Sponsored

Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Can tell you without question ...... If and when you unmarry the Tazer JL or unmarry and remove the Tazer JL you absolutely do lose any and all settings you had made/done with the Tazer JL. I am not guessing at this.
That was my suspicion all along. TBT and ticking notwithstanding, I want to write them permanently and remove everything afterwards.

Based upon what I read and the conversation that I had with JSCAN, it sounds like their solution is what I am looking for.

I bought this - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZL4LRVK and this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW from Amazon yesterday. I wanted to ask what issues there were with that cable.

Are the concerns related to leaving it connected permanently or something else? I appreciate your input on all of this! I can always send the cable back and grab something else.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I am not able to find confirmation that if I change those settings, unmarry, and remove the Tazer if they remain permanently. If they do, then I am golden. I can manually kill the start/stop as needed--it is a nuisance, but not a showstopper.
Marrying saves the previous configuration of your car's program and replaces with the Tazer's and any changes you make, unmarrying removes it all and puts back the previous configuration. You should be able to remove the Tazer without unmarrying and retain set changes, you will lose the active Tazer capabilities shown on their website. Most recommend unmarrying and removing prior to dealer visits in case they decide to reprogram the jeep, so you can then backup the newer program.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
That was my suspicion all along. TBT and ticking notwithstanding, I want to write them permanently and remove everything afterwards.

Based upon what I read and the conversation that I had with JSCAN, it sounds like their solution is what I am looking for.

I bought this - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZL4LRVK and this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW from Amazon yesterday. I wanted to ask what issues there were with that cable.

Are the concerns related to leaving it connected permanently or something else? I appreciate your input on all of this! I can always send the cable back and grab something else.
When I originally replied I forgot they came out with the ECRI module. It makes it easier to use with that module as you don’t have to play around under the dash to unplug the cables and then plug them back in. For me I set it and pretty much forget it but if I do need to change a setting I will need to play around under the dash which the first few times is a pain until you figure out how to do it easily. You can go either way. Honestly if I was buying the equipment today I would probably buy the module. I bought my hardware when I bought my Jeep which was when only the cables were available.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For me (after using the Tazer) for more than a year, I only need to set the gear ratio, tire size, and TPMS. Once those are set, I want to disconnect everything and plug the OEM cables back into the SGW and leave nothing connected.

If the cable you have posted along with a one of the ODB II modules recommended by JSCAN, and the JSCAN app will do that, then I am golden.

I have a Tazer Mini installed, but it is my understanding that it has to remain connected and married to "hold" those settings as opposed to writing them to the ECM as the JSCAN does.

Can anyone confirm that is correct?
Tazer has live functions and vehicle settings, with all live functions it has to be connected and married to work but with vehicle settings once you set them after marrying it you can just unplug the Tazer, but you,have to leave it married the rub is when you take your JL in for say a software update (reflash) and forget to unmarry the Tazer and they overwrite the ECM then you at a later date unmarry the Tazer to do a software update it will write back the data it stores so whatever flashthe dealer did will have to usually ( not always ) be redone but with JSCAN it does not matter because there is no process of marrying it to the system as it just writes the changes and if it’s overwrote at a later date by a reflash you just go back in and change the settings.

I have used both and currently use JSCAN along with a ECRI bypass and have not had any issues at all, both are solid products but each has its own pitfalls like JSCAN has what I call limited documentation and the interface has several things that show as options but are actually not as it’s a blanket program that covers several vehicles and trim packages and it handles ESS poorly IMHO where as the Tazer menu options only have JL options and it works well with ESS disabling but I have a smart stop/start module for that and it’s been flawless.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Chatted with @Rhinebeck01 (<---many thanks for all of the information!!) and this is what I am going to do:

Leave my Tazer extension cables in place
Unmarry my Tazer
Use it as the security bypass
Use a OBDLink MX+ OBD II module with JSCAN to make my setting configuration
Remove all except the extension cables
Plug the extension cables into themselves

Go wheeling!

Later, I will pick up an ECRI module and sell my Tazer.

Thanks all for all of the input and feedback!

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tazer has live functions and vehicle settings, with all live functions it has to be connected and married to work but with vehicle settings once you set them after marrying it you can just unplug the Tazer, but you,have to leave it married the rub is when you take your JL in for say a software update (reflash) and forget to unmarry the Tazer and they overwrite the ECM then you at a later date unmarry the Tazer to do a software update it will write back the data it stores so whatever flashthe dealer did will have to usually ( not always ) be redone but with JSCAN it does not matter because there is no process of marrying it to the system as it just writes the changes and if it’s overwrote at a later date by a reflash you just go back in and change the settings.

I have used both and currently use JSCAN along with a ECRI bypass and have not had any issues at all, both are solid products but each has its own pitfalls like JSCAN has what I call limited documentation and the interface has several things that show as options but are actually not as it’s a blanket program that covers several vehicles and trim packages and it handles ESS poorly IMHO where as the Tazer menu options only have JL options and it works well with ESS disabling but I have a smart stop/start module for that and it’s been flawless.
Thanks for this. For me, what you describe is the way to go. Though I like the Tazer, it has things that I am very fond of and the need to marry/unmarry is at the top of the list.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
For me (after using the Tazer) for more than a year, I only need to set the gear ratio, tire size, and TPMS. Once those are set, I want to disconnect everything and plug the OEM cables back into the SGW and leave nothing connected.

If the cable you have posted along with a one of the ODB II modules recommended by JSCAN, and the JSCAN app will do that, then I am golden.

I have a Tazer Mini installed, but it is my understanding that it has to remain connected and married to "hold" those settings as opposed to writing them to the ECM as the JSCAN does.

Can anyone confirm that is correct?
@CarbonSteel,

Yes you can adjust TPMS, Tire Size and Gear Ratio with a Tazer and then totally disconnect it all while leaving it 'Married'. This is what it refers as its 'Non-Live' features. Most of what people purchase the Tazer for however, such as the ESS disable override, requires it to indeed remain plugged in. These are its 'Live' features. So Live it must remain plugged in continuously but all Non-Live functiona can be set and removed (but remained Married). Think of it as you and your wife living somewhere separately. You're not connected, but still married.

I purchased the Tazer JL Mini but now wish I had only bought the Tazer JL Lite since I find I never use any of its 'Live' behaviors. While way cool, I still like the idea of my vehicle's most critical CAN bus to remaining connected to the Security Gateway (SGW) module.

Still, there does come some responsibility if you do Marry, adjust some 'Non-Live' configuration parameters and then disconnecting it (but remaining Married). You must always still Unmarry it whenever taking your Jeep in for Service. Otherwise any factory authorized flash update (either with or without your knowledge) could potentially damage your original configurations as was saved in the Tazer when it was first married.

If you were to someday eventually Unmarry, the original values (from the Tazer's backup), it could then overwrite the new values as just flashed in by the dealership. Recall, when you Marry your Tazer, it saves a complete backup of everything, not just the values you changed. So the entire calibration config space is saved.

You therefore want to ensure that your Married Tazer always stays relative to the latest factory authorized firmware flashed into your Jeep. You have to be very diligent to always Unmarry it, in order to put everything back to it's original configurations upon each and every dealership visit (even oil changes).

Unfortunately some firmware revisions are emissions related and the government could mandate a flash update at any time, regardless of whether you want it or not. So they have the ultimate say in what firmware your Jeep is operating with. Certainly not you and definitely not your Tazer.

So because of their ability to potentially reflash any of the controllers in your vehicle anytime they get their hands on it, you have to be disciplined about never giving the dealership a Married (yet even removed) Tazer configured unit.

That sucks but the consequences could be even worse. If you ever were to Unmarry your Tazer after it has been subsequently reflashed, anything from misbehavior to total software system dysfunction rendering the Jeep unusable may occur. Even worse yet, only a complete system recovery would then likely need to be performed. The factory Tell-Tale recorder would then have definitive proof that you have modified your vehicle in some unauthorized way. Good luck at them even considering a warranty claim at that point.

Recall, almost every third party programmer (including the Tazer) is unauthorized. If you have to bypass the SGW module in order to make changes, then it certainly is an unauthorized intrusion into the factory calibrations from the Manufacturer's perspective. This is similar to the concept of pirating access or hacking your vehicle, no matter how desirable it is for you.

Also if you have a wireless, internet connected UConnect 4 radio, with a disconnected SGW (with the Tazer instead plugged in) you are potentially now giving potentially unfettered access to your internal controller CAN bus to the real bad guys. Will bad things happen? Probably not but why do think the SGW was put there in the first place? Something else to yet consider.

By using the Tazer, even 'married but unplugged' additionally carries some risk. You have to be both cognizant and responsible for any side-effects if you don't manage this relationship appropriately. Just as in life infidelity can be a bitch.

On the upside, using the Tazer (or other third party products) you have complete control over getting your calibration's 'just right'. The dealership quoted me $128 for changing just the tire size value when installing my 35's. I'm very confident they would have simply entered 35 for the tire diameter calibration. In reality, I found that even though my sidewall states 35x12.5x17, a value of 34.8 turns out to be the most accurate. With a value of 35 my 'indicated' speed was actually higher than my 'true' speed. Not by a lot, but just enough to be annoying. Certainly 'good enough' by the dealership's viewpoint.

Also the dealership would not change any TPMS setting saying that they could not legally tamper with a safety system.

Furthermore, I also disable the Fog Light Dropout configuration with the Tazer. This prevents the fogs from automatically going dark whenever the high beams are illuminated (the default factory setting). On rural roads at night, I like seeing both near and far.

So while the Tazer allows you to tweak your Jeep's stock behaviors, some discipline and care must be applied as well.

I use the Tazer, leaving it Married but always reconnect the CAN bus to the Security Gateway as intended. While I don't have a wireless, internet connected radio ( I have the miserably crappy UConnect 3), being a Software Engineer I really do respect the concept of cyber security.

Lastly, if you do use your Tazer 'Married but disconnected' don't forget to always plug the CAN harness back into the SGW or you could blow fault code U0168 which could then illuminate the Check Engine Light (CEL).

With the Tazer however, you can always then clear any faults.

Hope this helps.
Happy Jeeping
Jay

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel,

Yes you can adjust TPMS, Tire Size and Gear Ratio with a Tazer and then totally disconnect it all while leaving it 'Married'. This is what it refers as its 'Non-Live' features. Most of what people purchase the Tazer for however, such as the ESS disable override, requires it to indeed remain plugged in. These are its 'Live' features. So Live it must remain plugged in continuously but all Non-Live functiona can be set and removed (but remained Married). Think of it as you and your wife living somewhere separately. You're not connected, but still married.

I purchased the Tazer JL Mini but now wish I had only bought the Tazer JL Lite since I find I never use any of its 'Live' behaviors. While way cool, I still like the idea of my vehicle's most critical CAN bus to remaining connected to the Security Gateway (SGW) module.

Still, there does come some responsibility if you do Marry, adjust some 'Non-Live' configuration parameters and then disconnecting it (but remaining Married). You must always still Unmarry it whenever taking your Jeep in for Service. Otherwise any factory authorized flash update (either with or without your knowledge) could potentially damage your original configurations as was saved in the Tazer when it was first married.

If you were to someday eventually Unmarry, the original values (from the Tazer's backup), it could then overwrite the new values as just flashed in by the dealership. Recall, when you Marry your Tazer, it saves a complete backup of everything, not just the values you changed. So the entire calibration config space is saved.

You therefore want to ensure that your Married Tazer always stays relative to the latest factory authorized firmware flashed into your Jeep. You have to be very diligent to always Unmarry it, in order to put everything back to it's original configurations upon each and every dealership visit (even oil changes).

Unfortunately some firmware revisions are emissions related and the government could mandate a flash update at any time, regardless of whether you want it or not. So they have the ultimate say in what firmware your Jeep is operating with. Certainly not you and definitely not your Tazer.

So because of their ability to potentially reflash any of the controllers in your vehicle anytime they get their hands on it, you have to be disciplined about never giving the dealership a Married (yet even removed) Tazer configured unit.

That sucks but the consequences could be even worse. If you ever were to Unmarry your Tazer after it has been subsequently reflashed, anything from misbehavior to total software system dysfunction rendering the Jeep unusable may occur. Even worse yet, only a complete system recovery would then likely need to be performed. The factory Tell-Tale recorder would then have definitive proof that you have modified your vehicle in some unauthorized way. Good luck at them even considering a warranty claim at that point.

Recall, almost every third party programmer (including the Tazer) is unauthorized. If you have to bypass the SGW module in order to make changes, then it certainly is an unauthorized intrusion into the factory calibrations from the Manufacturer's perspective. This is similar to the concept of pirating access or hacking your vehicle, no matter how desirable it is for you.

Also if you have a wireless, internet connected UConnect 4 radio, with a disconnected SGW (with the Tazer instead plugged in) you are potentially now giving potentially unfettered access to your internal controller CAN bus to the real bad guys. Will bad things happen? Probably not but why do think the SGW was put there in the first place? Something else to yet consider.

By using the Tazer, even 'married but unplugged' additionally carries some risk. You have to be both cognizant and responsible for any side-effects if you don't manage this relationship appropriately. Just as in life infidelity can be a bitch.

On the upside, using the Tazer (or other third party products) you have complete control over getting your calibration's 'just right'. The dealership quoted me $128 for changing just the tire size value when installing my 35's. I'm very confident they would have simply entered 35 for the tire diameter calibration. In reality, I found that even though my sidewall states 35x12.5x17, a value of 34.8 turns out to be the most accurate. With a value of 35 my 'indicated' speed was actually higher than my 'true' speed. Not by a lot, but just enough to be annoying. Certainly 'good enough' by the dealership's viewpoint.

Also the dealership would not change any TPMS setting saying that they could not legally tamper with a safety system.

Furthermore, I also disable the Fog Light Dropout configuration with the Tazer. This prevents the fogs from automatically going dark whenever the high beams are illuminated (the default factory setting). On rural roads at night, I like seeing both near and far.

So while the Tazer allows you to tweak your Jeep's stock behaviors, some discipline and care must be applied as well.

I use the Tazer, leaving it Married but always reconnect the CAN bus to the Security Gateway as intended. While I don't have a wireless, internet connected radio ( I have the miserably crappy UConnect 3), being a Software Engineer I really do respect the concept of cyber security.

Lastly, if you do use your Tazer 'Married but disconnected' don't forget to always plug the CAN harness back into the SGW or you could blow fault code U0168 which could then illuminate the Check Engine Light (CEL).

With the Tazer however, you can always then clear any faults.

Hope this helps.
Happy Jeeping
Jay
Thanks Jay. Nearly everything you note about the Tazer from a "this could be a bad thing" perspective is my primary reason for desiring to eliminate it from my system.

I do not want anything to either remain connected or have to be reversed to take it into the dealer. The other big gotcha is as both you and Rhinebeck01 mention is forgetting to unmarry it and the dealer flashes the ECU and you later unmarry and lose the updated firmware.

The Tazer is great, but after using it for over a year, it just does not meet my wants.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@jeepoch you Sir gave an extremely well documented and detailed explanation and thank you.

I was one of the original Tazer users and had the two piece and went thru some growing pains with parasitic draw and such and all of this was ultimately resolved by Joe and his group at Zauto.

I did a side by side shootout of the Tazer and SSS module here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-smart-stop-start-showdown.21707/

Steve at SSS was gracious enough to give me the module to test and once installed I was hooked as at the time it was the only device that remembered last state so I used it for ESS and made what changes I needed with the Tazer and removed it then a year or so later I went to update the firmware and it was DOA but I had the extended warranty but about the same time JSCAN was on the scene so I took that leap and sold the Tazer and have been on that train ever since.

I do use an ECRI bypass but don’t have OTA updates so no worries on getting hacked, I have toyed with almost everything in JSCAN but in the end I’ve only changed about 6-8 items and have not been back in to change or play for quite awhile, I figure if it works let it be.

In the end both products have downsides but as you stated we are playing with things that were not meant to be changed by the end user level, I remember back when I started on a 386 Sx 16 PC with 2 MB of memory and a 80Mb HD and had a 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives and no CD and logged on to various BBS’s and wrote simple batch files and got bold and bricked the computer dabbling in the CMOS and even burned up some processors overclocking them and I learned alot Back then so now I don’t change something until I understand the pitfalls and even then it’s not 100% so we as users have to realize this.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 - received my goodies today from Amazon (sent the Chrysler cable and LX version back yesterday).

The OBDLink MX+ is nicely made and comes with a storage case.

I opened a ticket with ZAutomotive for the Taser as well. I will be unmarrying it later this week and using JSCAN to reapply my settings. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"? 20220111_134940

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 - received my goodies today from Amazon (sent the Chrysler cable and LX version back yesterday).

The OBDLink MX+ is nicely made and comes with a storage case.

I opened a ticket with ZAutomotive for the Taser as well. I will be unmarrying it later this week and using JSCAN to reapply my settings. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"? 20220111_134940
Great! ....... Geeeez, my OBDLink MX+ , did not come with a case.... Could you please post a pic of the case...

Yes, keep me/us posted...

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great! ....... Geeeez, my OBDLink MX+ , did not come with a case.... Could you please post a pic of the case...

Yes, keep me/us posted...
Here you go:

Jeep Wrangler JL Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"? 20220111_141214

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Here you go:

Jeep Wrangler JL Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"? 20220111_141214
@CarbonSteel

I reached out to the companies Customer Service Dept. after hearing you received a storage case with your OBDLink MX+ and I did not.... 8-(

The rep that responded via email said..... that in mid 2021, they changed packaging and added/starting including the storage case...

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

I reached out to the companies Customer Service Dept. after hearing you received a storage case with your OBDLink MX+ and I did not.... 8-(

The rep that responded via email said..... that in mid 2021, they changed packaging and added/starting including the storage case...

They should have sent you one for being a customer and "promoting" their brand. As a consolation, the LX model that I returned did not have a case.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 - connected the OBDLinkMX+, added my license to JSCAN, and looked around in it with the Tazer still attached. My first impression is this is MUCH easier to use versus the EVIC with the Tazer. I was able to find all of the settings that I have made with the Tazer in the JSCAN and have noted them.

Tomorrow, I will unmarry the Tazer and set my configuration with JSCAN + ECRI (I need to test that too be sure it works) and let you know how it goes. So far it is far easier to make changes with JSCAN and because they are "permanent" with nothing attached afterwards, I give it two thumbs up so far.

The speed was just fine with this scanner too, so thanks for that recommendation!
Sponsored