Sponsored

Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787)

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) 1674769470632

Update 1/26/23: Got a call from trusted dealership. They have confirmed the hybrid coolant heater is indeed bad, and will require replacement. Diagnosis took two days. Part ETA is early February. Jeep is providing me a rental to cover the gap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) P0e15-00 hv coolant heater.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
My Jeep just threw another DTC.

P0E15

Is this related to the electric coolant heater? I can't find this particular DTC here via search. I only got a hit on a Pacifica hybrid forum.

For anyone that got this DTC, what was the problem and fix?

Thanks for any and all help.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
My Jeep just threw another DTC.

P0E15

Is this related to the electric coolant heater? I can't find this particular DTC here via search. I only got a hit on a Pacifica hybrid forum.

For anyone that got this DTC, what was the problem and fix?

Thanks for any and all help.
Yep. That’s the one. I’ve misidentified it as “POE15”. This is related to the “locked permanent” state of heater module status 1.

Prior to last software update, this module status did not generate a check engine light code. After the latest update, that status generates the P0E15 code.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) P0e15-00 hv coolant heater.PNG

Update 1/26/23: Got a call from trusted dealership. They have confirmed the hybrid coolant heater is indeed bad, and will require replacement. Diagnosis took two days. Part ETA is early February. Jeep is providing me a rental to cover the gap.
Did they say the vehicle cannot be driven with this ech failure?

Also, did the dealer provide the rental it did you go through Jeep cares? Thanks.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Did they say the vehicle cannot be driven with this ech failure?

Also, did the dealer provide the rental it did you go through Jeep cares? Thanks.
Vehicle can be driven. Issue isn’t safety related, as it impacts the use of the hybrid system only. ICE works just fine.

I’m guessing here: because of location of the coolant heater and the required work to dissemble / test /replace / reassemble / flush hybrid system, the dealership is probably leaving my Jeep partly dissembled in the shop while they wait on the part. Returning the Jeep to me would probably double the number labor hours they would need to submit for warranty reimbursement to FCA.

The rental was arranged by the dealership directly, no involvement from Jeep Cares. This is very dealership dependent, so YMMV.

Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
The 4xe has the same drive train as the Pacifica. I looked into the 4xe because my sister wanted to buy one. Should be a good reference.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
The 4xe has the same drive train as the Pacifica. I looked into the 4xe because my sister wanted to buy one. Should be a good reference.
Yes, this is correct. The system used by both the Wrangler 4xe and Grand Cherokee 4xe are derived from the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

Based on my experience, I’ve advised anyone considering a Wrangler to avoid the 4xe, and stick with a more traditional engine configuration. If they absolutely must have a 4xe, lease it, to give yourself maximum flexibility.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't been able to take my Jeep into the dealership for the repair yet.

Does anyone know if FORM can go off with the ECH being defective (DTC thrown)?

My Jeep has been running as an ICE vehicle đź’Ż of the time for the last several weeks.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Update 2/17/23:

Day 22 of rental. Trusted dealership informs me that the replacement hybrid hv coolant heater is not pairing with the vehicle. STAR case is opened, and any additional hv coolant heaters would need to be ordered by the STAR team.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) 1676668642376

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update 2/17/23:

Day 22 of rental. Trusted dealership informs me that the replacement hybrid hv coolant heater is not pairing with the vehicle. STAR case is opened, and any additional hv coolant heaters would need to be ordered by the STAR team.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Hybrid Electric Vehicle System, Service Charging System, Cabin Cooling or Heating, CHOC, P0E15, B9A (23V-787) 1676668642376
What the hell is there to pair with?

I really wanted to keep this vehicle but I don't know...

Good luck with it. I am still waiting to bring it in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
What the hell is there to pair with?

I really wanted to keep this vehicle but I don't know...

Good luck with it. I am still waiting to bring it in.
You might want to bring it in sooner rather than later. At least they can order the part now.

Replacement for the replacement hybrid high voltage coolant heater has a tentative ETA of March 2nd. Jeep corporate is trying to expedite. I’ll laugh if this replacement is also a dud. Today is day 30 since I bought it in.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might want to bring it in sooner rather than later. At least they can order the part now.

Replacement for the replacement hybrid high voltage coolant heater has a tentative ETA of March 2nd. Jeep corporate is trying to expedite. I’ll laugh if this replacement is also a dud. Today is day 30 since I bought it in.
I have an appointment to bring it in next week. Hope they sort it out for you soon.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I’ve got the check engine light with P0E15

It’s been this way since about November. No issue driving just that when temp is less than 50 degrees it always starts up in ICE and stays that way for the whole trip. Sometimes after a mile I’ll turn it off then back on and it starts in hybrid/electric but not all the time. I had planned on taking it in but the shops were pretty booked up. Finally got an appt next week. Worried they will open it up and realize the cooler or heater or whatever needs to be replaced and will have to order so I’ll be without the 4xe for a while. But need to get it addressed because I’m in ICE now 75% of the time and that’s a killer on gas.

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I’ve got the check engine light with P0E15

It’s been this way since about November. No issue driving just that when temp is less than 50 degrees it always starts up in ICE and stays that way for the whole trip. Sometimes after a mile I’ll turn it off then back on and it starts in hybrid/electric but not all the time. I had planned on taking it in but the shops were pretty booked up. Finally got an appt next week. Worried they will open it up and realize the cooler or heater or whatever needs to be replaced and will have to order so I’ll be without the 4xe for a while. But need to get it addressed because I’m in ICE now 75% of the time and that’s a killer on gas.
Yep, it explains my situation exactly.

I will add, not having instant heat has been a bummer for my wife this winter.

However, I'm not leaving the vehicle with them. They can figure it out, button it up and bring me back in when the part becomes available.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yep, it explains my situation exactly.

I will add, not having instant heat has been a bummer for my wife this winter.
Yeah so what are we looking at? A bad part that needs to be replaced? Or a software update? I actually took it in last month for the latest software updates since I got the recall notice if possible engine shut down so I’m pretty sure it’s not a software update. So if it’s a part replacement then shouldn’t others on here gone thru that process already?
Sponsored