Sponsored

Severe bucking at low rpm, 1st gear, uphill (manual trans)?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It would be nice if the issue were addressed, and fixed, if a software fix could address it.

Sadly :(, I realize that manual transmissions are fast disappearing in the US, and that JL's offered w/them are but a small portion of FCA's over all sales vs. those w/automatics.

While I'm lucky to not be stuck in stop and go traffic all too often, yet on the other hand, when off-road, the bucking can be a pain.

Outside of the bucking problem, I'm very satisfied w/my JLU, including the fuel mileage I'm getting, though a slightly lower gearing would of been nice, say a 3.55, or better yet, a 3.73, vs. the 3.45, but of course, the mileage would of been effected.
I totally agree. I have a JLR with the six speed manual. I love everything about it expect the driveability issues. So much so, I have put it up for sale. There are people on this forum who say they donā€™t seem to have it, but I think I am more picky about things and notice it. I have owned many cars and have either tuned them myself or worked with a tuner, so I really pay attention to the driveability of a vehicle. Iā€™m debating looking at options and tuning the wrangler myself, but I know that recently, FCA has really locked down these ECMs.

I would love to spend about 10 minutes with the engineers to see what they were thinking. Iā€™m sure the two ā€˜eā€™ would show up. Efficiency and emissions as excuses.
Sponsored

Skuj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Manual, Black hard top, Cold Weather, LED, Safety, Tow package, Body color fenders.
Trying to drive slowly up street to my driveway, engine starts bucking at a steady, synchronous rate. Speed about 3-5 mph, very light throttle, feels like engine going in and out of fuel cut but this is below typical fuel cut RPM. Buckng becomes strong enough to make driveline "clank" loudly. It continues steadily as long as I drive slowly and the frequency of bucking stays constant.

This also happens easing away from uphill stop signs that require a sharp turn and slow speed. Kind of embarrassing when people look at you like you cant drive!

Anybody else?
I am new to the forum. Got my first JLUR (and manual) last Friday. I do observe it after putting in second and moving forward. However, for me it doesn't become strong or stay. I hear a small clank and it goes away as I gain speed and change in.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

18 JLU sport 6spd i notice this on flat ground, but the few times ive been off road i didnt notice it at all. mostly a slow cruise out of my long driveway. glad i am not the only one with this problem. if you can call it that. I have adjusted my driving and it is easily managed. its now rare i have a problem. i am curious if this is a map issue. i agree that the trans is a mechanical device not electronic like an auto is these days. ill keep an eye on this post for updates of mapping if thats what it comes down too Thanks for the good read

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
i think it's just getting used to the clutch.....my first week was a little trial and error, i had the bucking, stalling, etc.......all my trucks and cars are manual...and they all have to be driven differently....within a couple of weeks i had the shifting down...just a matter of getting the feel and getting used to the pedal and stick......it's an awesome manual, love it !!!

Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
i think it's just getting used to the clutch.....my first week was a little trial and error, i had the bucking, stalling, etc.......all my trucks and cars are manual...and they all have to be driven differently....within a couple of weeks i had the shifting down...just a matter of getting the feel and getting used to the pedal and stick......it's an awesome manual, love it !!!
I am not sure I agree. In my situation, the clutch is out and has been for 3-5 seconds, so this eliminates clutch/driver error. Just cruising along in first gear at a constant speed/throttle input and the jeep just starts bucking.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
So My new 3 week old 2019 Rubicon (1,500 miles) is having issues in the 35 - 45 mph range. It kind of shakes, sputters, kind of skips, bucks in that range.......whatever you want to call it. I cant comfortable leave it at 40 or 45 in 3rd or in 4th gear. 4th is acceptable and doesn't do it as bad but 3rd is not good. I have a manual transmission so not sure why it would do this? Automatic would be understandable as I have had a few friends have their jeeps in for issues with their automatic transmissions. If I take off pretty normal with no hesitation no issues at all. But most of the time I get behind someone doing exactly 40-45 mph which causes my Rubicon to jerk, buck, shake or run rough. It's at the proper shift points so that's not the issue. I have had manuals my whole life so I know how to drive them. It just doesn't run right in the 35 -45 mph range. Hums and runs like a tank on the highway 70-80 mph. Perfect from 1-35mph and 50-80mph. 40-45 in 3rd or 4th just seems to struggle to run smoothly. Went to the dealership on Saturday and had them hook up my Rubicon to their computer and scan for any codes. Sat there with him and watched as nothing came up and everything is normal. No codes came up. We went for a ride and he couldn't feel anything either. Of course it behaved for him. Any thoughts?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
It's definitely not getting used to the clutch. My 2018 bucked in 1st at low RPM with the clutch out. The throttle curve was also very touchy at low RPM. Very little pedal input would result in high engine RPM in neutral. My 2018 got replaced due to bad frame welds (and other) issues. The 2019 replacement is the same configuration (3.6l, manual), but does not have the bucking problem. The throttle curve is different as well. It takes more pedal input to achieve the same engine RPM and I can actually control the RPM between 800 and 1200. So either the factory tune has been updated, or there was something wrong with my 2018.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
It's definitely not getting used to the clutch. My 2018 bucked in 1st at low RPM with the clutch out. The throttle curve was also very touchy at low RPM. Very little pedal input would result in high engine RPM in neutral. My 2018 got replaced due to bad frame welds (and other) issues. The 2019 replacement is the same configuration (3.6l, manual), but does not have the bucking problem. The throttle curve is different as well. It takes more pedal input to achieve the same engine RPM and I can actually control the RPM between 800 and 1200. So either the factory tune has been updated, or there was something wrong with my 2018.
I agree that it's not a user thing. I think many of us are capable of maintaining a steady foot on the throttle,...have been doing it for years. I actually think the throttle is dropping under very little input, then tries to correct itself by blipping it.

My 2019 is atrocious for this...trying to park in my own driveway is sometimes a nightmare, with a slight incline. Sometimes I have to pull right up to a fence, to allow room for another car behind me, and it's stressful with the jeep being unpredictable. I love this thing 90 percent of the time....starting to hate it the other ten.

Two dealers have told me all of this behaviour is normal...which couldn't be more frustrating. Because they call it all normal, they won't even flash it or try anything. They argued with me for 20 minutes that it's normal, then tried to blame my 35s for it. Which is it....normal, or my fault?

Mine is a 2019. Has done this since day 1, less than 3000 kms on it now. Picked it up late december

eightamrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
When I was picking out my Rubicon, I drove 2 different manuals on the lot, the first bucked around 2000 RPM regardless of gear. Almost felt like misfires. I told them something was wrong with it, but the sales guy said it was just a characteristic of the car. They put me in a different one and I had no issues at all.

I ended up getting automatic because I was worried that I would be plagued with that issue and constantly told that I just didnt know how to drive manual. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
So my month old JLR was fine untill i went on a 10 day trip to ride backwoods of north Carolina. I come home and it starts bucking trying to lightly accelerate.
1 and 2nd gear only. Its on 4.88s with 35s and isn't stalling.
I need opinions. It seems as if its originating in rear axle bushing . Like original bushings in control arms are wore out. It hasnt been flexed even once. Suspension is tight as far as bolts .
Apparently everyone has looked at engine, could this be control arm related ?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I can feel the difference between new and now. There is more ā€˜playā€™ I would call it. I believe itā€™s stretch in the transfer case chain.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I can feel the difference between new and now. There is more ā€˜playā€™ I would call it. I believe itā€™s stretch in the transfer case chain.
Hmmm, that's something i had not considered . Thats kinda scary in that i always baby i vehicle first 3000 miles , then change fluids and drive it. If its stretched in my break in period it , it is gonna need a link out after next 5000. Lol

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a sport s. I get to enjoy this scenario every day in the parking garage at work.

i start in first. As soon as the clutch is out i shift to second and double clutch in this situation. I also never downshift to first. I only shift to first from a dead stop.

itā€™s quirky.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I have a sport s. I get to enjoy this scenario every day in the parking garage at work.

i start in first. As soon as the clutch is out i shift to second and double clutch in this situation. I also never downshift to first. I only shift to first from a dead stop.

itā€™s quirky.
Im still learning how to best deal with it, made me look like a idiot in front of grocery store.
Sponsored