Sponsored

"Service Shifter" Msg (CAN C Bus errors) - Fixes and parts changed

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There are a few threads on the "Service Sifter" msg and some related CAN C (high speed) Bus errors, but none of them has a fix or list of parts changed to fix or dealer service record.

If you have had the "Service Shifter" issue or other error messages (ABS system error, Stability control not available error, etc) and have a fix, please post what the fix is, preferably with a list of parts changed and/or picture of service record. All these modules are connected via the high speed CAN C bus, and there will typically be multiple codes.

If you have pictures of suspected/actual affected areas, please post - e.g. some people indicated a faulty/rubbing wiring harness near right front tire, others a pinched harness under shifter housing.

Many have indicated no resolution from dealer to date - it would be good to know what was tired.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My story to-date. At around 5,400 miles (last week) I started getting the "Service Shifter" msg. A beep followed by the message on the center information display. But all functions were still normal. the frequency increased from every other day, to once-day, to multiple times per drive (Ëś30 min of driving in between messages).

On one occasion, the message was followed bu multiple additional warnings (such as stability control not available, etc). It cleared on restart. Again, all functions still normal.

What I have tried:
1 - Checked voltage/charging - all normal voltage Ëś13.5V
2 - Check fuses properly seated - yes.
3 - Visually inspected visible harnesses/connectors - all looked fine.
4 - Unplugged all devices - iPhones, etc (I know - silly but just in case).
5 - Next steps - disconnect Tazer, inspect easy to reach harnesses/connectors, appointment with dealer in 4 days (earliest available).

If anyone has any other suggestion of what to look for/try, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My story to-date. At around 5,400 miles (last week) I started getting the "Service Shifter" msg. A beep followed by the message on the center information display. But all functions were still normal. the frequency increased from every other day, to once-day, to multiple times per drive (Ëś30 min of driving in between messages).

On one occasion, the message was followed bu multiple additional warnings (such as stability control not available, etc). It cleared on restart. Again, all functions still normal.

What I have tried:
1 - Checked voltage/charging - all normal voltage Ëś13.5V
2 - Check fuses properly seated - yes.
3 - Visually inspected visible harnesses/connectors - all looked fine.
4 - Unplugged all devices - iPhones, etc (I know - silly but just in case).
5 - Next steps - disconnect Tazer, inspect easy to reach harnesses/connectors, appointment with dealer in 4 days (earliest available).

If anyone has any other suggestion of what to look for/try, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last time I heard this happen , it was the guys auxiliary battery taking a shit. Don’t know if you have the two battery setup or not. Also have you tried unhooking the battery for 5 -10 minutes to reboot the system. And if you do have the aux battery you have to separate the ground cables to completely shut it down.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Last time I heard this happen , it was the guys auxiliary battery taking a shit. Don’t know if you have the two battery setup or not. Also have you tried unhooking the battery for 5 -10 minutes to reboot the system. And if you do have the aux battery you have to separate the ground cables to completely shut it down.
I do have both batteries. And no, I have not done that, but I have enabled engine-start-stop and it operates normally. So I think both batteries have good voltage.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do have both batteries. And no, I have not done that, but I have enabled engine-start-stop and it operates normally. So I think both batteries have good voltage.
His did too..... 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been getting “service 4WD system” here and there. It stays on until I shut down and then the computer I guess resets. Then it either comes back or stays away for a week or two. I wonder if it’s the secondary battery too.
What sucks is I like to use regular cruise control to avoid tickets. It won’t work while in this mode.

spaceparents

First Name
Suzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
There are several out there and a known star ticket issue with jeep. Mine has been in the shop since May waiting on a new harness (part 68413051AF). For many it looks like an aux battery issue as it seems to create a short from the harness and that draws down the battery which causes the computers to act up. Here is another good thread on the topic to see if that matches your issues : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/service-shifter-power-steering.32670/page-3

Mine started where the dash started flashing warning signs, then the steering locked up and shifter wouldn't work. Was able to pull it over and very thankful as I was on the highway going 75+. I have another friend who had it happen a few months prior and fried her battery and ruined the computer. When mine was in the shop they could recreate the issue when wiggling this harness as well and found the star ticket. The harness is on back order so it's been frustrating and finally got the part so let's hope this corrects the issues. I have tried to escalate to jeep the importance of this known issue and safety concerns for others. It seems very common to hit around 15-18k miles if the threads are representative. Good luck!

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There are several out there and a known star ticket issue with jeep. Mine has been in the shop since May waiting on a new harness (part 68413051AF). For many it looks like an aux battery issue as it seems to create a short from the harness and that draws down the battery which causes the computers to act up. Here is another good thread on the topic to see if that matches your issues : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/service-shifter-power-steering.32670/page-3

Mine started where the dash started flashing warning signs, then the steering locked up and shifter wouldn't work. Was able to pull it over and very thankful as I was on the highway going 75+. I have another friend who had it happen a few months prior and fried her battery and ruined the computer. When mine was in the shop they could recreate the issue when wiggling this harness as well and found the star ticket. The harness is on back order so it's been frustrating and finally got the part so let's hope this corrects the issues. I have tried to escalate to jeep the importance of this known issue and safety concerns for others. It seems very common to hit around 15-18k miles if the threads are representative. Good luck!
Thank you for the detailed response? Have you created a NHTSA report? Mine so far hasn't created a hazardous situation, but had it shutdown or impeded steering when I got the warnings it would be a serious issue, as I too was on a highway with a lot of traffic all around me moving at Ëś75MPH.

RJsJLU

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0L
I'm just getting in to my new to me Jeep JLU 2.0 - had a 'service shifter' error yesterday, my 2nd time off road, shifting from 4Low to 4High - locked up the shifter, completely locked me out of Transfer and Transmission shifting. No drive, could not push vehicle. Dash alert read something like 'Pull over and stop safely'. Was pretty sure it was going to be flat bedded out!

Battery tab removal and few mins to allow the computers to reset got me moving again. Happened a second time exactly the same, both accompanied by a range of media center issues, missing icons in the Apps, frequent resets and random icons displayed.

Managed to get it home without issue in 2Hi after another battery tab removal and now waiting for a service appointment... Very frustrating in a 30k mile vehicle but exactly what I expected moving from a Toyota with similar miles and a ton of off-road to a Jeep... It's just amazing these vehicles can live up to their stereotypes! Loved the day out overall though - very impressed with the capability. I do enjoy the little splash screen for the off road pages saying 'Maybe lost but never stuck'.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm just getting in to my new to me Jeep JLU 2.0 - had a 'service shifter' error yesterday, my 2nd time off road, shifting from 4Low to 4High - locked up the shifter, completely locked me out of Transfer and Transmission shifting. No drive, could not push vehicle. Dash alert read something like 'Pull over and stop safely'. Was pretty sure it was going to be flat bedded out!

Battery tab removal and few mins to allow the computers to reset got me moving again. Happened a second time exactly the same, both accompanied by a range of media center issues, missing icons in the Apps, frequent resets and random icons displayed.

Managed to get it home without issue in 2Hi after another battery tab removal and now waiting for a service appointment... Very frustrating in a 30k mile vehicle but exactly what I expected moving from a Toyota with similar miles and a ton of off-road to a Jeep... It's just amazing these vehicles can live up to their stereotypes! Loved the day out overall though - very impressed with the capability. I do enjoy the little splash screen for the off road pages saying 'Maybe lost but never stuck'.
Sorry you too have the issue. Please post up what resolution or parts are replaced.

Mine has the issue at a bit over 5,000 miles on the ODO. So far has not left me stranded, but confidence in the vehicle has been seriously degraded.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My Jeep, with the "Service Shifter" issue, had the following DTC Codes:

U0432 - Invalid Data Received From Multi - Axis Acceleration Sensor Module
U0418 - Invalid Data Received From Brake System Control Module
U0168 - Lost Communication With Vehicle Security Control Module

Any one can make sense of them? (the last one may have showed up when I unmarried/removed the Tazer).

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well dealer cleared the codes, said no SW updates applied, sent the Jeep back to me saying if it happens again bring it back.

One thing I noticed is that after I removed the Tazer my battery voltage stays at at steady 14.0-14.1. Only dropping to 13.x briefly after a ESS cycle.

With the Tazer installed my voltage was around 13.5V steady state.

Is that normal? Anyone else noticed a drop in voltage with the Tazer installed?

I'm going to drive without the Tazer for a while to see if the "Service Shifter" message returns.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Problem recurred today. I put a scanner on the OBD port and pulled a bunch of codes (see attached)

The most relevant one seems to be:

Electronic Shifter Control Module
U0002-00: Can C Bus Off Performance: No Sub Type Information

Along with a few other Can C Bus errors.
Jeep Wrangler JL "Service Shifter" Msg (CAN C Bus errors) - Fixes and parts changed Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.24.30 PM

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Providing more details for future reference. Took code report to dealer, on the way there fault appeared twice. Spent time directly with the tech - he scanned it with me. We both agreed that my scan and his scan both show the fault.

Tech volunteered: "Yes, we have another one like this here. There is a C-clip in the harness either in front engine compartment or shifter that can come loose and cause shorts as vehicle moves". That was promising. Young tech, but seemed to have right attitude.

Left the Jeep, he said he would chase later in the day.

Jeep has a troubleshooting code for CAN C (high) bus faults (that is the high speed 500kbps bus). It has a 1.0hr allotment to:
- Diagnosis of this Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is accomplished via the vehicle symptom(s)
- Check for more codes
- Check for Faulty Control Module Control Module
- Check if harness is open or shorted
- Check Control Module circuit poor electrical connection

(if anyone has this problem and has questions, hit me up via message - I'm getting to know more about this than I ever wanted to know, even as an electrical engineer :))

Jeep Wrangler JL "Service Shifter" Msg (CAN C Bus errors) - Fixes and parts changed Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.29.27 AM

The reason sometimes the shifter message comes with all the other messages (e.g. anti-lock brake failure, etc) is that they are all on the same CAN BUS - see above.
Sponsored