Shackle D Rings

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
My JLUR bumper has two red hooks but not a D Ring for a shackle. I just tried unsuccessfully to add the Warn D Ring, but it’s not compatible with my Mopar Steel Rubicon bumper. It surprised me , but two things stymied the installation after id removed the skid pan and the bumper. Basically for this mod you’d need to cut the bumper, but that would be where two of the 5 skid pan bolts need to go, and even then, you couldn’t reattach the skid pan.
So there’s very limited options. Maximus 3? Not sure.
But thinking about it. I don’t need the hooks. They look nice. Why not weld in another steel piece to make the D Ring for the shackle?
Thoughts?

7EF9EBCF-6506-480A-B905-9BA0CBA8C093.jpeg
Sponsored

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
I was just going to start a new thread about these red hooks on the steel front bumper :giggle: As a newbie i am not sure if these are the recovery hooks or different purpose? Did they come together with the bumper? Mopar site shows them on the photo as well, but nothing's said about it in description - https://store.mopar.com/accessories...bumper_front_3_piece_assembly_82215121AB.html
Do you want these D-rings for recovery purposes or for flat towing the Jeep? I don't know if welding will be strong enough for your tasks, and definitely you'd like to paint them after welding?..

OP
OP
PatrickM

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I was just going to start a new thread about these red hooks on the steel front bumper :giggle: As a newbie i am not sure if these are the recovery hooks or different purpose? Did they come together with the bumper? Mopar site shows them on the photo as well, but nothing's said about it in description - https://store.mopar.com/accessories...bumper_front_3_piece_assembly_82215121AB.html
Do you want these D-rings for recovery purposes or for flat towing the Jeep? I don't know if welding will be strong enough for your tasks, and definitely you'd like to paint them after welding?..
sorry for the delay. These new loops would be for recovery. The hooks aren’t for shackle and the edges would probably cut a tow rope. They look good, but I’d not use the hooks for towing or pulling.

Tow loops at the front would make using shackles easy for any purpose.
there’s another thread to read

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m-steel-bumper-installation-and-review.25268/

Basically I’m wrong saying the mopar bumper isn’t similar to the oem. However I really didn’t like cutting off where two of the skid plate securing bolts went. Instead, I’ve ordered the Maximus 3 tow loops. Their fit also requires some cutting, but not where the skid plate bolts go. I expect they’ll be with me in a couple of weeks.

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then what are these hooks for if one can't use them for anything?... Cutting the steel bumper doesn't sound good for me, and as i understand Maximus 3 tow loops require cutting as well... Hmmm, any other options?...
OFF: i can't recognize which red BMW you have on your photo - i'm a BMW fan for many years ;)

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patrick, stupid question, but since i haven't seen the Mopar steel bumper alive yet - isn't there any possibility to replace these toe hooks with loops? Are they welded to the bumper or screwed? Since there're already openings in the bumper for them - maybe it would be easier to replace the hooks or somehow fit the loops on their place?...

UPD: found in the other thread - OK, it's not that good than to have D-rings, but probably could be an option to use hooks - https://www.bubbarope.com/gator-jaws-synthetic-shackles

Last edited:

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect, I will use this post as a directive not to do anything and go with the hooks only :) I do also like those synthetic plasma ropes with loops - looks like safer solution compared to steel ropes/metal shackles...
Sponsored