Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
The other factor might be how wide you mounted it to ceiling relative to width of top's back hinges. Too narrow it pull pull in on hinges and stress glass.

Otherwise it seems it would require a jolt or door is getting too tense due to flex on top possibly due to one side moving slightly higher or the new top having more flex.

Capture.PNG
This is the only thing I could think of as well... I also purchased the Harken Hoist about a week or so ago now, but the weather just hasn't cooperated enough to utilize it. Once Rhino-Rack comes out with their backbone system for the JL I plan on adding some eye bolts to the rack so I can just clip it in and lift it that way.
Sponsored

LydiaSP613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thank you! I'm so happy you have no idea LOL. My baby is whole again!
The squirrel incident was the first time I ever cried over a vehicle. And it was multiple times! I never thought that would happen for any reason. The frustration level is something no words can explain. I’m glad your baby is back in tip top shape!!!:clap:

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
The squirrel incident was the first time I ever cried over a vehicle. And it was multiple times! I never thought that would happen for any reason. The frustration level is something no words can explain. I’m glad your baby is back in tip top shape!!!:clap:
I can imagine! Thank you!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Lydia: we need to come up with a word to introduce into the vernacular to define frustration beyond all belief. I'd use "Postal" except that implies a mentally disconnected state associated with violence.

Sponsored

zodleviton

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...still waiting
After reading your post, I got worried and decided to go with the Top Lift Pro instead of the Harken. I don't even have my Jeep yet, but the lift is on the way. HA. How do you like it?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
After reading your post, I got worried and decided to go with the Top Lift Pro instead of the Harken. I don't even have my Jeep yet, but the lift is on the way. HA. How do you like it?

I really don't think reasonably (if not perfectly) designed "pull from above" type lifts should cause the back glass to shatter, but I do prefer push from below type lifts, like the Top Lift Pro because I think they subject the hard top to less twist pressure that may have been contributory in the glass shatter here.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Hey all!!! Hope yinz are doing well!:)
My Vida has been home for a week now & I finally got the chance yesterday to get everything moved from the old car to the Jeep. No more glass roof for me, but this little guy still has to be in my vehicle. :giggle:
FE1CC60C-7B4A-4CA8-AB17-A0E3351BE196.jpeg
For whatever reason I saw your name with shattered rear glass notification and was at first thinking it happened to you again. :facepalm:

Sponsored

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Hey all!!! Hope yinz are doing well!:)
My Vida has been home for a week now & I finally got the chance yesterday to get everything moved from the old car to the Jeep. No more glass roof for me, but this little guy still has to be in my vehicle. :giggle:
FE1CC60C-7B4A-4CA8-AB17-A0E3351BE196.jpeg
You finally got it!! YAY! Congrats!

OpsWest

First Name
Ops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks OP for sharing your experience. My rear glass broke recently and I cannot seem to find a dealer to can get it either (at all). For the time being I'm tracing the glass template onto lexan, re-installed the wiper + a defrost decal kit. Hoping to find a source for the glass soon.
Sponsored