Sponsored

Service Rip Off? Yes in my opnoin what do you think:-)

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Rip Off? Yes in my opnoin what do you think:-) {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Rip Off? Yes in my opnoin what do you think:-) {filename}
No-no
Took the Sahara in to get the steering box replaced and I get this from the dealership. Jeep has less than 10000 miles it's been on the beach a few times still smells new! I was never asked and did not decline any set service.

Thank you for bringing your 2018 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited to our dealership.

As part of our commitment to your vehicle’s health, we’d like to follow up on the recommended service you declined. Please use this coupon and schedule a return appointment at your convenience so we can help keep your vehicle running as it should.
•​
Replace axle fluid, rear​
•​
Inspect/adjust parking brake​
•​
Replace axle fluid, front​
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like marketing crap.

It boggles my mind that Jeep dealers are trying to generate more service business when most of them are already bursting at the seams.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@78cj7-18lj
Replacing the differential gear oil in the front and rear axles is a recurring maintenance requirement, one that is necessary for the continued health of the driveline.

If it's not yet been done, and your now-3-year-old vehicle has almost 10K on the odometer, you might consider attending to this service, sooner rather than later.

It's an easy job, if you're of a mind to DIY.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
@78cj7-18lj
Replacing the differential gear oil in the front and rear axles is a recurring maintenance requirement, one that is necessary for the continued health of the driveline.

If it's not yet been done, and your now-3-year-old vehicle has almost 10K on the odometer, you might consider attending to this service, sooner rather than later.

Just an FYI for everyone. FCA recommends inspect front/rear fluid at 20,000 and 60,000. With replacement at 40,000 and 80,000 miles... Personally, I wouldn't replace it just yet (maybe next year at the 4 year mark) unless your beach outings include submerging the axles under water.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Just an FYI for everyone. FCA recommends inspect front/rear fluid at 20,000 and 60,000. With replacement at 40,000 and 80,000 miles... Personally, I wouldn't replace it just yet (maybe next year at the 4 year mark) unless your beach outings include submerging the axles under water.
if you offroad the jeep you should do it sooner than that. depends on how much you put the jeep through. i have lsd and am on 35s and take it to moderate trails frequently. i finally changed my diff oil at 16k and it was BLACK. going to change it much more frequently now.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I just received this message from the jeep dealership. I had the TSB for the steering box and used a oil change. The jeep has 17k miles on it. Are you serious, replace brake lining?
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Rip Off? Yes in my opnoin what do you think:-) Screenshot_20210414-133224_Gmail

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I just received this message from the jeep dealership. I had the TSB for the steering box and used a oil change. The jeep has 17k miles on it. Are you serious, replace brake lining?
It's probably inspect and replace if needed. A lot of that should be part of the dealer inspection when they do a oil change, same for the OP's parking brake.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Talk to any decent chassis shop that builds rear ends. They will tell you to change the diff fluid after 500 miles.

I would never pay them to do it though. It's just as easy as an oil change on the JL.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
@78cj7-18lj

I normally am sceptical about the dealership, but they may not be wrong here. Fluids do break down over time, so it might not be the biggest overreach to change it.

However, doesn’t mean you need to have the dealership do it. It is easier than changing your car’s oil, so for the cost of the fluid, I would change it.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Rip Off? Yes in my opnoin what do you think:-) Screenshot_20210414-133224_Gmail
Not sure why they don’t just say inspect, which is all they would likely be doing. Bad marketing terminology here.
Sponsored