Set my expectations: Downsides to Jeep ownership

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Mine drives like any other car or truck I have owned. Sure it is stiff on bumps but that is expected, but my steering is solid. Maybe I got one of few that steer just fine but so did my 20 JL and 14 JK Wrangler etc.
Our “one of few” club is likely larger than we know. Those with problems understandably loudly complain. Fellow “one of few” members say little unless asked. BTW— the 4R my Jeep replaced was much stiffer over bumps.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to boil this down to the most essential factors and am left with this.

We buy things that will make us happy (or maybe less unhappy for some things.)

A Wrangler isn't the most reliable, smooth riding, energy efficient value out there. And Consumer Report's low rating of it isn't a product of simply their incompetence at how they rate things, but rather a question, particularly with the Wrangler, of whether they've considered the right things to rate to gauge owner happiness.

Sure, nobody's even been happy to pay for dealer service or fuel, but it almost seems like nobody at Consumer Reports ever took the top off and felt the sun and wind on their face and said, "man, this makes me happy and somehow we should quantify this experience, that we get with so few other vehicles, into the overall allure of the Wrangler."

Warts and all, Wranglers make people happy, more happy perhaps than other vehicles which rate higher in the more mundane and utilitarian things that Consumer Reports chooses to rate, and that apply to most other vehicles.
All things that give us pleasure, fun, enjoyment, adventure, great experiences, and fill our lives come at some kind of a cost or concession. I choose the Jeep experience over driving highly rated boring “transportation” Some love to Drive, some want Transportation.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
The main drawback for me is that the places where I enjoy the Wrangler the most typically require 3 to 7 hours of highway driving to get to and as others have shared, it’s not a comfortable cruiser.

I was thinking of maybe just buying a dirt bike to be towed on a trailer behind my SUV but that meant I would be limited to solo adventures.

Took my teenage son down a long windy single lane track over President’s day weekend to a spot on the Pacific Ocean that probably gets no more than 5 humans visiting per week. We did stumble upon a herd of about 50 Roosevelt elk while hiking through the brush. Priceless.

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Our “one of few” club is likely larger than we know. Those with problems understandably loudly complain. Fellow “one of few” members say little unless asked. BTW— the 4R my Jeep replaced was much stiffer over bumps.
When I first started making noises about ordering a Jeep, several friends told me how poorly it would drive/ride and encouraged me to drive one first - I think they thought I would change my mind. So I did. And what I noticed was absolutely no difference between the JL Rubi ride and the 4Runner I already had. 🤷🏼‍♀️

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The main drawback for me is that the places where I enjoy the Wrangler the most typically require 3 to 7 hours of highway driving to get to and as others have shared, it’s not a comfortable cruiser.

I was thinking of maybe just buying a dirt bike to be towed on a trailer behind my SUV but that meant I would be limited to solo adventures.

Took my teenage son down a long windy single lane track over President’s day weekend to a spot on the Pacific Ocean that probably gets no more than 5 humans visiting per week. We did stumble upon a herd of about 50 Roosevelt elk while hiking through the brush. Priceless.
Family heirloom CJ3A has many multiples of towed vs driven miles. Consider finding a good shape small light easily towed CJ.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first started making noises about ordering a Jeep, several friends told me how poorly it would drive/ride and encouraged me to drive one first - I think they thought I would change my mind. So I did. And what I noticed was absolutely no difference between the JL Rubi ride and the 4Runner I already had. 🤷🏼‍♀️
My 05 4R jarred my teeth and back with small bumps, sway and wallow badly. Stock JLU rides much better, further improved with 35/12.50’s at 32psi. Also, if you test drove one the tire psi was likely about 10psi too high as delivered, diminishing the ride quality. 😊

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess it depends what you're used to, I've been driving rough riding vehicles for 45+ years so the Wranglers are pretty plush in comparison. Comparing one of these JLs to my 74 CJ5 w/ stiff Rancho leaf springs is like a laying on a top of the line pillow top mattress vs. a thin slab of foam at summer camp :) And yeah, the wind noise and overall cabin noise can be a bit much, but just turning up the volume on your jams can help w/ that :)
Rancho should have been sued for false advertising calling them “springs”. Even pulling a leaf out didn’t help. I have owned 3 rigid frame motorcycles and 1 rigid frame CJ5. 🙄 the motorcycles rode better, the front ends had springs. 😉 Edit— actually a 63 MD/M38A1 but I shortly started calling it a 5 to avoid having to explain to puzzled people and have ever since. Not necessary here, but it has become automatic.

Last edited:

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I view my Jeep as a toy, and while I drive it daily I don’t have to. It’s got a very low towing capacity (I’m in a 2dr). I can’t put much more than personal camping/climbing gear inside it with the rear seat removed. Gas mileage is better rated in smiles per mile. But it’s an off-road beast, and I can park in spots that look tight for a scooter.

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
My 05 4R jarred my teeth and back with small bumps, sway and wallow badly. Stock JLU rides much better, further improved with 35/12.50’s at 32psi. Also, if you test drove one the tire psi was likely about 10psi too high as delivered, diminishing the ride quality. 😊
Oh, yes, the sway on rhe 4Runner is something else (I’ve had two - a 2002 and a 2016 - and both had it!)

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I’ve wanted a Jeep since I was a teenager and last week I ordered my first Jeep. My twins are about to graduate high school this year so I’m trading in the sweet ass minivan for a sweet ass 4xe Sahara - after all, I’m not a regular mom, I’m a cool mom.

Consumer Reports has historically rated them super low, which is why we’ve never bought one before, but I figured YOLO and all that. Time for fun.

Despite the excitement for having a fun new car, I’d like to know what to expect negatively so I’m not surprised.

I saw a tiktok the other day that basically was like:

what’s the best part of owning a jeep?

It’s a Jeep! 🥳

What’s the worst part of owning a jeep?

It’s a Jeep 😖
COMPARED to a normal car or SUV:

- Noisy
- Bumpy
- Vague steering (this one is a big complaint by many)
- Fuel economy not great (it is not aerodynamic)
- Comparatively not as many features and options for your money (you pay for removable doors, solid axles, etc)
- Mid range reliability

As a lifelong CJ/Wrangler owner this is just the price for the game. I don't notice them anymore, but they do exist, I think most any Wrangler owner would agree with the above list.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If you want a Wrangler, then get a Wrangler. What's the worst that can happen? The resale is super high, so you wont loose much, if anything.
Downsides are there, as with any car.

1. The ride is shit compared to anything else on the road. Though many feel this is also a plus as it's part of the "charm".
I personally do not mind unless it's a long drive, then it does get exhausting relative to basically anything else.

2. Since it's a Jeep, you will feel a lot of pressure to "upgrade" it. i.e.. drop a shit tonne of money on stuff you don't really "need".

3. The dealers really are the worst. The company in general sucks, so you are supporting them by buying it. This is my 9th Jeep that I got through a dealer and it gets worse every year. This will be my last Jeep because of that. I'll go with the INEOS Grenadier as it is slightly cheaper with a BWM straight 6.

4. The load carrying capacity is ridiculously low.

5. Not ideal for towing.

6. Range is bad. Though, since you are in the US that should not really be a concern unless you are going to Alaska or something.

7. Objectively poor reliability.

At the end of the day, Jeeps are flawed but fun vehicles. There are basically unlimited numbers of customization and ways to personalize it your tastes.
For decades it has been the single entry in a niche market. Fortunately today, that is no longer the case and you have options.
However, in the US at least, nothing else will come close in terms of aftermarket support for a long time.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

How about some of the obvious upsides of being a true Four-season vehicle.

Winter: You will be ready for most weather situations (other than ice). Some of us nutjobs actually try to get out after a snowstorm, but before the plows hit the roads.

Spring: You never know what is going to happen, especially in the Northeast. One day it is snowing, the next it might be 65 degrees. With the soft top (and heated seats/steering wheel), you can take it down whenever the sun starts to shine.

Summer: Driving topless and doorless. Enough said.

Fall: There is nothing better than hitting the trails where no other "cars" can go to see the trees changing colors, trunk-or-treats gatherings around October, and trail runs with local offroad groups.

You can find downsides to owning any vehicle, but no one has ever stopped to tell me how awesome my Hyundai Sonata looks.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Are you someone who expects life to always be comfortable and easy and smooth? If so, don’t buy a Wrangler.

OTOH, if you’re someone who is willing to accept trade-offs and values fun and adventure above comfort, you’ll probably love a Wrangler.

The downsides are known and obvious. Also, who gives a shit about them? Wrangler ownership is awesome. Buy one, take it out into the wild, breathe some fresh air, and savor life.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
After reading some of the later posts here, I am reminded of a couple of items that may help.

First mod I bought was a dead pedal (the MORE one). Used to having 1 in all the Toyotas I've owned, now I can't drive without it. Some are a real PITA to install, the Quadratec one looks pretty easy to install.

About 1.5 years of ownership I got the Desert Does It front seat jackers (for both driver & passenger), made a BIG difference to me. Otherwise I have no problems on a 6+ hour drive with it. Haven't had a longer trip, yet...
And I'm 55yo with a destroyed body from my profession & 5 years of the Marines before my current career.

Those on here who say they ride & drive like crap I guess have never driven a deuce & a half or farm truck. I think my JLUR is the best riding, nicest vehicle I've ever owned. :like:

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Keep in mind, people posting have different types of Wranglers from different years. The Sahara has the most plush feeling suspension compared to other trims. The new steering box that you'll get in your model year will be a vast improvement over what the JL started with for on-center play. The longer wheelbase of the four door should provide a more stable feel at higher speeds. The plugin hybrid should give you better fuel economy than any comparable vehicle with a gas or diesel powertrain under most circumstances.
Sponsored