Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
This post really took a turn. I love the internet.
Sorry 😔

It's crazy on here how a little jab can turn into a heated debate. It definitely seems to be a common thing.
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Just dont move here and try to do away with cattle, cattle farts are welcome here..... I'll stop there.
Hey man, cattle farts are free fuel for farmers. They need all the help they can get, and if saving all your manure helps heat the house in the winter, I say more power to em!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This post really took a turn. I love the internet.
This forum is the absolute worst for that, although most automotive forums are. You ask for downsides and almost everyone replies with what they love instead. They’re conditioned that way, can’t help it. Your thread isn’t nearly derailed though until it takes the obligatory turns through “stripped vs loaded models”, then a left at “fuel prices/mileage (passing gas vs diesel along the way)”, cruise past “how many Jeeps I’ve owned/how long I’ve been driving Jeeps”, before a short stop at “what size tires” and onto “what lift”, before spiraling down the freeway toward partisan politics and getting shut down.

Oh, and the Bronco obsession. Like that one semi hot girl that somehow managed to take an interest in you in the 10th grade, only to trade up to the starting QB. You’ll never get over it and never stop telling anyone who stands still long enough for you to reminisce. You’ve done so much better for yourself ! She sucks.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
...We took a wheeling road trip from Texas to Colorado last year with 2 other adults. No room at all. Uncomfortable for the 24 hours of driving getting there and the 24 getting home. Burned a tanker load of fuel. However it was fantastic for the 5 days of wheeling in the mountains. Unmodified it would have been much better so keep that in mind too. Good luck.
I had to read that like 5X, in order for me to try and find an excuse to agree with you, and I just could not find one.

I'm a lil over 6 foot 3 or 193 cm, and people the same height as me, sit comfortably behind me.

Unless the drivers and passengers are seriously over-weight(which is quite possible given the latest reports of the average American weight), I see zero issues space wise inside of the JL cabin.

I also don't find it more "uncomfortable" in modified form, as far as ride is concerned anyways.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had to read that like 5X, in order for me to try and find an excuse to agree with you, and I just could not find one.

I'm a lil over 6 foot 3 or 193 cm, and people the same height as me, sit comfortably behind me.

Unless the drivers and passengers are seriously over-weight(which is quite possible given the latest reports of the average American weight), I see zero issues space wise inside of the JL cabin.

I also don't find it more "uncomfortable" in modified form, as far as ride is concerned anyways.
We have vastly different definitions of comfortable. I’m 6’2”. My nephew is the same. There’s no way one of us can sit behind the other comfortably. Fortunately our wives are about 5’3” and 5’5” and it was no picnic for them.

My Jeep was stock when I bought it. Given the lift and other suspension upgrades as well as 37” MT tires, the ride is quite uncomfortable for 6 hour continuous stints. But if it rides like a 70s Lincoln Town Car to you consider yourself fortunate.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
We have vastly different definitions of comfortable. I’m 6’2”. My nephew is the same. There’s no way one of us can sit behind the other comfortably. Fortunately our wives are about 5’3” and 5’5” and it was no picnic for them.
I'm assuming you have an other vehicle in your fleet, that has much better legroom? If you do, I'm a bit curious to know what is the make of this vehicle?

I've got an Ioniq 5 that actually has more room, so don't think that I hold allegiance to anything in the car and truck space, because I don't lol.

Just curious, that is all 😉

Last edited:

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

The downsides are surprisingly numerous, but easily overcome by the upsides - if it is 'for you'. I suggest renting one through Turo for a week or so to test it out. It's a unique and unparalleled experience, but that does mean that some people simply can't like it.

The cost of ownership is really high. It gets appalling fuel economy. You'll have to replace your windshield far more frequently than anything else you have ever owned. If you use it as it is intended - as an off-road vehicle - you will break stuff. The dealers will take you on wild rides with the prices and repairs they will expect you to pay. This is coincidentally why CR gives it such a bad wrap - when its used as an off-roader, the frequency and severity which you will break things will make it objectively unreliable.
It's not as comfortable as most other modern vehicles, and certainly not as comfortable as your minivan. You can't carry remotely as much stuff or people - even getting a week's worth of groceries for a family of four can use most of the cargo space.
Basically it's nowhere near as "practical" as just about any other vehicle.
It's not as safe as other vehicles. As much as people want to object to that statement, it's true. Sure, you are more well protected - in that if you roll over you are unlikely to get hurt, but its WAY more likely to roll over. If you get in any front/rear/side accident, there isn't remotely as much 'crumple' zone to absorb that energy so you may very well get hurt more than others would - but if you get in a minor accident, it's a lot quicker easier and cheaper to repair than anything else.

There are a lot of trade-offs with owning a Jeep...

BUT

The feeling of how it drives, and the exhilaration of being able to climb cliffs as tall as the vehicle, as well as the ability to go anywhere that you can want to go are just so indescribable that you have to throw "rationality" out the door. You put the top down / remove the top, you go door-less when the weather is perfect, and you aren't traveling through nature, you are traveling IN nature... You feel connected to the world around you - not in the way that a sports car is connected as an extension to the road; but in the way that a hug connects you to a loved one.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey man, cattle farts are free fuel for farmers. They need all the help they can get, and if saving all your manure helps heat the house in the winter, I say more power to em!
I love the smell of oil fields and Abilene in the morning. You know that crude oil smell followed by the vast open range and feed lots. It smells like, like, Victory!

Last edited:

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The feeling of how it drives, and the exhilaration of being able to climb cliffs as tall as the vehicle, as well as the ability to go anywhere that you can want to go are just so indescribable that you have to throw "rationality" out the door. You put the top down / remove the top, you go door-less when the weather is perfect, and you aren't traveling through nature, you are traveling IN nature... You feel connected to the world around you - not in the way that a sports car is connected as an extension to the road; but in the way that a hug connects you to a loved one.
I think Kipling wrote something like that.

They shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again,
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
It is underneath the coppice and heath,
And the thin anemones 

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm assuming you have an other vehicle in your fleet, that has much better legroom? If you do, I'm a bit curious to know what is the make of this vehicle?

I've got an Ioniq 5 that actually has more room, so don't think that I hold allegiance to anything in the car and truck space, because I don't lol.

Just curious, that is all 😉
Lexus GS350 F Sport and F150 Supercrew. The GS is leaving to make way for an RX350 as soon as it arrives at the dealership. On the test drive I set the driver seat as far back as it goes and sat in back. Not luxuriously roomy, but I can sit with my legs straight forward and still have a little room.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We took a wheeling road trip from Texas to Colorado last year with 2 other adults. No room at all. Uncomfortable for the 24 hours of driving getting there and the 24 getting home.
I'm a lil over 6 foot 3 or 193 cm
people the same height as me, sit comfortably behind me.
That will vary according to how the person is constructed.

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam (for dress slacks; 36" for denim). A high school friend of mine is 6'2" and has a 31" inseam. I'm all leg and he's all torso. His head is a bit closer to the roof, while my knees are pressed into the seatback...unless I splay them, which eventually becomes uncomfortable. I avoid rear seats like the plague for objectively demonstrable reasons. Others may fare better. Universal claims can't really apply here.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Low reliability.

Bad service and support.

Big markup.

Loud on highway.

Have to clean the windshield every 3rd mile in the summer from dead bugs.

Still loving mine as long as 1 and 2 don't plunge too far.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
That will vary according to how the person is constructed.

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam (for dress slacks; 36" for denim). A high school friend of mine is 6'2" and has a 31" inseam. I'm all leg and he's all torso. His head is a bit closer to the roof, while my knees are pressed into the seatback...unless I splay them, which eventually becomes uncomfortable. I avoid rear seats like the plague for objectively demonstrable reasons. Others may fare better. Universal claims can't really apply here.
like this?

https://br.ifunny.co/video/5xpXvRFj7?s=cl

plus add an extra 200lb of upper body fat and butt cheek fat, which looking around me, seems to be the norm, and I'm beginning to catch your drift 😂😆
Sponsored