Sponsored

Shake on idle, CEL on/off light... 1500 miles

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Hello good people. Got a great problem with my brand new car. Just arrived to my hotel (4 hr road trip) and the car begins to shake violently in the parking lot. CEL comes on blinking, no funny noises, no stalling etc. Turn the car off, check oil level, looks good, press all the relays/fuses, all is fine. Go for another drive to pickup the food that we had ordered, same problem. Top off the gas tank, check oil again... CEL is back on and a fault message saying the auto on/off won't work.

First vacation since last October, so I'm stoked to limp to the nearest dealer 15miles away. A normal Friday and I'd be annoyed, but an issue like this on a road trip is not cool

Any ideas? If not, wish me luck.

20220722_210829.jpg
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’d guess a coil pack, unfortunately. Flashing CEL is usually a misfire. Run by an Autozone and have them pull the code.

OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I will say the first time it came on it was flashing. After restarting it was gone for a short while. Upon returning its solid with the auto on/off light.

Too late for autozone visit. It drives fine as long as I'm not stopped at a light. Ended up holding the idle up at stops and it made the pizza run...

Worried to cause any damage to the engine. Not sure if I should even drive to the dealer or call and try to get them to send a truck.

Hopefully I'll get a loaner for the day so I can do *something* on my vacation.

1, 500 miles. I traded a Toyota for this :headbang:

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I will say the first time it came on it was flashing. After restarting it was gone for a short while. Upon returning its solid with the auto on/off light.

Too late for autozone visit. It drives fine as long as I'm not stopped at a light. Ended up holding the idle up at stops and it made the pizza run...

Worried to cause any damage to the engine. Not sure if I should even drive to the dealer or call and try to get them to send a truck.

Hopefully I'll get a loaner for the day so I can do *something* on my vacation.

1, 500 miles. I traded a Toyota for this :headbang:
doubt any damage is going to happen ..thats what red lights with buzzers are for

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Flashing cel is a misfire, and a bad one. Get it to the dealer.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Any mechanical experience? I think it’s a pain on the 3.6, but it’s still something I’d consider doing in an autozone parking lot.

If it’s a misfire, only real concern driving is unburnt fuel in the cats which won’t be awful for a little while.

OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
100% going to a dealer in the morning. The car isn't even two months old so I'd rather jeep pay for the repair rather than try to do it myself. Only put the plates on it earlier this week!

Thanks for the input, it does help me feel better. Still sad about my vacation and my brand new car letting me down :(

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Wow…sounds really familiar as I just experienced something similar in my 2019 JLUR. I left on vacation to do some camping in the mountains last week and was a 10 hour drive. Got to the small town to get supplies and came back out to start my Jeep and ESS light followed by rough idle. Shut it off then restart and same light then followed by check engine. Temps and pressures were fine. Decided to find the nearest dealership in hopes for easy fix which was about 2 miles away. While in route my engine temp started climbing rapidly and hit 250 deg. I pulled off the road popped my hood and felt around the engine and it was not that hot, nothing was leaking or no burning smell. Sat 40 mins cranked back up same lights and idle but temp was down to 208. Thought well hell maybe my temp sensor was screwed. So I limped it the dealer. They checked the CEL and it showed a cylinder 4 misfire but then they started it and accelerated the engine and the temp would spike…not good! They performed an engine block test and it failed. So I have either blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked engine block. So I’m 10 hours from home with my dead Jeep that drove awesome for 10 hours in triple degree temps outside only to have the engine just die. Now I have an auto hauler inbound to trailer in back home so I can be there on site any time when it’s at the dealer for repairs. It’s still under drivetrain warranty. So get it looked at quick. After doing some research this has happened to other JL folks varying from bad rockers, bad valves to my case. So I hope yours is an easy fix with a coil or plug!

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Reminder to make sure all your fuses are pushed in.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Wow…sounds really familiar as I just experienced something similar in my 2019 JLUR. I left on vacation to do some camping in the mountains last week and was a 10 hour drive. Got to the small town to get supplies and came back out to start my Jeep and ESS light followed by rough idle. Shut it off then restart and same light then followed by check engine. Temps and pressures were fine. Decided to find the nearest dealership in hopes for easy fix which was about 2 miles away. While in route my engine temp started climbing rapidly and hit 250 deg. I pulled off the road popped my hood and felt around the engine and it was not that hot, nothing was leaking or no burning smell. Sat 40 mins cranked back up same lights and idle but temp was down to 208. Thought well hell maybe my temp sensor was screwed. So I limped it the dealer. They checked the CEL and it showed a cylinder 4 misfire but then they started it and accelerated the engine and the temp would spike…not good! They performed an engine block test and it failed. So I have either blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked engine block. So I’m 10 hours from home with my dead Jeep that drove awesome for 10 hours in triple degree temps outside only to have the engine just die. Now I have an auto hauler inbound to trailer in back home so I can be there on site any time when it’s at the dealer for repairs. It’s still under drivetrain warranty. So get it looked at quick. After doing some research this has happened to other JL folks varying from bad rockers, bad valves to my case. So I hope yours is an easy fix with a coil or plug!
Which engine do you have?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
p0171 engine running lean. Can't diagnose or fix anything. No other dealers in the area are open today either. Damn it man

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
I feel for you my friend! What was supposed to be a father and son vacation camping trip for me turned into a huge crap show logistical nightmare with this. This little endeavor has ended up costing me thousands in motel stay, car rental, and hauler.

OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I feel for you my friend! What was supposed to be a father and son vacation camping trip for me turned into a huge crap show logistical nightmare with this. This little endeavor has ended up costing me thousands in motel stay, car rental, and hauler.
Dude I'm so sorry to read about all that. That cost is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Going straight home now.

Wish me luck on the drive back. It drove fine on the way to the dealer/back to the hotel. Just still stumbles at idle... 4 hrs on the highway, hope it survives

Guy at the dealer thought bad gas, but I don't know.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Appreciate it. Safe travels home! Yes bad gas can be a contributing factor as well.
Sponsored