Sponsored

Setting TPMS, Tire Size, and Gear Ratio "Permanently"?

Riotfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys with 2 Doors
Are you pulling on the wires? I’m hoping I go out and there magically come right out this time. I’m going in
Sponsored

Riotfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys with 2 Doors
I got it. I pulled the panels. And just my luck, neither of my obd2 things worked. Had to order another and extensions.

I unclipped the sgw wires from the metal brace. Gives more room to work with them and then putting them back in is easy since you can just grab the cord and push the plug in instead of the plug.

Riotfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys with 2 Doors
Yeah that’s the easy part. Was just those dumb cables

Largefarva

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Sahara
Read at each of thee links found at this link:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/4282445/?q=ecus&c[users]=Rhinebeck01&o=date

The gist is:
Always restart all ecus, twice at the end.. DO, Remember to cycle ignition key at the and and open and close the door.

I think I'll go out to my Jeep and do the ecu reset twice like you said. One question though....do I need to cycle the ignition key and open/close the door after each reset or just once after both resets are done?

I did figure out the problem with the stereo as far as it being stuck on one sat radio station and not being able to change the channel until I switch it to apple music. Last night I also installed a new wireless carplay adapter from carlinkit (the 2air model...latest and greatest) and every time it connects to my phone for carplay it happens again. Switching to any other music source (FM, AM, apple music, etc.) and back to satellite radio fixes it. If I plug in my old wireless carplay adapter it doesn't do this.

Update:
I went ahead and did the ecu reset twice. Since it tells me to take it from run>off>run after each time I did that and opened/closed the door both times I did the ecu reset. I checked for engine codes using quick diagnostic and there weren't any present, but when I started the engine the check engine light was on. I checked for codes using the advanced scan and it had a ton of codes under that section. After I cleared them in the advanced scan section the check engine light went away.

The issue with the stereo being "stuck" after connecting with my new wireless carplay adapter until I change the music source still persists...so I'm convinced that it's due to that wireless carplay adapter.

Last edited:

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
You and other's do not have to use the ZAutomotive provided switch to turn on/off SGW. That is not necessary. Just unmarry the Tazer JL and start using JSCAN.
@Rhinebeck:

I've read multiple threads here and the Tazer JL Mini instructions multiple times. Think I understand it by and large. Thanks for your previous recommendation on the SGW Extension Cable - VERY worthwhile. I made minor vehicle setting changes for now - really just setting the fogs to stay on when I turn on brights. Really got the Tazer Mini for Live Functions to remember the ESS button state and for the turn cam, hood alarm and auto park kill.

Previously purchased an OBDLink MX+ so I could potentially use JSCAN in future as well. And on that note, can you enlighten me as to what the Tazer SGW Lock setting does? (In the "other" submenu of vehicle settings.) I asked ZAutomotive but their answer still left me confused. They told me when it's set to "no" the OBD2 port can be used by diagnostic equipment to access the vehicle. Set to "yes" is the default and what it returns to when you unmarry according to ZAutomotive.

You (and others) recommend unmarrying the Tazer before making JSCAN changes (and I understand the logic of doing so). But if unmarrying puts the SGW Lock setting to "yes" (which is not the "no" setting ZAutomotive says is necessary for diagnostic equipment - like the MX+ - to access the OBD2 port) how does the unmarried Tazer still connected function as a SGW bypass?

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Rhinebeck:

I've read multiple threads here and the Tazer JL Mini instructions multiple times. Think I understand it by and large. Thanks for your previous recommendation on the SGW Extension Cable - VERY worthwhile. I made minor vehicle setting changes for now - really just setting the fogs to stay on when I turn on brights. Really got the Tazer Mini for Live Functions to remember the ESS button state and for the turn cam, hood alarm and auto park kill.

Previously purchased an OBDLink MX+ so I could potentially use JSCAN in future as well. And on that note, can you enlighten me as to what the Tazer SGW Lock setting does? (In the "other" submenu of vehicle settings.) I asked ZAutomotive but their answer still left me confused. They told me when it's set to "no" the OBD2 port can be used by diagnostic equipment to access the vehicle. Set to "yes" is the default and what it returns to when you unmarry according to ZAutomotive.

You (and others) recommend unmarrying the Tazer before making JSCAN changes (and I understand the logic of doing so). But if unmarrying puts the SGW Lock setting to "yes" (which is not the "no" setting ZAutomotive says is necessary for diagnostic equipment - like the MX+ - to access the OBD2 port) how does the unmarried Tazer still connected function as a SGW bypass?
Patrick, typically an 'Unmarry' involves both a divorce and separation. The divorce is the logical step, and the separation is the physical. I believe (if I'm understanding this properly) is that it's possible to divorce (via the unmarry operation) but stay connected so the Tazer physically remains plugged into the wire harness. Thus still bypassing the Security Gateway Module (SGW).

The Tazer is not an SGW but it certainly can remain installed (even though it's no longer 'married') and allow other tools to pirate their way into your vehicle's CAN Bus.

So to be more clear maybe the terms should be:

- Married: Plugged in and (Live) like ESS disable functionality.

- Separated: Not plugged in but still married and functioning (Not Live). Settings like tire diameter has been changed. The SGW is most likely reinstalled in order to prevent fault codes.

- Divorced: Not married but still plugged in and bypassing the SGW. Just a pushbutton (or two) away from a remarry.

- Unmarried: Not Married, not plugged in, SGW connected like factor stock.

So it sounds to me the Tazer can indirectly help other tools gain access to the CAN Bus by leaving it physically plugged in (but Divorced) so as not to interfere with the other tool's logical behaviors.

Jay

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So it sounds to me the Tazer can indirectly help other tools gain access to the CAN Bus by leaving it physically plugged in (but Divorced) so as not to interfere with the other tool's logical behaviors.

Jay
After upgrading to the 8.4" head unit, I also discovered that without an SGW bypass of some kind (Tazer, or ECRI SGW bypass module), that the Off-Road pages do not work completely. I think 3 of the 5 gauges fail to show anything unless you have an SGW Bypass installed. Probably why many people with Tazers leave them installed for the SGW bypass functionality if nothing else.

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
So to be more clear maybe the terms should be:

- Married: Plugged in and (Live) like ESS disable functionality.

- Separated: Not plugged in but still married and functioning (Not Live). Settings like tire diameter has been changed. The SGW is most likely reinstalled in order to prevent fault codes.

- Divorced: Not married but still plugged in and bypassing the SGW. Just a pushbutton (or two) away from a remarry.

- Unmarried: Not Married, not plugged in, SGW connected like factor stock.

Jay
Jay - thanks, I like your analogies. It appears that before using something like JSCAN you should definitely be "Divorced" - that way the tazer is still plugged in to function as the SGW bypass but you're taking care of "version control". By version control I mean being sure you're not making a change only to accidentally undo that change later. That's what would happen if you don't unmarry the tazer before you make a JSCAN change. If you don't unmarry and you make a JSCAN change and then later - maybe WAY later - you unmarry and the tazer writes back the settings as they were originally when married, which in this example was before you made the JSCAN change. Now that JSCAN change has been undone and you likely didn't intend it to be.

The "SGW Lock" tazer vehicle setting appears to be very targeted to the specific scan tool Jeep dealerships use. If you change this to "no" then supposedly you could leave your tazer married and go to the dealership without the tazer causing any errors on the dealer electronic scan tools. If this setting is its default "yes" in the tazer and you take the vehicle to a dealership in a married state it will confound the dealership electronic tools. LEAVE THIS SETTING ON DEFAULT "YES" and just always go to "unmarried" as defined above when going to the dealership. You just can never be sure they won't notice some software patch that should be applied on a technical service bulletin and do it for you even if you were just getting an oil change. If you tried to use the "SGW Lock" setting to "no" and leave the tazer married now the tazer doesn't cause the dealership any problems BUTTTTTT later - perhaps WAY later - if you unmarry the tazer you might accidentally undo part/all of that software patch the dealer applied. This setting seems to have zero impact on whether your tazer functions as a SGW bypass relative to tools like JSCAN.
Sponsored