OP

m.cami

First Name
Cami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
' 23 Sahara 4xe
I had a friend text me the other day "Hey test driving a new wrangler and it has the worst riding and steering I have ever felt"

I replied "not everyone should buy a Jeep, you need to look at something else" :LOL:

I think you will get tons of opinions on quality, not only with Jeep but most brands, Look at Ford they are a mess.

If you go in wanting something that can go anywhere, as said above take the top off, and is fun to drive, then the Jeep may be for you. I have tried to not own a Jeep and keep coming back, its an addiction at this point.
We test drove one around DC's beltway and through neighborhoods to get a feel of the handling and the steering. I had a lot of fun and was surprised it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Got my first jeep in July, a ‘22 rubicon 4xe.

Taking the doors off
Taking the top off
Going off road

These are THE only reasons to buy a wrangler.

Every single thing about the wrangler is compromised in some way to be able to do these 3 things.

If you’re not going to do atleast one of them on a regular basis then you shouldn’t get one as it’s just a shitty box that looks cool.

You just ordered an off-road buggy that has some creature comforts for the road.

Most enjoyable vehicle experiences I’ve ever had
1)gsxr-600, every second of it
2)off roading with doors off/roof off in EV mode in my 4xe
3)wringing out all sort of old and new sports cars

Deleted member 59498

We test drove one around DC's beltway and through neighborhoods to get a feel of the handling and the steering. I had a lot of fun and was surprised it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
Mine drives like any other car or truck I have owned. Sure it is stiff on bumps but that is expected, but my steering is solid. Maybe I got one of few that steer just fine but so did my 20 JL and 14 JK Wrangler etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

m.cami

First Name
Cami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
' 23 Sahara 4xe
Lots of good advice here & it is easy to spot. For me my JLUR is a lot more comfortable than my 1990 Toyota 4x4, about the same as my wife's 2007 Highlander & about the same as my daughter's 2015 Toyota Sienna. So, unless you are coming from a real luxurious minivan, I think you will be fine.

As mentioned, it is a solid front axle, so when it comes to steering it is different. Just try not to over correct & get in a fight with it. Hold your line & anticipate & evenly correct the steering.

So, when you pick up your Sahara, very first thing, make sure ALL the fuses under the hood are pushed in nice & solid. Don't go by looks, push them in, you will be surprised that some will actually click in place. Then let air out of the tires to 37 psi, they will probably be around 45+psi for transportation, this will make steering easier & the ride more comfortable.

When you get home...
If you or spouse, or family member or good friend knows how to wrench, make sure ALL the suspension components are good & tight, nothing loose.

Do this & you shouldn't really have any problems. Plus it will make it easier to diagnose any problems you may have down the road.

Lastly, the bug to modify is an evil one. Once you start though it is hard to stop. It is easy to make it your own & there are a ton of aftermarket parts available. From neat interior items to lifts, tires, & everything in between.

Have fun, as you will now have the COOL ride. My kids & grandkids love my Jeep.
:rock:
Super great advice! Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice! I've been taking lots of notes.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The worst part is they ride like crap and are somewhat loud.

Best part is they can be modified more than any other vehicle that I can think of.
Guess it depends what you're used to, I've been driving rough riding vehicles for 45+ years so the Wranglers are pretty plush in comparison. Comparing one of these JLs to my 74 CJ5 w/ stiff Rancho leaf springs is like a laying on a top of the line pillow top mattress vs. a thin slab of foam at summer camp :) And yeah, the wind noise and overall cabin noise can be a bit much, but just turning up the volume on your jams can help w/ that :)

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Jeeps look and drive great and make you feel good. Modify it properly and it will remain good and look even better. Modify it poorly by overlifting it and run way oversize tires, it will react negatively to the destruction of the suspension geometry and sudden undergearing. No more no less.

Sponsored

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Question about you saying “sweet ass minivan” ??? I never heard that said by anyone who drives a Jeep. Someone is about see the world from a new perspective.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nope, no better than 7th place. We bought #4 for our 16 year old daughter last year, and it is a GREAT little car that is fun to drive with its manual transmission. Honestly, it's amazing how well equipped it is for the money.

1. 2023 Mitsubishi Mirage ES: $17,600

2. 2023 Kia Rio LX: $17,645

3. 2022 Hyundai Accent SE: $17,740

4. 2023 Nissan Versa S: $18,425

5. 2023 Kia Forte LX: $20,585

6. 2023 Hyundai Venue SE: $20,795

7. 2022 Nissan Sentra S: $21,045
Clearly the article I read was wrong, but I still wouldn’t trade my Jeep for 3 Versas, so my point about “overpriced” remains the same.

OP
OP

m.cami

First Name
Cami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
' 23 Sahara 4xe
Question about you saying “sweet ass minivan” ??? I never heard that said by anyone who drives a Jeep. Someone is about see the world from a new perspective.
That was typed tongue in cheek :). But in all seriousness, it was great to have with little ones. We’ve just aged out of that phase of life. The Jeep is my prize for getting these kids through high school

Last edited:

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I've been trying to boil this down to the most essential factors and am left with this.

We buy things that will make us happy (or maybe less unhappy for some things.)

A Wrangler isn't the most reliable, smooth riding, energy efficient value out there. And Consumer Report's low rating of it isn't a product of simply their incompetence at how they rate things, but rather a question, particularly with the Wrangler, of whether they've considered the right things to rate to gauge owner happiness.

Sure, nobody's even been happy to pay for dealer service or fuel, but it almost seems like nobody at Consumer Reports ever took the top off and felt the sun and wind on their face and said, "man, this makes me happy and somehow we should quantify this experience, that we get with so few other vehicles, into the overall allure of the Wrangler."

Warts and all, Wranglers make people happy, more happy perhaps than other vehicles which rate higher in the more mundane and utilitarian things that Consumer Reports chooses to rate, and that apply to most other vehicles.
Sponsored