Service ESC & ESS Disabled in 4H

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't have an OBDII reader otherwise I would provide the codes but it's the same circumstances each time: While in 4H (not sure if it applies to 4L since most of my trails are in 4H), both the Service ESC & ESS Disabled light come on after some time on the trail. It's not within the first couple minutes but maybe 30+ minutes depending on the trail. Continue on the trail and then shift back in 2H and the lights remain on. Once I turn the vehicle off, both ESC & ESS lights are gone.

I know a few people on here have gotten the same exact problem but I haven't seen an actual solution. There are other issues with the ESC only that seem to happen even during everyday driving. This seems to be different since it only happens while in 4H...

EDIT: I've also mentioned this to the Service dept. when I was there for countless other things (U62 recall, Hard Top Seal replacement, etc.) and the tech said he would see if any codes were stored and unfortunately there were none. They said they looked at the Vacuum pump but I honestly don't think they did a single thing
Sponsored

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have the same concern in 4X4 after about 30 min

Build date 8/18

Have not taken to shop yet.

Once back in 2X2 and a restart it resolves itself

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the same concern in 4X4 after about 30 min

Build date 8/18

Have not taken to shop yet.

Once back in 2X2 and a restart it resolves itself
Have you taken it in to be checked out? It seems like an electrical issue but the service dept. techs are so accustomed to JKs they don't know/care to troubleshoot a JL

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Have you taken it in to be checked out? It seems like an electrical issue but the service dept. techs are so accustomed to JKs they don't know/care to troubleshoot a JL
I have not. Been traveling a lot lately and have not had a chance. Hope to settle down mid October. Now back to the airport.

Iaacosta86

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It started happening to me on trails as well, it eventually got worst throwing itself into auto park mode asking me to throw it in park and re-select a gear. And eventually started happening on the road. At this point its been at the dealership since august 9th and today has been the second time an engineer has flown out to try to fix this issue and still no remedy to this issue

Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
My wife just recently had the ESS and ESC warning lights come on, she was able to drive it home from 300 miles away, and now her brakes started to become affected. Into the dealer after checking fuses, hood latch and easy fixes and it is her Vacuum pump, part ordered. Thanks for the heads up for many people on the forum we were able to suggest some thoughts to dealer. Hopefully that fixes it.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@Iaacosta86 Where you able to get your Jeep fixed? I had the same error(shift into park then desired gear) while in 4LO once but everything cleared up after restart. I am taking it in this week, so any input based on your experience is appreciated. Mine hasn't started doing it on road yet.

Iaacosta86

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Iaacosta86 Where you able to get your Jeep fixed? I had the same error(shift into park then desired gear) while in 4LO once but everything cleared up after restart. I am taking it in this week, so any input based on your experience is appreciated. Mine hasn't started doing it on road yet.
jeep was not fixed, the more the dealer puts hand on it the worst it got. They flew out engineers and after they touched it it left me stranded twice. I ended getting a buy back from FCA and got another JLU. No problem with this one

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
jeep was not fixed, the more the dealer puts hand on it the worst it got. They flew out engineers and after they touched it it left me stranded twice. I ended getting a buy back from FCA and got another JLU. No problem with this one
Thanks. It seems crazy no one could fix it or find out what's wrong. Glad atleast things worked out for you in the end.
@NCIC105 , @rizej did you guys figure out what was causing this issue?

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have not. Been traveling a lot lately and have not had a chance. Hope to settle down mid October. Now back to the airport.
Service Department said could not find anything wrong...I showed them video of how it acts and the warning light..Said no codes, nothing they could do....Typical

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interested as well. Same symptoms for me but it truly only seems to do it at altitude --- which is like above 10k for those of us who live in the mtn states.

I've had it happen twice in 4lo at altitude, but NEVER in Moab even after more and longer hours on the trail.....so while I don't know how EXACTLY altitude affects vacuum I'm guessing the vacuum pump is somehow guilty here. Atmospheric pressure and all that.

One of the other threads mentioned a faulty hose or line to the vac pump
Sponsored