Service shifter required after battery disconnect

Vfalconi

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2019
I had to disconnect the battery in order to start another vehicle. When battery was disconnected a noise came out from fuse box.

When battery was connected again the noise stopped. I started the Jeep and the transmission lever remained locked in P position.

I noticed the message on dash: Service Shifter.

i disconnected the battery a couple time to “reset the error” waiting for 10-20 minutes by Time but nothing change.

with closed door I noticed the red dot flashing on dash, this indicate an electrical failure…

Any suggestion/idea?

DEC05794-A1E8-43A1-96E9-6E8ABCBF3F8C.jpeg
Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
If you have two batteries, did you disconnect both? How did you disconnect the main battery?

OP
OP
Vfalconi

Vfalconi

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2019
I just disconnected the main battery directly from the terminals. I think the noise was caused by the auxiliary battery

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite
I just disconnected the main battery directly from the terminals. I think the noise was caused by the auxiliary battery
Did you get your resolution to this? I might have the same problem on my brand new 2023 JLU. Service shifter, the parking shifter lock keeps clicking on and off when i hold the brake, and when i finally got it into gear I have no power steering. I just installed new taillights and my winch yesterday, but it drove fine afterwards. Then this morning, same thing. If it is because the second battery wasn't disconnected, I probably did the same thing because I just disconnected both terminals on the main.

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you let the positive cable touch ground, it would blow the high amp fuse to the small battery. The battery will still power the electronics, but it is no longer getting a charge from the alternator and will eventually cause the car to die.

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite
If you let the positive cable touch ground, it would blow the high amp fuse to the small battery. The battery will still power the electronics, but it is no longer getting a charge from the alternator and will eventually cause the car to die.
Definitely didn't let that happen. But dealer is telling me now that if it's not covered under warranty that I'm gonna be on the hook for maybe $1100 in diagnostic fees. Utter bullshit to say that with no evidence I caused anything and they haven't even determined the problem yet. I'm livid right now.

Edit: also, to note, the problem appears gone this morning, besides the check engine light remaining.
Sponsored