Sponsored

Severe False Alert Sensor Warnings while in reverse after adding an aftermarket tire/wheel to the existing or an aftermarket spare tire tailgate mount

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
The cover/bezel is 68540489AA but I think in order to extend the camera outwards you would need the tire carrier itself which is 68542437AB (non front trail cam applications)

-Benny
And this is different than the non-XR version? In the diagram this looks like the regular one(I realized pictures can be deceiving though).
Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
And this is different than the non-XR version? In the diagram this looks like the regular one(I realized pictures can be deceiving though).
Yes diagrams are not accurate. It's specific for 35" tires, same as the carrier.

-Benny

OP
OP
JustinB

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
For those using words like, "misinformation", unfortunately you are limiting the extent of your potential knowledge. If your Jeep is not/was not acting the same as mine, then congrats, one less contention for you. On my particular Jeep the rear camera did affect the backup sensor alert. I 've explained why in great detail and how to test the camera's sensor for yourself in previous posts as well.

Your lack of experience or evidence is not proof that something doesn't exist, and that goes for everything in life. That's like saying there are not craters on the opposite side of the moon because you never experienced them or have seen them for yourself (when others have). You are potentially leading people in the wrong direction who are experiencing this sensor issue. What I experienced, and how I methodically tested the system and fixed it, is evidence that supports this thread and is why I started it in the first place. Why? Because I suspected there may be some people out there who are struggling to figure out what is going on with their system, naively relying their limited knowledge as well, and perhaps I could expand upon it. I mean, isn't that kind of the reason for these forums, to share experiences? I think I did a good thing.
Have a good day.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
For those using words like, "misinformation", unfortunately you are limiting the extent of your potential knowledge. If your Jeep is not/was not acting the same as mine, then congrats, one less contention for you. On my particular Jeep the rear camera did affect the backup sensor alert. I 've explained why in great detail and how to test the camera's sensor for yourself in previous posts as well.

Your lack of experience or evidence is not proof that something doesn't exist, and that goes for everything in life. That's like saying there are not craters on the opposite side of the moon because you never experienced them or have seen them for yourself (when others have). You are potentially leading people in the wrong direction who are experiencing this sensor issue. What I experienced, and how I methodically tested the system and fixed it, is evidence that supports this thread and is why I started it in the first place. Why? Because I suspected there may be some people out there who are struggling to figure out what is going on with their system, naively relying their limited knowledge as well, and perhaps I could expand upon it. I mean, isn't that kind of the reason for these forums, to share experiences? I think I did a good thing.
Have a good day.
I think because a product manager from Jeep came in here and said they're not linked might be part of the concern. Lol. In saying that, there are definitely more than one or 2 of us who have seen otherwise. He said he would come back and explain but never came back.
@Bananas hopefully you can lend some corporate knowledge here.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I guess the trouble I am having is a replacement rear camera is the same for 18-22+ with no variants whether you have the blind spot or rear cross path detection monitoring, which is the radar based sensors. For the Jeep JL it can be purchased for $99.

If you want to geek out on the specs here they are as follows:

Radar sensor data is a digital overlay signal into the radio which is transposed on the radio display screen.

I am unable to see any alternative, the camera does nothing except send a traditional video signal to the screen, if you want to test this, cover the entire camera image with electrical tape and test, you will only lose the image, or remove the camera, leave it plugged in and point anywhere you want, your sensors will work normally.

WaX

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustinB

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
I guess the trouble I am having is a replacement rear camera is the same for 18-22+ with no variants whether you have the blind spot or rear cross path detection monitoring, which is the radar based sensors. For the Jeep JL it can be purchased for $99.

If you want to geek out on the specs here they are as follows:

Radar sensor data is a digital overlay signal into the radio which is transposed on the radio display screen.

I am unable to see any alternative, the camera does nothing except send a traditional video signal to the screen, if you want to test this, cover the entire camera image with electrical tape and test, you will only lose the image, or remove the camera, leave it plugged in and point anywhere you want, your sensors will work normally.

WaX
I can appreciate your response, Thank You. I may be able to show you an alternative way. I'll also share an attachment that enlighten me to this technology. Verse reading the entire paper, here's my simpler understanding...

Obviously there has to be a camera; however, it has nothing to do with the camera, *per say. The software that is used is different. The signal from the camera passes thru an algorithm that can read the individual pixels or points provided via the camera. It is able to detect stationary objects, say the road or a curb for example. 'Stationary' is a relative term though, if you're actually backing up it can 'see' the road and determine/reasonably assume that the road is just that; although, the road is no longer stationary relative to the vehicle, something is moving on the screen. The road becomes the algorithm's baseline though, as it has the most consistent points of reference, and there are thousands of reference points. The algorithm is then able to measure distance and compare objects relative to the baseline. It is able to 'see' objects that are perceived to move differently within an area relative to a 'stationary object' (the road).

So for example, if you have a cone 10' behind your car and start backing up towards it, the algorithm will 'see' the cone. As you continue backing up it's measuring the cone [actually it measures points on the cone it sees] and it realizes the top of the cone is becoming much higher up than the road itself the closer you get; hence, you get an alert.

To the the *per say... Regarding receiving an alert, the algorithm is registering what's at the bottom of what we would interpret The Screen. The system should not care about the tree branches, even though we can see them on the video screen, so it doesn't, it filters all that out. The camera is installed one way. IF you modified the camera mount and flipped the camera upside-down your Uconnect screen would show you an upside-down picture of what is ever behind you. It would also show upside-down & backward guidance lines. IF I flipped my camera upside-down the sky would become the baseline and my Jeep would start alerting on the overhanging tree branches. So, installing a camera incorrectly [if even possible] will alter what the algorithm is meant to read. Again, at least on my Jeep.

Take Care :)

Attachments

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can appreciate your response, Thank You. I may be able to show you an alternative way. I'll also share an attachment that enlighten me to this technology. Verse reading the entire paper, here's my simpler understanding...

Obviously there has to be a camera; however, it has nothing to do with the camera, *per say. The software that is used is different. The signal from the camera passes thru an algorithm that can read the individual pixels or points provided via the camera. It is able to detect stationary objects, say the road or a curb for example. 'Stationary' is a relative term though, if you're actually backing up it can 'see' the road and determine/reasonably assume that the road is just that; although, the road is no longer stationary relative to the vehicle, something is moving on the screen. The road becomes the algorithm's baseline though, as it has the most consistent points of reference, and there are thousands of reference points. The algorithm is then able to measure distance and compare objects relative to the baseline. It is able to 'see' objects that are perceived to move differently within an area relative to a 'stationary object' (the road).

So for example, if you have a cone 10' behind your car and start backing up towards it, the algorithm will 'see' the cone. As you continue backing up it's measuring the cone [actually it measures points on the cone it sees] and it realizes the top of the cone is becoming much higher up than the road itself the closer you get; hence, you get an alert.

To the the *per say... Regarding receiving an alert, the algorithm is registering what's at the bottom of what we would interpret The Screen. The system should not care about the tree branches, even though we can see them on the video screen, so it doesn't, it filters all that out. The camera is installed one way. IF you modified the camera mount and flipped the camera upside-down your Uconnect screen would show you an upside-down picture of what is ever behind you. It would also show upside-down & backward guidance lines. IF I flipped my camera upside-down the sky would become the baseline and my Jeep would start alerting on the overhanging tree branches. So, installing a camera incorrectly [if even possible] will alter what the algorithm is meant to read. Again, at least on my Jeep.

Yes that is

Thanks for the article from 2012 proposing what is a relatively common technology today used in front collision warning systems, in the form of radar, lidar, and camera based systems. The trouble is this technology is not implemented in the Jeep JL's camera backup system in the way proposed in this document. There is no DSP in the Jeep.

WaX

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still curious for an explanation for why the nearest rear bumper sensor was picking up the valve stem, and continued to follow as the tire was rotated on the carrier one lug at a time, when the sensors don't have direct line of sight and the camera does?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm still curious for an explanation for why the nearest rear bumper sensor was picking up the valve stem, and continued to follow as the tire was rotated on the carrier one lug at a time, when the sensors don't have direct line of sight and the camera does?
I had really hoped @Bananas would come back as well.

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I put on new wheels that now show in the rearview camera, and guess what, it beeps. So the wheel/tire definitely affect the back up "sensing" done by the camera. You can state they aren't connected all you want, but literally the only variable changed was an image in the camera.

Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I put on new wheels that now show in the rearview camera, and guess what, it beeps. So the wheel/tire definitely affect the back up "sensing" done by the camera. You can state they aren't connected all you want, but literally the only variable changed was an image in the camera.
I had the same issue when I went to KMCs with a -38mm offset and 37s. I rotated the two center sensors about 10 degrees to the outside and problem solved.

WaX

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Rotate the tire valve 180° on the carrier.