Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
I'm in SC so the weather is warmer fortunately, still just really sucks as this is my daily driver and a brand new vehicle. And you are right, everything is so limited right now!
someone mentioned plexiglass insert. my brother and I did that to his old truck because he did not want to spend money for a new one. it actually worked pretty good
Sponsored

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
someone mentioned plexiglass insert. my brother and I did that to his old truck because he did not want to spend money for a new one. it actually worked pretty good
Yeah I think the key word here is "Old Truck" HA! I know that everyone is suggesting temporary solutions but I just spent $40k on this Wrangler, it is a really hard pill to swallow that I might have some ducktape type solution for months while Jeep gets parts manufactured :(

Hoping to find someone with the dual top group that wants to sell their soft or hard top.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Have you tried contacting Bestop directly? Maybe someone there would sympathize with you and send you a soft top.

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible
Yeah I think the key word here is "Old Truck" HA! I know that everyone is suggesting temporary solutions but I just spent $40k on this Wrangler, it is a really hard pill to swallow that I might have some ducktape type solution for months while Jeep gets parts manufactured :(

Hoping to find someone with the dual top group that wants to sell their soft or hard top.
There are many people selling the soft tops. Check the sales section. I think it is called “Member Marketplace”

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Have you tried contacting Bestop directly? Maybe someone there would sympathize with you and send you a soft top.
Had this exact same idea first thing this morning and sent them a message!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
There are many people selling the soft tops. Check the sales section. I think it is called “Member Marketplace”
Yep I have been keeping an eye on it. Nobody currently selling anywhere near me but that could change.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Have you tried a Safelite or other car glass shop? Maybe they can cut a temporary window that can go in there until the factory makes them.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Although I agree with you and feel they should have "extra" parts ready it is not only FCA. They all do it. It is called Just In Time Manufacturing. I have had this happen to me in the past with a new model year release vehicle that had an electrical issue. They could not get the part in time so I invoked the lemon law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_manufacturing

SS. I agree that FCA is not alone in the absence of a replacement parts market upon vehicle launch. Much that I think that we're a Nation of too many laws, maybe the solution here lies in legislation that forces all manufacturers to be more accountable in this area, forcing a level playing field among them all that isn't adequately incentivized by the good will they generate in being able to accommodate post-purchase issues. Of course that will hit us with higher prices to the extent the manufacturer is able to pass this regulatory cost on to consumers and not have to "eat" it themselves--so such laws can be "double-edged swords."

Although you've never suggested otherwise, the same "Operations Management 101" I alluded to makes me all to familiar with Just in Time (JIT) manufacturing practices.

It's principles: that inventory takes space, which costs money to house. I certainly appreciate the argument for JIT inventory practices, but like all business decisions it weighs profit against risk: risk that a manufacturer runs into a production delay--or an inability to accommodate a post-purchase customer.

Equally important, JIT inventory practices, properly done, are contingency planned. Single vendors are not selected to provide this inventory as needed because if something happens to their ability to produce, either in quantities desired or at all, others have to be able to quickly fill their shoes. Of course such planning costs $, and its responsibility falls on the FCA executives who I rightly finger when they can't service the customer after sale.

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Have you tried a Safelite or other car glass shop? Maybe they can cut a temporary window that can go in there until the factory makes them.
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps an auto glass shop could fabricate one. You may not get the rear defroster, or the wiper, but it will do until something else becomes available.

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Yeah I had the same idea but evidently for this they won't cut anything they said they will only wait for the same part from Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps an auto glass shop could fabricate one. You may not get the rear defroster, or the wiper, but it will do until something else becomes available.
I had the same thought, but nobody wants to do it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
https://www.extremeterrain.com/harken-hoist-4pt-7803b-jeep.html?utm_content=XT Tops - Hoist-A-Tops|Harken&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J103155&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Vehicle+Medium&gclid=CPCRpqjm1tkCFQTDDQod1cUJUA&gclsrc=ds

It was this Harken hoist. I'm going to contact Extreme Terrain and return it. I can't be sure that it caused the glass to shatter, however it was designed for the JK and they say it works with the JL but who knows if they actually tested it.
:surprised:

That's my setup. Been good to my LJ top for 2 years. :brokenhearted:

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
:surprised:

That's my setup. Been good to my LJ top for 2 years. :brokenhearted:
I genuinely wonder if it just doesn't really work for the JL, but extreme terrain tested it on one real quick and said hey it works.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Re-evaluating anyway. I have friends with kayaks that may be better for this lift...

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
https://www.extremeterrain.com/harken-hoist-4pt-7803b-jeep.html?utm_content=XT Tops - Hoist-A-Tops|Harken&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J103155&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Vehicle+Medium&gclid=CPCRpqjm1tkCFQTDDQod1cUJUA&gclsrc=ds

It was this Harken hoist. I'm going to contact Extreme Terrain and return it. I can't be sure that it caused the glass to shatter, however it was designed for the JK and they say it works with the JL but who knows if they actually tested it.
were you running the straps along the outside of the rear window or something?
Sponsored