard top the rear glass inexplicably shattered into 10,000 pieces all over my JLU and Garage. Took us a few hours to clean up and fortunately nobody was hurt.

Now I have no idea what I am going to do, Geico is covering the replacement but Jeep is saying that the part isn't available anywhere in the country and there is no ETA on manufacturing. Because the glass includes the heating element, the rear wiper, etc. it's a specific piece of glass that needs to come from Jeep. To make things even worse Jeep doesn't have Soft tops available and my dealership is telling me that if we order a hard top it does not come with the rear glass (Supposedly you still need to order this part separately and have it installed, which just seems so dumb). Additionally because the JL is so new there are zero aftermarket options available.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm not a computer guy, but on the Homepage tab is a story of a recently wrecked JLU. The top is intact. Maybe you can reach out to that member. Also I see some threads about new tops.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
I feel your pain. Glass is tricky sometimes & can take the dumbest little thing to bust it. Like a squirrel. Falling out of a tree. With a nut in its mouth. Completely shattered the back half of my panoramic glass roof as well as the back window in my old Kia Optima. That bastard hit the sweet spot right between the two pieces. It happened in the parking lot at work, so we were able to watch it on the security cameras. I’ve been getting squirrel knick knacks & figurines ever since.
0257C52D-B2D5-468C-A884-302C6731B380.jpeg
Top right pic is the top roof piece; bottom left pic is the rear window. I was lucky that neither fell into the car, but the repair was the biggest hassle I’ve ever dealt with for any vehicle.

Drove up on this guy checking out my Jeep. I told him to get the hell off my hood and that's when he turned around and gave me that look.

IMG_20180304_161527784 - Copy (Medium).jpg

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have that same setup and am still wondering how the glass shattered. I've used it for my 2010 for years and plan to use on the new one when it arrives. Currently still have the hard top on the '10, but wonder if there is a way to lift and leave the glass down? I've not tried it but wonder if anyone has by closing the glass once the straps are run.

Sponsored

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
you s
I feel your pain. Glass is tricky sometimes & can take the dumbest little thing to bust it. Like a squirrel. Falling out of a tree. With a nut in its mouth. Completely shattered the back half of my panoramic glass roof as well as the back window in my old Kia Optima. That bastard hit the sweet spot right between the two pieces. It happened in the parking lot at work, so we were able to watch it on the security cameras. I’ve been getting squirrel knick knacks & figurines ever since.
0257C52D-B2D5-468C-A884-302C6731B380.jpeg
Top right pic is the top roof piece; bottom left pic is the rear window. I was lucky that neither fell into the car, but the repair was the biggest hassle I’ve ever dealt with for any vehicle.
you save the footage? that would be awesome

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer