OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
I'd use the bigger Currie 1" rear bar and use a front sway loc
pretty sure i'm going to end up needing to change the springs out in the CO's, so if i do will definitely move up to the bigger bar at that time
Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Getting ready for Rubicon at the end of July, and a few more items left to go on beforehand...

-Adding a Goose Gear tailgate trail table
-Adding an 8 circuit SPOD Bantam X HD as the next item out strips my upfitter switch allocation. Going to try the CMM driver grab bar mod that allows me to mount it to the left of the steering wheel (some day Genesis will get the 2nd battery for the JLURD and this also sets me up for that later)
-Moving the winch onto the SPOD
-Moving the ARB dual compressor onto the SPOD
-Moving the Rigid shorty F light bar onto the SPOD
-Moving the Rigid reverse lights onto the SPOD
-Adding a pair of KC FlexEra 4 combos on the A pillars (requires two circuits)

Aside from that, everything is pretty much set for the run. I should have a much better feeling for where i am after driving to CA, doing the Rubicon, and then driving home.

Other things on the list for final consideration:
-Rigid cyclone amber rock light set (6 pack)
-Rigid amber chase lights (2 pack)
-RCV rear axle set

I need to see how things go first before doing anything else major...

Last edited:
OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
so the shop is finishing up the last list of mods before we head to the Jeep Jamboree, and it looks like i already have some suspension problems. the trackbar that came with the Evo suspension is already "broken" and needs to be replaced. apparently my rig is the third JL that has some flavor of the Evo kit with their trackbar that this has happened on. even worse, it sounds like Evo is not supporting their customers and replacing the units.

so I'm now adding these two items to fix that problem and hope this is not indicative of the quality i can expect from Evo / King on this insanely expensive suspension:

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-hd-adjustable-front-track-bar.html?category_id=4981

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html

on the shaft brace, i see that metalcloak just released one of these kits as well - so i'm guessing this is a known weakness on the JL's that everyone is jumping in on now.

something for others to be aware of and plan for on your builds and is a cheap addition to your suspension as you do it.

hope this helps

Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Finally have a moment to catch up after running the Rubicon last weekend and wanted to share the after action report.

So first things first, the Rubicon was/is harder now than it was when i did it last time in my JKUR. As 40's appear to have become the new 37's the trail is changing accordingly and the emphasis on good spotters and better lines is much more important.

So top three positives on the build -

• Suspension worked very well, no issues and it handled getting beat up like a champ
  • Ran tires at 10 PSI, and as usual the BFG MT's + Hutchinson beadlocks had no issues on the rocks
  • The diesel does exactly what i want it to, dream to drive on the freeway, and in 4l it crawls everything / anything with no problems

Top things i wish i had done differently / need to fix -

• Should have started with 39's or legit 38's (vs BFG 37's which are likely closer to 36's) as i needed the extra height as i am HEAVY on this build
  • I need to see if I can shoehorn a PSC hydraulic steering system in the engine bay. It was literally impossible to turn when in 4l on the rocks (and even worse with front lockers on)
  • The AFE exhaust i chose was a bad decision as i pinched it 60% of the way shut (no surprise based on how far it sticks out). This pinch cost me 2mpg on the way home, which sucks with $7/gallon diesel in CA
  • On the exit out of Rubicon springs heading into Cadillac hill (which is likely 25+ degrees vertical) the diesel "hiccuped" and i lost all momentum. Not exactly sure what that was and it has only happened once, but that would really suck if it happened somewhere i cant stop.

The diesel fill problem was a major PITA on a 2k mi road trip, so it's going back into the dealership for that and i suspect they will replace the entire gas tank this time.

All in all, this thing is a beast and I'm really close to being "done" on it. Overall, i would give it a B+ as the issues i had are of my own making - not that anything broke.

Hope this helps others as they navigate their JLURD builds
D

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Finally have a moment to catch up after running the Rubicon last weekend and wanted to share the after action report.

So first things first, the Rubicon was/is harder now than it was when i did it last time in my JKUR. As 40's appear to have become the new 37's the trail is changing accordingly and the emphasis on good spotters and better lines is much more important.

• Suspension worked very well, no issues and it handled getting beat up like a champ
  • Ran tires at 10 PSI, and as usual the BFG MT's + Hutchinson beadlocks had no issues on the rocks
  • The diesel does exactly what i want it to, dream to drive on the freeway, and in 4l it crawls everything / anything with no problems

• Should have started with 39's or legit 38's (vs BFG 37's which are likely closer to 36's) as i needed the extra height as i am HEAVY on this build
  • I need to see if I can shoehorn a PSC hydraulic steering system in the engine bay. It was literally impossible to turn when in 4l on the rocks (and even worse with front lockers on)
  • The AFE exhaust i chose was a bad decision as i pinched it 60% of the way shut (no surprise based on how far it sticks out). This pinch cost me 2mpg on the way home, which sucks with $7/gallon diesel in CA
  • On the exit out of Rubicon springs heading into Cadillac hill (which is likely 25+ degrees vertical) the diesel "hiccuped" and i lost all momentum. Not exactly sure what that was and it has only happened once, but that would really suck if it happened somewhere i cant stop.

The diesel fill problem was a major PITA on a 2k mi road trip, so it's going back into the dealership for that and i suspect they will replace the entire gas tank this time.

All in all, this thing is a beast and I'm really close to being "done" on it. Overall, i would give it a B+ as the issues i had are of my own making - not that anything broke.

D
Nice write up, I am running most of the parts you are also. Let me know how that muffler delete works. I was suppose to go up there like 4 weeks back and as always something comes up and I had to cancel.

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Nice write up, I am running most of the parts you are also. Let me know how that muffler delete works. I was suppose to go up there like 4 weeks back and as always something comes up and I had to cancel.
thanks RM.

will do on the muffler, unfortunately AFE is backed up on orders due to supply chain problems - so no ETA on when the new one might show up.

we had a great time, and you will too when you get through and are taking the obligatory poser shots on observation hill. we all felt like we did something getting through in one piece.

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Next phase of the build incoming...

Rig is going in again in 2 weeks, and here is what we are doing this time:

*please make sure you check with PSC before purchasing, there is a LOT of fine print on fitment here
**not sure how much custom work they are going to have to do on this to make the ARB drawer (https://arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/storage-solutions/) system work as i don't want need the setup the way GG does it

I also want to find some sort of lighting for the cargo area so i have some light when cooking or getting stuff ready as we start to camp more. Any feedback here appreciated!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD

D
Update on the diesel fill problem, took rig back into dealership Mon of last week and they confirmed i need a full tank replacement. Been waiting ever since them to find a tank in their parts network and get it to them for replacement.

Global supply chain is awesome....

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Adding a few more left over items as the build process is extending:
  • Going to try and replicate what Brad at Trail Recon did and put two KC Cyclone V2's into the tailgate window hinges as chase lights to complement the larger Rigid chase light (https://www.rigidindustries.com/chase-amber-90122.html)
  • Finally going to get my comms sorted and get a Midland MX575 GMRS installed in the rig, then add hard mount + antennae on the hood as most of the serious folks seems to like this setup
Going to bag the whole Goose Gear thing for now as i can't find anyone here in AZ who wants to do the work and i don't have time to do it myself.

After that, it's wheeling season here and time to get out and use this thing!

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Drick, have you had your JLURD on a scale since all the installs? I would be interested to see what it weighs with your list of mods...especially drive and steer axle weights.

Thanks...

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Drick, have you had your JLURD on a scale since all the installs? I would be interested to see what it weighs with your list of mods...especially drive and steer axle weights.

Thanks...
no, and I'm overdue to do so.

as you can probably glean, it has spent around 50% of it's time in one shop or another since i've purchased it...

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
no, and I'm overdue to do so.

as you can probably glean, it has spent around 50% of it's time in one shop or another since i've purchased it...
Yeah, sounds like it, but price you pay shop time and money .... or garage time (your time) and money to build a jeep that works right. Reason I ask about weight is as I have been working on my JLURD weight continues to raise its head as a concern. Comes about 450lbs heavier than a 3.6 and has all the same brakes, axles, etc. If I had to guess I would bet you are between 5900 and 6300 without passengers / cargo. I have talked to a few suspension companies who just refuse to believe weights like that for a jeep.
Sponsored