First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S- Sting Gray
Occupation
Information Technology
This is what the dealer did for my Jeep. So far I haven’t had any issues. Hopefully this could help others.

F96EF277-F797-487C-8E2E-A42B7087E777.jpeg
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am now having this issue as well. Loss of power steering, CEL, and service shifter. 16,000 miles. Checked fuses, dealer replaced aux battery, no luck. I guess I’ll take it back in and hope for a resolution.
Hi Taylor,
Please feel free to reach out to us if you need any additional assistance throughout your dealer visit.
Alex
JeepCares

CapitanBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Okay, my Jeep was fixed and I drove around 600km in total (100km on snowy, slippery roads).
All seem to be good so far... i still belive Jeep is responsible and have to reimburse for my towing expenses...

FCA Canada employee said - "it was your choice to go off-road with our vehicle" ....WTF, FCA? It's Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - not a Fiat Panda!
Jeep Web site says

upload_2020-1-20_11-47-48.png

vince-reloaded

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2018
Hi guys,

i have a JLUR 2018. Bought it in January 2019. I live in the UK, so I have a RH car.
On the 10th of December 2019, I experienced my first incident. The car started to show the “service Shifter” message and then everything went through the roof: I lost the power steering and every possible message was displayed on the dash.
I was driving to work and entering a small village, slowing down before a round about. Just like in the initial post... this happens right after using the brakes and “service shifter” was the first message to show up on the dash board ...
believe me, going in a round about at 20mph and losing the power steering is quite annoying!!!

I managed to reach the road side and stopped the car. Restarted it and appart from an “engine” warning the car was fine! Not me!!! Losing control of the steering is a pretty shocking experience!!!

I drove to work and then to the garage later on that day.
The dealers, SIMON STONE, in Bristol looked at the car, the next day, and found nothing. They just topped up the steering fluid in the steering pump and gave me the car back.

On the 22nd of December, same issue! I was lucky that I was already afraid of the car’s behavior. I was on the left lane and when the service shifter showed on the dashboard, I grabbed my phone and started to film.

Power steering failure, speedometer going crazy, all possible messages displayed, etc...

I pulled over stopped and restarted the car. Went to work and tried to parked the car... Each and every time I was pushing on the brake pedal the car would lose its power steering... try to park a car without P/S or brakes... good luck!!!

Called Jeep Road side assurance this time.
After 6 hours, the flatbed truck arrived and took the car to the dealer in Bristol.

well, if you thing you’re unlucky with your car , keep on reading!!

The dealer started to work on the car and right after Christmas gave me a call to let me know that they were “shutting down” and that my car would get transferred to another dealer but could not tell me which one!! End of call!!!

On the 10th of January 2020, after 2 weeks without News from any dealer, I called Jeep Customer service and explained the whole story.

It took them 7 days to find my car back. It was still sitting in Simon Stone’s building, but the building was now under liquidation and Jeep asked me to deal with the liquidator to retrieve my car.

I did so and discovered that my car was partially disassembled and therefore not drivable.
So I asked Jeep to take care of the transfer to another dealership... but because my car had already been towed to this dealer, the procedure would not allow them to tow the car to another dealer for the same problem!!!! Welcome to my nightmare.

After a few trial to have the car towed from Simon Stone to Swindon, I asked for some help from the Swindon dealer.

It took more than a week to get the transfer organized but the car finally got there.

On the 25th of January 2020, the car was investigated by Johnsons in Swindon. I send them the videos and they took the case very seriously.

On Friday, the 14th of February, they called me to retrieved the car and told me that we’re happy with the fix they came up with, working with Jeep Engineers.

So, I took the car and drove back to Bristol, where I parked it, for the WE.
On Monday the 17th, I drove to Bristol airport and while getting into a steep slope I started to brake and...tadaaaa!!! Service shifter is back!!!

Grabbed the phone, started filming, got it on camera, stopped immediately before loosing P/S, restarted the car, drove at 20mph, got home, parked the car, Called Jeep road side assistance...

Back to square one... car is in the garage with Johnson Jeep dealer since yesterday...

in total, my car has been sitting in a garage for 60 days, in the last 70 days!!!

i have had to take a day off to deal with the transfer of my car between the dead dealer and Swindon, I have spent hours and hours on the phone trying to make road side assistance communicate with Jeep customer care because road side assistance is completely outsourced...etc etc...
Useless to say that my “customer experience “ has not been great so far...

I am curious to see if Jeep care will answer my post with a “sorry to hear that”...

Guys we are driving in cars that are not Safe to drive... it is not just a small electrical problem, we all have been lucky so far that we did not have this issue with people in front of us when losing the steering in a turn!!!

this is absolutely outrageous that Jeep does not react to such dangerous situation!!!

as for the fix, I hope they will come with a proper SOLUTION!!!!

and I’d be delighted if an FCA representative would contact me to offer to switch the car with a more recent generation!
For a £50k car this is pretty bad quality!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL rubicon
I think i have a solution. I have a 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon with only 17K miles. Back in Dec 2019 while driving my check engine light came on followed by "service shifter" warning followed by "sway bar disconnect" warning "air bag fault" warning and a bunch of other ones. Then I lost power steering. After turning the car off and then on again, everything worked fine apart from the check engine light staying on. I managed to get the car home then in the morning dropped it off at my Jeep dealer. To cut a long story short and after numerous trips back to the dealer between Dec 2019 and Feb2020 and after they had installed new sensors and a new battery, finally the Tech guy installed what he called a "flight recorder" to my computer in the car. He then took the car home for the weekend and the problem happened again. This time the "flight recorder" told him where the problem was coming from. At the front of the car just below the grill and behind the front bumper, there is a wire harness. This harness contains a bunch of wires for things like power steering, airbag, sway bar". My harness had been rubbing up against the AC compressor and had worn a hole exposing some wires. When the wire touched the AC compressor it shorted out. This could happen then driving and the wind would push it against the AC or if it was raining and water dripped down between the harness and AC. He pushed it against the AC to show me and all the same warnings came on the dash. SO he repaired the damaged harness and relocated it so that it couldn't touch the AC anymore. Since then (not wanting to jinx anything) I have had zero issues. I hope this helps another Jeep JL owner who has the same problem. Good Luck.

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I think i have a solution. I have a 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon with only 17K miles. Back in Dec 2019 while driving my check engine light came on followed by "service shifter" warning followed by "sway bar disconnect" warning "air bag fault" warning and a bunch of other ones. Then I lost power steering. After turning the car off and then on again, everything worked fine apart from the check engine light staying on. I managed to get the car home then in the morning dropped it off at my Jeep dealer. To cut a long story short and after numerous trips back to the dealer between Dec 2019 and Feb2020 and after they had installed new sensors and a new battery, finally the Tech guy installed what he called a "flight recorder" to my computer in the car. He then took the car home for the weekend and the problem happened again. This time the "flight recorder" told him where the problem was coming from. At the front of the car just below the grill and behind the front bumper, there is a wire harness. This harness contains a bunch of wires for things like power steering, airbag, sway bar". My harness had been rubbing up against the AC compressor and had worn a hole exposing some wires. When the wire touched the AC compressor it shorted out. This could happen then driving and the wind would push it against the AC or if it was raining and water dripped down between the harness and AC. He pushed it against the AC to show me and all the same warnings came on the dash. SO he repaired the damaged harness and relocated it so that it couldn't touch the AC anymore. Since then (not wanting to jinx anything) I have had zero issues. I hope this helps another Jeep JL owner who has the same problem. Good Luck.

I had a similar issue to this one this week. Jeep told me my wiring harness was rubbing and causing a short. They replaced that section of the harness and rerouted it to prevent it from happening again. Based on others experiences this seems to be the issue. My Jeep is back to normal but its only been 1 day. Time will tell. Hopefully this is the issue, but it sound totally electrical and would make sense this is the cause. Best of luck with anyone experiencing this in the future

Mnsparreno

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S- Sting Gray
Occupation
Information Technology
Hey Guys,

I posted what my local dealership did to my Jeep when I was having “Service Shifter” issues on January 16th. So far no issues to report and I think it’s safe to say it’s gone. Maybe you can show the picture to your local dealer and get it fixed.

starzbullies

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Retired
Hey Guys,

I posted what my local dealership did to my Jeep when I was having “Service Shifter” issues on January 16th. So far no issues to report and I think it’s safe to say it’s gone. Maybe you can show the picture to your local dealer and get it fixed.
I've been following this thread for some time now. Several people have successfully had their issue resolved. It appears that it's not a single wire or wiring harness that fails. However, it seems to always be a wire or harness that has been pinched or chaffs and rubs against something causing a service shifter and random faults. In my case, it was a plug that had several pins pushed back and weren't making a good connection. Just wanted to give my observation to try and help so people aren't thinking it's a single wire or component causing this issue.

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I agree with Starzbullies. It is due to a wiring issue, but it can likely happen in different ways. I think the issue i had is probably the most common. It has to do with the wires rubbing down near the sway bar disconnect and I think its is while you are turning the wheel. That is the area that I believe is the culprit. They didnt show me the exact area of the harness the replaced and where they rerouted it, but that is what the fix was. I have had the Jeep back and issue free for about 20 days.... So far so good :)

Sponsored

vince-reloaded

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2018
I've been following this thread for some time now. Several people have successfully had their issue resolved. It appears that it's not a single wire or wiring harness that fails. However, it seems to always be a wire or harness that has been pinched or chaffs and rubs against something causing a service shifter and random faults. In my case, it was a plug that had several pins pushed back and weren't making a good connection. Just wanted to give my observation to try and help so people aren't thinking it's a single wire or component causing this issue.
hi Guys,

I have posted a long story about my JLUR here... and my problem has been found. Same issue other are having, a harness was rubbing on the chassis near the radiator at the front of the car, under the skid plate... it looks like Jeep is building up a good database of places to look at from various cases around the world!!! Jeep engineers have been very helpful with the garage, asking to check several places and Bingo!!! They found the faulty harness...
They then changed it and relocated it to avoid any rubbing in the futur!
so far, all good... I didn’t drive too much because I got my Jeep back a week before the cov19 lockdown... but I drove something like 200 km without any issue...

Fingers crossed!!!

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
hi Guys,

I have posted a long story about my JLUR here... and my problem has been found. Same issue other are having, a harness was rubbing on the chassis near the radiator at the front of the car, under the skid plate... it looks like Jeep is building up a good database of places to look at from various cases around the world!!! Jeep engineers have been very helpful with the garage, asking to check several places and Bingo!!! They found the faulty harness...
They then changed it and relocated it to avoid any rubbing in the futur!
so far, all good... I didn’t drive too much because I got my Jeep back a week before the cov19 lockdown... but I drove something like 200 km without any issue...

Fingers crossed!!!
I am currently having this issue. I made a left turn in my Jeep the Check Engine Light came on - then a few seconds later the Service Shifter, followed by swaybar disconnect, air bag lights, speedometer going crazy, lost my power steering. Had it towed to dealer. Explained to them what to look for from this forum. They explained to me that they only had level one techs so if it got too complicated it would need to go to another Service Department at another Jeep dealer. They basically followed that Star article above about reseating plugs and apply electrical grease. Service manager took it for a drive and didn't make it 2 miles before it occurred again. I have a case going with Jeep Cares. I am going to try to get it to another Jeep dealer today. I am printing out the solutions from this board describing the wire harness chafing so hopefully that will be heard by this next service department. My jeep is a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It not has 40k miles thus why I contacted Jeep Cares since out of warranty. This appears to be a common issue with Rubicon's and I really think jeep should put out a TSB on this issue. People are spending lots of time trying to resolve this and there seems to be a reasonable fix.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am currently having this issue. I made a left turn in my Jeep the Check Engine Light came on - then a few seconds later the Service Shifter, followed by swaybar disconnect, air bag lights, speedometer going crazy, lost my power steering. Had it towed to dealer. Explained to them what to look for from this forum. They explained to me that they only had level one techs so if it got too complicated it would need to go to another Service Department at another Jeep dealer. They basically followed that Star article above about reseating plugs and apply electrical grease. Service manager took it for a drive and didn't make it 2 miles before it occurred again. I have a case going with Jeep Cares. I am going to try to get it to another Jeep dealer today. I am printing out the solutions from this board describing the wire harness chafing so hopefully that will be heard by this next service department. My jeep is a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It not has 40k miles thus why I contacted Jeep Cares since out of warranty. This appears to be a common issue with Rubicon's and I really think jeep should put out a TSB on this issue. People are spending lots of time trying to resolve this and there seems to be a reasonable fix.
Have you verified that all of the relays and fuses are seated all the way in? Others have reported that similar symptoms were fixed after finding loose connections, even after bringing it to the dealer, who didn’t check.

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Have you verified that all of the relays and fuses are seated all the way in? Others have reported that similar symptoms were fixed after finding loose connections, even after bringing it to the dealer, who didn’t check.
It at the dealer now - will mention that to them as well.

2020Decepticon

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
2020 Wrangler Jeep Unlimted Sport

ISSUE:
On or about the 2nd week of January 2021 I went out to my 2020 Jeep to start it. The weather was clear and the temp was about 20 degrees Farenheight. Upon starting the jeep the “service shifter” message appeared on the dash. Along with the check engine light. I attempted to put the car in D and it would not move. I tried it a 2nd time and it moved to the D position.

I then drove the vehicle for about 10 minutes. And the power steering stopped working. When I reached my destination. I shut the vehicle off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I started the vehicle and the power steering was operational. The check engine light was still on. I drove the vehicle for about 2-3 days and the check engine light reset and went out.

About 2-3 days later on 2/3/21 I went to start my vehicle after it had sat in my driveway over-night. The temperature was about 20 degrees. I activated my remote start and the vehicle did not respond/start. I went out to the vehicle and got into it and tried to start it. I pushed the start button. All the electrical inside came on with no problem. But the vehicle would not start. At this point I began to figure out what might be the problem. I’ve only had the Jeep for a little over a year. The battery should still be good. I then remembered that on my way home on the previous day. I stopped to get a car was. I thought to myself, maybe something froze after being exposed to water. But I quickly ruled that out due to the fact that if water was causing a short. It would have been an issues in the car wash. I then got creative. I figured maybe it was the cold temps that were to blame.

So, I got a hair dryer and put it in the engine compartment for about 15 minutes. The Jeep started up. I began to drive. About 10 miles into my trip. The power steering gave out again. I had to exit the freeway. I stopped and turned off the vehicle and started it. The power steering was back working again.

After I got to my destination. I called the dealer (Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Jeep) and advised of the problem. They had me bring the Jeep in. The service rep I spoke with said the battery was looked at and gave the message “Good/needs charged”. He then proceeded to tell me that because I have some extra wires connected to my battery for some LED lighting and a light bar. That was probably the reason for the issue. This did not sound to me like a valid issue for the problem. I have been driving the jeep for over a year with no issue at all with the extra lighting and stereo accessories. This problem has never occurred up until now.

I drove it home from the dealer and parked it. On the morning of 2/4/2021. I started my Jeep with my remote start. With no problem. I drove about 20 miles and parked at about 6am.

At this point I began to do some research on the internet on different Jeep message boards. I was surprised to find out. This was not an isolated issue. Many other Jeep JL owners are experiencing the same issue. Some DO NOT have any extra “accessories” like my dealer attempted to point out.

In reading a lot of the almost carbon copy scenarios. Including multiple error codes just as I was shown by my service rep. Some of the Jeep owners had their Jeep JL at the dealer for weeks. Being disassembled trying to isolate the problem. Having techs sent out by Jeep (one was actually flown out to a dealer to look at the problem).

Needless to say many of the Jeep JL owners were very dissatisfied with the problem.

But, I was able to learn that one problem was surfacing in many of the cases that were solved. It ended up being a wire or part of the factory wire harness down inside the engine compartment that was found to be rubbing, wearing away the outer coating/covering of a wire or wires. Causing a short. The wearing sound very legit. And would explain why the problem took time to show itself. Hitting bumps or wind causing the wire to wear over time when repeatedly rubbing or bumping in the same spot.

At this point, I knew there was a serious issue. And this had nothing to do with adding some LED lighting and a few other accessories.

I decided to call Jeep customer service. Just as many of the other Jeep owners with the same problem have done. I explained to the rep what was going on. He opened a case for me. (case #78413902). While speaking with him I had to go out to my Jeep to get the VIN# for the case. And I figured while I was out there. I figured I’d start my Jeep……and yep, electrical came on. But wouldn’t turn over.

20210110_181613.jpg
Sponsored