Sponsored

Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @stumblinhorse, I was trying to decide if the MX+ is worth almost $100 more than the icar.
There are cheaper ones, but whichever one you buy make sure it is at least on the recommended list. The icar is not for a JL.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
There are cheaper ones, but whichever one you buy make sure it is at least on the recommended list. The icar is not for a JL.
Wouldn't it have more to do with whether it talks and works reliably with their app? I can't imagine there's compatibility issues over a 20 year old ODBII protocol with specific vehicles at this point. The iCar Pro Bluetooth LE has their "Highly Recommended" badge on it. I realize it doesn't list the JL, but most of them on that page do not list the JL either.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't it have more to do with whether it talks and works reliably with their app? I can't imagine there's compatibility issues over a 20 year old ODBII protocol with specific vehicles at this point. The iCar Pro Bluetooth LE has their "Highly Recommended" badge on it. I realize it doesn't list the JL, but most of them on that page do not list the JL either.
Buy it from Amazon. Worse case if it does not work, you can send it back.

There is an OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows that is cheaper:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Buy it from Amazon. Worse case if it does not work, you can send it back.

There is an OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows that is cheaper:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW
I did find this while Googling:

Also specifically for JL:

"* OBDLink MX+ adapter is needed for full capabilities, but almost everything will work with any of the supported adapters. The MX+ is needed to access RADIO, AMPLIFIER, HAVAC and BLIND SPOT modules. All adaptations can be performed with a normal adapter, however some adaptations (such as activating rear view camera) need a radio reset, and without the MX+ this will have to be done manually"

I'm not sure I would need to touch those items, but maybe I'll just spring for the MX+ for the extra capabilities. Maybe down the road I'll want them, or perhaps their app does something that I might want.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
they should be more clear

http://jscan.net/how-to-connecting-to-vehicle/

I just used it about 1 hour ago…
Remember JSCAN has been around for some time... for years..

From what the JSCAN Tech told me, one of the biggest JSCAN issues in regard to the JL is in regard to the Bluetooth Scanner... in particular the speed of the scanner used.

Tech recommended to me to go with the fastest OBDll Bluetooth Scanner on their list.... one they label "Highly Recommended specifically for the JL. ...... The fastest scanner on the list .... and that he pointed me to, was the OBD Link MX+ .

With that said.... sure other scanners will work....

For me though I want a scanner that will do the deed and not a unit that may not do the deed well at all times/for all I need to do. I know I will in the end sell the unit and recoop the $ I paid for it. I went with and recommend to other's is the OBD Link MX+ .

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problem, I don't think it's VIN locked (the ODB Link anyway) so I'm willing to share it :)

Now to post up my Tazer on the for sale board.
Only the JSCAN license is VIN locked.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
No problem, I don't think it's VIN locked (the ODB Link anyway) so I'm willing to share it :)

Now to post up my Tazer on the for sale board.
Zauto discontinuing or suspending or whatever they did with the Mac update process was the killer for me. Don’t own a windows machine and I have lived with troubling firmware update issues with Sony camera’s in the early days and it sux! Never again.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Zauto discontinuing or suspending or whatever they did with the Mac update process was the killer for me. Don’t own a windows machine and I have lived with troubling firmware update issues with Sony camera’s in the early days and it sux! Never again.
ZAutomotive had very good reasons to do that.

I do not blame Joe/Zautomotive at all.

Since the Tazer JL was first offered in 2018 .... the Z Automotive Programming Utility (ZPU) and getting it to deal with a MAC computer flawlessly, (in regard to Tazer JL firmware updates) was a major thorn in ZAutomotive's side so to speak.

For the Tazer JL owner using a MAC.... while some had no, or few issues.... well, many did have major issues..

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Hmmm, was not aware of that. The ZPU utility seemed to work OK for me, but all I ever used it for was firmware updates. It even works fine on the M1 Mac Mini.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I updated tire size and tpms last night and checked it after letting it sit. All the settings are still set. Only weird thing that no one mentions is the abs initialize thing that JScan makes you do. I wasn‘t even in the Jeep to hold the brake pedal down while it did the routine. Ran it for a minute to ensure tpms was set also, but it doesn’t get driven this morning, it is -22*F, so it stays in the garage. I plugged the SGW module back it and removed the 12+8.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I updated tire size and tpms last night and checked it after letting it sit. All the settings are still set. Only weird thing that no one mentions is the abs initialize thing that JScan makes you do. I wasn‘t even in the Jeep to hold the brake pedal down while it did the routine. Ran it for a minute to ensure tpms was set also, but it doesn’t get driven this morning, it is -22*F, so it stays in the garage. I plugged the SGW module back it and removed the 12+8.
This never happened on mine. Not sure what is causing it to happen on yours. My setting changes were very straightforward and about a billion times easier to accomplish versus Tazer and its whacked out menu system.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
So to be clear, if I order these things (I already have the Tazer extension cable), that would be enough to use JSCAN successfully? I have a Tazer JL Mini that I've never used so far, because I'm hesitant about the marrying/unmarrying, and all I really want to do is set a few non-live features. I just want to set my TPMS threshold, change some lighting options, and maybe adjust for tire size on next tire purchase.

I'm sure I can sell the Tazer and cover the cost of the above items, but just want to be sure I'm getting the best pieces to support the JSCAN software.

Thanks!
I ordered this BT adapter, which is recommended by JScan for the JL and half the price. It works fine. In fact, it works so good I'm going to unmarry my Tazer Mini and post it for sale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088LW211V
Sponsored