Setting up for Flat Tow - show me pics of your connectors

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
i guess we’ve finally decided to keep the motorhome and set the Rubicon uonfor Flat tow. Setup will be:

• Maximus - 3 tow loops (ordered)
  • Blue Ox towbar ( already have)
  • RVI III brake system (already have)
  • RVI tow line charger ( left old one in my Honda, had to order a new one)
I’m interested in pictures of how people installed their electrical connections on the front. Where did you put your tow line connections? Where did you put your breakaway switch?

I’m using a OEM Jeep Steel Bumper, but anyone’s setup would be worth seeing.
Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Following for ideas.

OEM Plastic bumpers
Maximus3 Tow Loops installed
RVi Breakaway System arriving Monday/Tuesday
RVi Toad Battery Charger here, might install this weekend
Need to order Blue OX Towbar, and RVI 3, Mopar Flat Tow Harness

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I went with a Rock Hard Aluminum full width front bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Setting up for Flat Tow - show me pics of your connectors {filename}

The second image shows the emergency breakaway cable extending through a small hole in the bumper. The breakaway switch is mounted onto a bracket far enough back from the bumper to enable the pin to be fully extracted should the break need to be applied.
Jeep Wrangler JL Setting up for Flat Tow - show me pics of your connectors {filename}

The above image also shows the air quick connect between the D-ring and license plate.

In this next photo, you can see the electrical connector mounted into the face of the bumper.

With a bad back, I wanted the connections to be as high as possible.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I went with a Rock Hard Aluminum full width front bumper.

The second image shows the emergency breakaway cable extending through a small hole in the bumper. The breakaway switch is mounted onto a bracket far enough back from the bumper to enable the pin to be fully extracted should the break need to be applied.

The above image also shows the air quick connect between the D-ring and license plate.

In this next photo, you can see the electrical connector mounted into the face of the bumper.

With a bad back, I wanted the connections to be as high as possible.
For some reason I don’t see any pics

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
i guess we’ve finally decided to keep the motorhome and set the Rubicon uonfor Flat tow. Setup will be:

• Maximus - 3 tow loops (ordered)
  • Blue Ox towbar ( already have)
  • RVI III brake system (already have)
  • RVI tow line charger ( left old one in my Honda, had to order a new one)
I’m interested in pictures of how people installed their electrical connections on the front. Where did you put your tow line connections? Where did you put your breakaway switch?

I’m using a OEM Jeep Steel Bumper, but anyone’s setup would be worth seeing.
Pic of my steel bumper and the connections attached showing my layout.

Don't forget to check to make sure your BO tow bar adapters fit the Maximus-3 tow loops. I have the BO Ascent tow bar and bought the Maximus-3 Bo adapters and swapped them for the OEM's on the tow bar. I used the OEM bolts to attach them to the tow bar as the bolts Maximus supplied were too short. Note the Maximus adapters are pretty tight on the tow loops, some folks have sanded them down a bit. One of mine is super tight, so I'm going to sand the inside face of that tow loop and spray it with silicone lubricant (the kind that stays dry).

As you're aware since you had it already, you'll also need a constant 12v power outlet for the RVi Brake. The dash outlet is only powered with the ignition, but some run an extension to the back outlet which is reported to be always hot. I added an always hot RVi 12v outlet under my dash for easy access.

And. . . you didn't mention how you're handling the brake / turn / signal lights. The Mopar harness, Cooltech harness (my choice), other diode based setups, or the old school magnetic lights on the back are the choices that I am aware of.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
They show up here, both in my original post and in your quote. ???
Dont know what the deal is. Some people’s photos dont show up for some reason. Are you using Chrome or something like that? I dont see them at all

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

Don't forget to check to make sure your BO tow bar adapters fit the Maximus-3 tow loops. I have the BO Ascent tow bar and bought the Maximus-3 Bo adapters and swapped them for the OEM's on the tow bar. I used the OEM bolts to attach them to the tow bar as the bolts Maximus supplied were too short. Note the Maximus adapters are pretty tight on the tow loops, some folks have sanded them down a bit. One of mine is super tight, so I'm going to sand the inside face of that tow loop and spray it with silicone lubricant (the kind that stays dry).

As you're aware since you had it already, you'll also need a constant 12v power outlet for the RVi Brake. The dash outlet is only powered with the ignition, but some run an extension to the back outlet which is reported to be always hot. I added an always hot RVi 12v outlet under my dash for easy access.

And. . . you didn't mention how you're handling the brake / turn / signal lights. The Mopar harness, Cooltech harness (my choice), other diode based setups, or the old school magnetic lights on the back are the choices that I am aware of.

Going with the Mopar harness.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Going with the Mopar harness.
Actually, an update to this @jeepixel - I ordered the 6-pin connector for my Blue Ox 7 pin to 6 coiled tow cable. I’m going to put in on my skid plate similar to your mount. Will also install the RVI breakaway switch in the skid plate. But instead of the Mopar harness, I think I’m going to use go with a pair of magnetic LED tow lights I have. I have a plastic rear bumper, so I’ll attach some steel plates on the bumper and plasticoat it. Then I’ll run wires under the frame from the tow connector in the front to the magnetic lights and just connect them with standard 4-pin trailer connectors.

I had one of my tail lights out and was looking at it. I think there may be space to add something like this kit from eTrailer

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Honda/CR-V/2014/RM-155.html?vehicleID=20141130044

You install a seperate set of bulbs into your tail light housing by drilling and sealing with silicone. I went one step further and bought some extra bright LEDs that worked real well on the honda.

The Mopar harness is almost $400 and my son that works at the dealership says its 3 shop hours to install. Or a day of my time I suppose. Either way I go it’ll be cheaper and just as good. Also never connects to the Jeeps lighting system.

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Maximus-3 tow loops
Rugged Ridge Spartacus stubby bumper
Rugged ridge overrider bar
Rugged ridge winch plate
Blue ox towbar

A little tough, had to modify over rider bar. And the bumper to make it work. But it came out very well. The tow loops look like OEM

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Maximus-3 tow loops
Rugged Ridge Spartacus stubby bumper
Rugged ridge overrider bar
Rugged ridge winch plate
Blue ox towbar

A little tough, had to modify over rider bar. And the bumper to make it work. But it came out very well. The tow loops look like OEM

Where are your plugs (tow electronics cable, breakaway switch)?

Sweetpea

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

It looks like you have your breakaway through he plate under the front. Which product did you use and how is it mounted? This is my last step and I need a clean look.

Thanks

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
RockHard aluminum bumper with RH Blue Ox mounts. Harbor Freight magnetic tow lights with 5' extension. Brake Buddy with brake-away switch. Simple easy and relatively cheap.
Sponsored