Sponsored

Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787)

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
On my end, things are ‘fine’ after the latest round of repairs.

My 4xe has now developed some death wobble, so I'm going to have them check that out as well. 7k on the odo.
I did have a new steering damper installed at 10k mark to address death wobble. Surprising, since my setup is still stock. (Damn thing goes in the shop too often to consider modding)

Further diagnosis of FORM and CHOC issues are unlikely, as weather has now been consistently in the 40’s and rising. Too warm for either issue to fire.

Still miss my 2010 JK. Ten years of bulletproof performance.
Sponsored

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
Did the damper fix the issue?

And yes, they don't make them like they used to. All my other Jeeps have been rock solid.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Issue 4: “Check Engine Light, EVAP Leak”
RESOLVED

New Issue. Check engine light came on again. Vehicle had been undergoing several tests to confirm a leak in the EVAP system. One week in the repair shop, and a star case ticket later… the tech determined it was caused by a loose fuel cap. (What?)
I had this one a few months ago on my JLUR 2.0T. They told me there was a service bulletin on the issue, and that the initial step was for them to install another gas cap, this one being tighter than stock. So that's what they did.

I haven't seen the problem since.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Ok dropped it off in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. Replaced the electronic coolant heater and no more P0E15 and check engine light cleared and not starting in FORM and back to normal. Almost forgot how quiet the 4xe is without the engine.

Drives like it should. Starts in electric then engine kicks on when I punch it then engine shuts off when I’m driving easy again. Love it. It’s been a few months since it’s been like this.

4xeRubiAZ

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Ok dropped it off in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. Replaced the electronic coolant heater and no more P0E15 and check engine light cleared and not starting in FORM and back to normal. Almost forgot how quiet the 4xe is without the engine.

Drives like it should. Starts in electric then engine kicks on when I punch it then engine shuts off when I’m driving easy again. Love it. It’s been a few months since it’s been like this.
My 21 4xe rubicon had the CE light on, took it in yesterday and they got back today saying it was the electric coolant heater that needs to be replaced, and that there are 3,800 units currently on backorder! they called around to try to get one from another dealer with no luck. they will perform a few software updates and give it back today, I will bring it back in until part arrives around April 7th! this is in scottsdale AZ

Sponsored

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I’m fed up with mine. Utterly terrible experience with this thing.

Latest update:

Stuck in fuel or oil refresh mode (FORM) again. Weather has been consistently around 50F. Oil life has an indicated 98% remaining. Obviously been refueling as I’m driving.

Cannot recommend the 4xe to anyone. Get a normal gas model, or buy something else.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m fed up with mine. Utterly terrible experience with this thing.

Latest update:

Stuck in fuel or oil refresh mode (FORM) again. Weather has been consistently around 50F. Oil life has an indicated 98% remaining. Obviously been refueling as I’m driving.

Cannot recommend the 4xe to anyone. Get a normal gas model, or buy something else.
Did you try running the gas to 1/4 tank and doing some hwy runs to get the oil hot (>190 degrees)?

My FORM has been off, when warm, even though my engine light is on awaiting the ECH replacement.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Did you try running the gas to 1/4 tank and doing some hwy runs to get the oil hot (>190 degrees)?

My FORM has been off, when warm, even though my engine light is on awaiting the ECH replacement.
Still can’t clear it. Still hasn’t cleared after two 30+ minutes highway sessions with low fuel, windows down, blasting AC on one and blasting heat on the other. Have not resorted to running lower gearing yet, as that might void a warranty claim should any future fault with the transmission occur.

I’m fed up and done with this vehicle.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still can’t clear it. Still hasn’t cleared after two 30+ minutes highway sessions with low fuel, windows down, blasting AC on one and blasting heat on the other. Have not resorted to running lower gearing yet, as that might void a warranty claim should any future fault with the transmission occur.

I’m fed up and done with this vehicle.
You can run a lower gear. The car allows manual mode. There is no way the warranty would be impacted.

Worth a try to get the oil hotter and out of Form.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
We actually had a pretty good experience with this issue (I mean, outside of it being an issue :D )

ID-ed this with a scan tool:

P0E15
#07EA
Hybrid-EV Battery Pack Coolant Heater A Control Performance.

This started AFTER we had the ZB7 (NHTSA# 22V-865) recall performed this past Feb, funny enough, before the recall, the vehicle has been running just fine, but I figured get the recall done.

So a couple of weeks later got the CEL, reset it, seemed to run fine, but finally pulled the code (above). FWIW, we also had a behavior where you could prevent the ICE from running by plugging in, fire up the heater to max, and it would just blow cold air - on the road, the heater was fine, it would kick the engine on - also, FL, what's a heater :D

So I scheduled a service appointment on Feb 27 for that Saturday, March 4, dropped it off around 10a.

My service guy knew all about the P0E15, said they knew it well, that the 3x with the CEL and the valve/heater has to be replaced, etc., what's been covered in this thread already.

He also said there were two outstanding firmware updates (TSB, so won't show on a public facing recall check), they'd attend to as well. Plus it was time for a (free) oil change and (free) tire rotation.

Had the parts in stock, so we got the call to pick it up around 11a Monday, $0.00 of course, the free oil/tire services (2 of 3 so far), heater replaced, looks like part number 8015020, coolant too, the service description says, "Coolant heater status permanently locked, cannot be recovered, heater must be replaced. Replaced HV coolant heater and tested operation."

The two RRT items, are RSU 23-036 (integrated dual charging module - reprogrammed per instructions), and RSU 23-027 (battery pack control module - reprogrammed per instructions).

3 weeks later, still running great, no CEL, no HVAC issues, no unexpected ICE operation, and it feels like it's shifting smoother, switching on the ICE (on demand/WOT) more seamless, even though that's not anything that was specifically addressed.

Sponsored

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We actually had a pretty good experience with this issue (I mean, outside of it being an issue :D )

ID-ed this with a scan tool:

P0E15
#07EA
Hybrid-EV Battery Pack Coolant Heater A Control Performance.

This started AFTER we had the ZB7 (NHTSA# 22V-865) recall performed this past Feb, funny enough, before the recall, the vehicle has been running just fine, but I figured get the recall done.

So a couple of weeks later got the CEL, reset it, seemed to run fine, but finally pulled the code (above). FWIW, we also had a behavior where you could prevent the ICE from running by plugging in, fire up the heater to max, and it would just blow cold air - on the road, the heater was fine, it would kick the engine on - also, FL, what's a heater :D

So I scheduled a service appointment on Feb 27 for that Saturday, March 4, dropped it off around 10a.

My service guy knew all about the P0E15, said they knew it well, that the 3x with the CEL and the valve/heater has to be replaced, etc., what's been covered in this thread already.

He also said there were two outstanding firmware updates (TSB, so won't show on a public facing recall check), they'd attend to as well. Plus it was time for a (free) oil change and (free) tire rotation.

Had the parts in stock, so we got the call to pick it up around 11a Monday, $0.00 of course, the free oil/tire services (2 of 3 so far), heater replaced, looks like part number 8015020, coolant too, the service description says, "Coolant heater status permanently locked, cannot be recovered, heater must be replaced. Replaced HV coolant heater and tested operation."

The two RRT items, are RSU 23-036 (integrated dual charging module - reprogrammed per instructions), and RSU 23-027 (battery pack control module - reprogrammed per instructions).

3 weeks later, still running great, no CEL, no HVAC issues, no unexpected ICE operation, and it feels like it's shifting smoother, switching on the ICE (on demand/WOT) more seamless, even though that's not anything that was specifically addressed.
Thanks for the positivity. I need to keep hope since that my dealer will one day

1. Get the part
2. Fix it

Sucks to drive with a check engine light on for months and not have it function properly/as designed.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
My dealer said it's coming in on the 27th for me.

My 4xe has now developed some death wobble, so I'm going to have them check that out as well. 7k on the odo.

I want to love this Jeep but...
Your situation seems similar to mine. I noticed just this week that it wouldn't start nor run in electric mode when the engine was cold. "Cabin heating or cooling" message displayed on the screen.

Luckily I had an appointment scheduled for today to address the death wobble and a recall. They blamed the backordered steering stabilizer for the wobble. I had been using an aftermarket replacement (King)while waiting for my service appointment, but, since it's an aftermarket part, they would not re-install it. That's fine I had the tools & 10min later had the defective one swapped. The wobble was so bad & so frequent that it was dangerous to drive. Major oscillation at 49mph which only stopped shaking when I stopped. I'm sure I freaked out many highway drivers this morning when I hit my breaks and pulled onto the shoulder.

As for the electric mode unavailable, they read the dtc's and I had an active POE15-00 code which did not trigger a check engine light. Now the heater (p/n 68400740AD) is on order with no estimate of delivery.

I also really like the power of the 4xe, but I'm tiring of the hybrid issues.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Good news! FORM finally cleared.

Granted, it’s going to exceed 80F for the next five days, but the damn message finally cleared on its own. I did nothing differently outside my usual driving.

Winter mode off for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) 1680717112949

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my ECH replaced yesterday. It's running normally now.

However, I am getting some gurgling sounds. They might not have bleed it properly. I'm going to go back for a new steering damper, maybe I'll make them re bleed the system.

Does anyone know what was involved in the ech replacement? Did they do it from the interior or underneath the car?

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) IMG_6267

Update 7/23/23: New defect, minor. Sealant of LED housing on rear left has failed. Obvious moisture intrusion and retention. Will ask nearest trusted dealership to evaluate on next oil change.
Sponsored