Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

FalKor JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
What kind of hoist was it? A Lange hoist on wheels type? Or a DIY?
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
That sucks. I wonder if the fact the rear glass is much bigger than the JK was a factor. The larger the glass the more fragile it gets especially with no frame around the edge, hopefully this won't be a huge flaw with the JL.

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
I never had any problems with the Lange Hoist-a-top for my TJ and JK. Was it that brand?
It was a Harken, cheaper option. I should have gone with Lange. I ended up ordering a Topliftpro right after it happened because I was so frustrated.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe
I ended up ordering a Topliftpro right after it happened because I was so frustrated.
Please post a review of the Topliftpro once you get it assembled. Hoping it is JL friendly. That's quite the lift!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
snioe:

Please post a review of the Topliftpro once you get it assembled. Hoping it is JL friendly. That's quite the lift!!
Absolutely will do. It looks like a quality product. Now I just have to get my top fixed :(

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am disillusioned at FCA for claiming no soft tops to spare.

Funny---they've got them for the new JLs their making...

First off, a responsible manufacturer establishes a parts market at the time of vehicle release. Worse case, parts are pulled off the factory line until MOPAR gets its act together.

Secondly, this "we have no soft tops...." Sure they do. Everyone that orders anything but the basic soft top effectively is credited in the cost of their upgrade decision, be it Dual Tops, the premium black soft top, or the premium tan soft top (only available on dual top orders) because they are effectively giving back their basic soft top to FCA to use on another vehicle, or provide to someone in need like, in this case, and for the time being, the OP.

That FCA chose to turf top production out to a 3rd party vendor---their choice their responsibility. Operations Management 101 says you don't turf out manufacturer of mission critical parts to one vendor.

...and this is why I wish there was more competition for the Wrangler, much that I love it. FCA would not get away with this kind of stuff as easily.

Moving parts are subject to wear and tear. Responsible manufacturers have well defined replacement parts markets established to back their products at market launch...period.

I am more thinking this now:

www.wranglerforum.com/f274/shop-crane-for-hoisting-hardtop-2006882-2.html

or this

www.wranglerforum.com/f274/building-my-hardtop-lift-1968594.html

than this

Last edited:

Alien2007

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku
It was a Harken, cheaper option. I should have gone with Lange. I ended up ordering a Topliftpro right after it happened because I was so frustrated.
Makes me nervous I have been using harken hoist on my jk for about 6 years now with no problems. However I may add the shelf idea as well.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Funny---they've got them for the new JLs their making...

First off, a responsible manufacturer establishes a parts market at the time of vehicle release. Worse case, parts are pulled off the factory line until MOPAR gets its act together.

Secondly, this "we have no soft tops...." Sure they do. Everyone that orders anything but the basic soft top effectively is credited in the cost of their upgrade decision, be it Dual Tops, the premium black soft top, or the premium tan soft top (only available on dual top orders) because they are effectively giving back their basic soft top to FCA to use on another vehicle, or provide to someone in need like, in this case, and for the time being, the OP.

That FCA chose to turf top production out to a 3rd party vendor---their choice their responsibility. Operations Management 101 says you don't turf out manufacturer of mission critical parts to one vendor.

...and this is why I wish there was more competition for the Wrangler, much that I love it. FCA would not get away with this kind of stuff as easily.

Moving parts are subject to wear and tear. Responsible manufacturers have well defined replacement parts markets established to back their products at market launch...period.
Although I agree with you and feel they should have "extra" parts ready it is not only FCA. They all do it. It is called Just In Time Manufacturing. I have had this happen to me in the past with a new model year release vehicle that had an electrical issue. They could not get the part in time so I invoked the lemon law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_manufacturing

Sponsored

hanschien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I damaged one of my freedom panels over the weekend (my fault) and I'm also having a hard time finding a replacement or soft top. So far it still latches somewhat snuggly and hasn't leaked rain water yet but I would like to get it replaced sooner than later.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Unfortunately benign ring the bone head I am sometimes I didn’t take any more ..but I think you can find more details on jkforum

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
And isn't the basic soft top the standard top for the wrangler? It baffles me that you can't somehow get one of those. Try contacting your dealer about somehow getting one of those since it's more or less an emergency situation. And you know what, once you go soft, you might not go back.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Can you share more pictures? I'm struggling to totally understand
I believe the shelf is for the top to rest on if stored for a long time since leaving the top hanging on hooks may warp it over time.

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
And isn't the basic soft top the standard top for the wrangler? It baffles me that you can't somehow get one of those. Try contacting your dealer about somehow getting one of those since it's more or less an emergency situation. And you know what, once you go soft, you might not go back.
Oh trust me I would be great with a basic soft top at this point but they can’t find anything.
Sponsored