Service shifter, ABS, Traction control and CAN C Bus problems

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ok so I’ve been fighting this problem with my Jeep where it will drive fine for a day and then the next day it is undriveable. Transmission is locked in park, getting 40 engine codes, ABS light, Traction control light, my gas gauge goes wild and I have no range listed. I do some grid road driving as I live out in the country. I just lost my warranty 4 months ago. I have a 2.5” lift on 35’s and a couple light bars but everything else is pretty much stock. Dealer quoted me a day at least of work to figure out the problem at $150 an hour and I can’t afford that so looking for some insight onto it if anyone else has had this problem or similar. So far I have reset the ecu with no fix, codes come and go. Batteries are at 12.5v which isn’t perfect condition but they seem to work fine. The grounds have been checked and gone over with di electric grease to protect them.

1B815B0F-971D-45F1-A565-B8CB4703A5D8.jpeg
Advertisement

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Original batteries? These problems are typical of failing battery or batteries.

Scott.B

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah is that original batteries still?

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 2 Door Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
CPA
What these guys said ^

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you in much better detail than anyone else on the forum, but your voltage and lights all point to BOTH of your batteries in need of replacement.

OP
OP

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Original batteries? These problems are typical of failing battery or batteries.
Battery is dated 08/19 and I purchased it used in March 2020

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon w/ Sky One-Touch
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the
Ok so I’ve been fighting this problem with my Jeep where it will drive fine for a day and then the next day it is undriveable. Transmission is locked in park, getting 40 engine codes, ABS light, Traction control light, my gas gauge goes wild and I have no range listed. I do some grid road driving as I live out in the country. I just lost my warranty 4 months ago. I have a 2.5” lift on 35’s and a couple light bars but everything else is pretty much stock. Dealer quoted me a day at least of work to figure out the problem at $150 an hour and I can’t afford that so looking for some insight onto it if anyone else has had this problem or similar. So far I have reset the ecu with no fix, codes come and go. Batteries are at 12.5v which isn’t perfect condition but they seem to work fine. The grounds have been checked and gone over with di electric grease to protect them.

1B815B0F-971D-45F1-A565-B8CB4703A5D8.jpeg

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the 2.0Turbo engine!

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw, the first time we lost power steering was Aug 26th while doing Poughkeepsie in Colorado on vacation. We had done Black Bear the previous day. But it ruined the following days of our vacation. Thank goodness we always trailer our Jeep now . Learned that lesson with my 2008, when my break line broke. Had to pinch it off to stop the leak. Finished jeeping the rest of the trip, but had to drive it all the way back to Oklahoma. Big Tex Trailer was bought shortly afterwards and they are trailered from now on! 😆

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What these guys said ^

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you in much better detail than anyone else on the forum, but your voltage and lights all point to BOTH of your batteries in need of replacement.
They told me it wasn’t my batteries, when mine did this.

OP
OP

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the 2.0Turbo engine!
I ended up finding out what the problem to mine was, it was my command start. I disconnected it and all my problems have went away and hasn’t come back in 2 weeks. I did some research on the starter that was installed ( bought the Jeep used I did not have it installed) and it is a starter made for Kia’s and it clearly was not installed properly (looks like a kid installed it) anyways that had fixed my problem. Best of luck with yours!

Advertisement

Boston Car Concierge

Advertisement