Sponsored

Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Taser Mini and no issues with it, I was just curious how the aforementioned settings can be done without anything remaining connected (or married). I am assuming the dealer can make these changes so what else can do it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
When you install a Tazer it copies your current configuration to the device so when you unmarry it for say dealer service or decide to no use it then it copies that configuration back.

If you forget to unmarry and the dealer service folks flash the system I don’t think you can marry the Tazer back as it thinks it still married to a vehicle, again this is something I heard several years back.

As far as permanent changes I’m not sure there is a device sold that will make permanent changes with the device removed, the closest I’m aware of if JSCAN as with the app after buying the license and getting a few pieces of hardware to attach you make your changes thru the app and there is no marry/unmarry process

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I have a Taser Mini and no issues with it, I was just curious how the aforementioned settings can be done without anything remaining connected (or married). I am assuming the dealer can make these changes so what else can do it?
Hptuners can change BCM without any married/unmarried issues

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to resurrect this thread. My Tazer mini is "ticking" and it is becoming a serious PITA to have to listen to it doing that. I have flashed and reflashed it to no avail. I have a recall and warranty work that I want to do this winter and removing the Tazer is a must.

In the end, all the Tazer is doing (for me) is setting the gear ratio and the tire size and changing the TPMS alert pressure. It also "kills the start/stop" feature, but that and the TPMS are not showstoppers.

There must a tool that will allow me to set my gear ratio and tire size, not have to be connected, not have a marry/unmarry requirement, AND does not break the bank.

Am I looking for a unicorn?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I wanted to resurrect this thread. My Tazer mini is "ticking" and it is becoming a serious PITA to have to listen to it doing that. I have flashed and reflashed it to no avail. I have a recall and warranty work that I want to do this winter and removing the Tazer is a must.

In the end, all the Tazer is doing (for me) is setting the gear ratio and the tire size. It also "kills the start/stop" feature, but that is not a showstopper.

There must a tool that will allow me to set my gear ratio and tire size, not have to be connected, not have a marry/unmarry requirement, AND does not break the bank.

You always have the option to have the dealer update your specific vehicle profile. Then anytime the dealer updates your software, it will update with the most current updates they put to your vehicle. I did that when I put larger tires on. It was cheaper than getting a tazer or other programmer since I don't plan to do any more changes as long as is covered under the extended warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You always have the option to have the dealer update your specific vehicle profile. Then anytime the dealer updates your software, it will update with the most current updates they put to your vehicle. I did that when I put larger tires on. It was cheaper than getting a tazer or other programmer since I don't plan to do any more changes as long as is covered under the extended warranty.
The dealer was my "fail safe". I was going to find a tech who would do it for a few bucks on the side but wanted some flexibility.

Does anyone know if a JSCAN will do what I am attempting?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
The dealer was my "fail safe". I was going to find a tech who would do it for a few bucks on the side but wanted some flexibility.

Does anyone know if a JSCAN will do what I am attempting?
If you are not worried about the start stop being deactivated get the JScan app with a Bluetooth OBD reader and the Chrysler bypass cables all for under $75 on Amazon. JScan is free but you need the license which is $20 if I remember right. You can change the settings you are looking to change and then disconnect the OBD reader and you’ll have nothing connected. I use JScan for all my settings as I don’t care about the start stop deactivate. I just hit the button after I push the ignition to start the Jeep. You can download the JScan app for free and look through the demo before buying the license.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGB4873/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W4YF2H7/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not worried about the start stop being deactivated get the JScan app with a Bluetooth OBD reader and the Chrysler bypass cables all for under $75 on Amazon. JScan is free but you need the license which is $20 if I remember right. You can change the settings you are looking to change and then disconnect the OBD reader and you’ll have nothing connected. I use JScan for all my settings as I don’t care about the start stop deactivate. I just hit the button after I push the ignition to start the Jeep. You can download the JScan app for free and look through the demo before buying the license.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGB4873/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W4YF2H7/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@Stuckinthesand - many thanks! This is what I wanted to hear. I will be picking all of it up from Amazon Prime so that if I don't like it, I can send it back.

Thanks for your help!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel JSCAN handles a lot but it does struggle with the ESS disabling compared to Tazer but nothing is left connected.

I leave my ECRI bypass in all the time and then when and if I want to make a change or test a new feature I just plug in one of several BT modules I have and use the phone app, you can also use a 12+8 bypass cable but the bypass module keeps you from plugging in/out of the SGW all the time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"? A6A31B9B-ACFC-499E-AEC6-75EAC8BC03E9

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Stuckinthesand - many thanks! This is what I wanted to hear. I will be picking all of it up from Amazon Prime so that if I don't like it, I can send it back.

Thanks for your help!
@CarbonSteel

Cancel your Amazon order for the Chrysler bypass cables or return them....

I suggest you not go with the Chrysler bypass cables.

DO, go with the ECRI security gateway bypass module that costs $24.99.

The ECRI offering works well..... better and lets say way cleaner way to go... I myself, no longer suggest anyone to go with the Chrylser bypass cables.

https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Security-2018-2020-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08DLB6VH6

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Cancel your Amazon order for the Chrysler bypass cables or return them....

I suggest you not go with the Chrysler bypass cables.

DO, go with the ECRI security gateway bypass module that costs $24.99.

The ECRI offering works well..... better and lets say way cleaner way to go... I myself, no longer suggest anyone to go with the Chrylser bypass cables.

https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Security-2018-2020-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08DLB6VH6
Looking at the module, I am not sure how it works/connects?

I am only looking to connect, make the gearing, tire size, TPMS settings, write the changes, disconnect everything, and plug the OEM cables back into the SGW leaving nothing connected.

Make sense?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel JSCAN handles a lot but it does struggle with the ESS disabling compared to Tazer but nothing is left connected.

I leave my ECRI bypass in all the time and then when and if I want to make a change or test a new feature I just plug in one of several BT modules I have and use the phone app, you can also use a 12+8 bypass cable but the bypass module keeps you from plugging in/out of the SGW all the time.

A6A31B9B-ACFC-499E-AEC6-75EAC8BC03E9.jpeg
For me (after using the Tazer) for more than a year, I only need to set the gear ratio, tire size, and TPMS. Once those are set, I want to disconnect everything and plug the OEM cables back into the SGW and leave nothing connected.

If the cable you have posted along with a one of the ODB II modules recommended by JSCAN, and the JSCAN app will do that, then I am golden.

I have a Tazer Mini installed, but it is my understanding that it has to remain connected and married to "hold" those settings as opposed to writing them to the ECM as the JSCAN does.

Can anyone confirm that is correct?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

In the end, all the Tazer is doing (for me) is setting the gear ratio and the tire size and changing the TPMS alert pressure. It also "kills the start/stop" feature, but that and the TPMS are not showstoppers.

@CarbonSteel

Have you contacted Joe or Ian at ZAutomotive and asked about the "ticking" you say you are hearing/ that you believe is emanating from the Tazer JL ?

I have never heard anyone c/o ticking as you mention....

IF it is the Tazer JL, ZAutomotive, I am confident will replace the one you have.

Even if you do not plan in keeping the Tazer JL you would be unwise not to get that unit replaced.... so at the least you could resell the Tazer JL.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Have you contacted Joe or Ian at ZAutomotive and asked about the "ticking" you say you are hearing/ that you believe is emanating from the Tazer JL ?

I have never heard anyone c/o ticking as you mention....

IF it is the Tazer JL, ZAutomotive, I am confident will replace the one you have.

Even if you do not plan in keeping the Tazer JL you would be unwise not to get that unit replaced.... so at the least you could resell the Tazer JL.

I have not contacted Joe, but will do that. There have been a few people complain about it and for most reflashing the Tazer solved it. It did not solve it for me, but makes it happen less often. Fairly certain the Tazer is causing it (though I am not sure if it the Tazer itself is ticking or making something else do it). If it is something else, I need to be able to remove the Tazer and have that fixed by the dealer, but then I am assuming my settings will be stock and that is not a good state to enter a warranty situation.

Removing the Tazer will also remove the ticking, but then I assume that I will be running around with the wrong gear ratio, tire size, and TPMS settings.

I am not able to find confirmation that if I change those settings, unmarry, and remove the Tazer if they remain permanently. If they do, then I am golden. I can manually kill the start/stop as needed--it is a nuisance, but not a showstopper.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not contacted Joe, but will do that. There have been a few people complain about it and for most reflashing the Tazer solved it. It did not solve it for me, but makes it happen less often. Fairly certain the Tazer is causing it (though I am not sure if it the Tazer itself is ticking or making something else do it). If it is something else, I need to be able to remove the Tazer and have that fixed by the dealer, but then I am assuming my settings will be stock and that is not a good state to enter a warranty situation.

Removing the Tazer will also remove the ticking, but then I assume that I will be running around with the wrong gear ratio, tire size, and TPMS settings.

I am not able to find confirmation that if I change those settings, unmarry, and remove the Tazer if they remain permanently. If they do, then I am golden. I can manually kill the start/stop as needed--it is a nuisance, but not a showstopper.
@CarbonSteel

Can tell you without question ...... If and when you unmarry the Tazer JL and leave the Tazer JL hardware in place or unmarry and remove the Tazer JL hardware, you absolutely do lose any and all settings you had made/done with the Tazer JL. I am not guessing at this.

Sponsored