Setting Amp level for level 1 charging

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
I was wondering if there is a setting to set a desired Amp setting for level 1 charging. In the manual it seems like it's automatic, and if it senses it is getting too hot it goes to a lower setting, but it states for level 1 charging: Level 1 (120 V/15 A), so I am wondering if it always defaults to 15 amps? So if you plugged it into a 15 amp breaker, it would start drawing 100% of its capacity right away until it senses it's getting too hot and switch to a lower amp, like 12 or 8?

Is there a screen where you can cap it at like 8 amps or 12 amps manually?
Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
The vehicle should default to 15 amps on L1 and 30/32 amps L2.
I didn't see anything in the Hybrid Supplement booklet saying we can adjust the charging rate.
Most EVs won't charge on less than 8 amps. Your L1 EVSE should be plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Do you have one of those available?

I just got my 4xe so I am not terribly familiar with it yet but most EVs will monitor the HVB temp and activate the cooling strategies while charging. EVs with DCFC capabilities do vary the amps via a request to the EVSE but since we don't have that ability with the 4xe then we don't have to worry about that. :)
With L1 or L2....the thermal gain should be manageable by the vehicle itself. I believe the 4xe has a liquid cooled HVB so your L1 EVSE won't cause that to overheat. You will be fine. :like:

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
The vehicle should default to 15 amps on L1 and 30/32 amps L2.
I didn't see anything in the Hybrid Supplement booklet saying we can adjust the charging rate.
Most EVs won't charge on less than 8 amps. Your L1 EVSE should be plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Do you have one of those available?

I just got my 4xe so I am not terribly familiar with it yet but most EVs will monitor the HVB temp and activate the cooling strategies while charging. EVs with DCFC capabilities do vary the amps via a request to the EVSE but since we don't have that ability with the 4xe then we don't have to worry about that. :)
With L1 or L2....the thermal gain should be manageable by the vehicle itself. I believe the 4xe has a liquid cooled HVB so your L1 EVSE won't cause that to overheat. You will be fine. :like:
Thank you, yes I want to park at a friend's garage, and there is a 20 amp breaker on the outlet, but also a modem and router plugged into it, which have 4.5 amps together. So I was thinking that would not work out, unless I could tell my 4xe to only draw 8 amps.

Have fun with your new 4xe! Mine is coming in the next week or so.

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
The default charge rate is 12a and there isn't a way to lower that. The amperage will drop as the battery gets more of a charge (it doesn't pull 12a the entire charge cycle).

It would be nice if Jeep let you select 8a charge rate. My Chevy Volt has this feature in the infotainment screen.

You should be fine if you are on a 20a circuit with 12a max on the 4xe with the modem and router at 4.5a

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, yes I want to park at a friend's garage, and there is a 20 amp breaker on the outlet, but also a modem and router plugged into it, which have 4.5 amps together. So I was thinking that would not work out, unless I could tell my 4xe to only draw 8 amps.

Have fun with your new 4xe! Mine is coming in the next week or so.
It might work. In theory.....a 20 amp circuit should be physically able to handle a 20 amp load but most everyone recommends 80% load factor. So, no more than 16 amps continuous on a 20 amp circuit. etc, etc etc.

An older circuit with older wiring and a long path might trip that breaker. A garage circuit, close to the panel with new wiring would probably be okay. You might be able to run that EVSE on that circuit with the modem and router (especially if they aren't really drawing that much power).

L1 isn't going to be very convenient long term. Do you have an eventual plan to get a L2 station for home use?

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The default charge rate is 12a and there isn't a way to lower that. The amperage will drop as the battery gets more of a charge (it doesn't pull 12a the entire charge cycle).

It would be nice if Jeep let you select 8a charge rate. My Chevy Volt has this feature in the infotainment screen.

You should be fine if you are on a 20a circuit with 12a max on the 4xe with the modem and router at 4.5a
Good to know. Thanks.
My booklet says 15 amps on L1 but I've only charged on L2 since that is what I have at home. I am adding another L2 at home and that one connects to my home network and has an app that will show some charging date. Will be interesting to see what the vehicle actually draws from the wall. :)

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon

That's great to know it defaults at 12 amps! Yeah, I have a Volt, too, and I like the 8 amp setting. So I'm guessing it says 15 amps in the manual just to dissuade people from plugging in other things to the outlet?

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
It might work. In theory.....a 20 amp circuit should be physically able to handle a 20 amp load but most everyone recommends 80% load factor. So, no more than 16 amps continuous on a 20 amp circuit. etc, etc etc.

An older circuit with older wiring and a long path might trip that breaker. A garage circuit, close to the panel with new wiring would probably be okay. You might be able to run that EVSE on that circuit with the modem and router (especially if they aren't really drawing that much power).

L1 isn't going to be very convenient long term. Do you have an eventual plan to get a L2 station for home use?
It's a brand new breaker and wiring, so that's good. I am storing my 4xe in my friend's garage, but my own level 2 is the dream - I learned too recently all the new ways you can install a level 2 charger by plugging it into a NEMA 50 amp 14-50 outlet, with no hard wires, so that is really cool.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It's a brand new breaker and wiring, so that's good. I am storing my 4xe in my friend's garage, but my own level 2 is the dream - I learned too recently all the new ways you can install a level 2 charger by plugging it into a NEMA 50 amp 14-50 outlet, with no hard wires, so that is really cool.
That is what I have and the only way to go imo.
Sponsored