Sponsored

Service Electronic Throttle Control Resolutions

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Not sure exactly, but I think the TPS got hot because the radiator fan hasn’t been coming on. I’ve only heard it for a few moments (before this issue started) between two days of 4Lo driving in the San Juans.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Not sure exactly, but I think the TPS got hot because the radiator fan hasn’t been coming on. I’ve only heard it for a few moments (before this issue started) between two days of 4Lo driving in the San Juans.
You gonna be able to get it off the trail? I think if you turn the AC on max, recirculate, fan as high as it will go it forces the cooling fan on but that may not be comfortable where you are at. You are also adding a load and potentially more heat under the hood so cautious with that approach.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
You gonna be able to get it off the trail? I think if you turn the AC on max, recirculate, fan as high as it will go it forces the cooling fan on but that may not be comfortable where you are at. You are also adding a load and potentially more heat under the hood so cautious with that approach.
I did make it off after 30 minutes of it shut down to cool. No further issues. Indeed odd that the rad fan is not coming on though. Will get that looked at.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I did make it off after 30 minutes of it shut down to cool. No further issues. Indeed odd that the rad fan is not coming on though. Will get that looked at.
Cool, glad you made it out ok. I stumbled across the other thread you were posting in also. Hopefully the rest of your trip goes well.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
So my warning went off today and it turned out to be my steering wheel being off center. Last weekend I had changed the front track bar and was planning on doing the toe correction and steering wheel correction next weekend.

Message came up today and wouldn't go away so I tried the drag link adjustment and it fixed it.

Not saying it is what's wrong with yours but for others it is a quick thing to try other than pushing down on all the fuses to make sure they are all seated well.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So my warning went off today and it turned out to be my steering wheel being off center. Last weekend I had changed the front track bar and was planning on doing the toe correction and steering wheel correction next weekend.

Message came up today and wouldn't go away so I tried the drag link adjustment and it fixed it.

Not saying it is what's wrong with yours but for others it is a quick thing to try other than pushing down on all the fuses to make sure they are all seated well.
I'm gonna guess you had ESC errors not ETC issues. Yaw has nothing to do with with throttle position.

Incidentally, you might be able to eliminate ESC errors by going to "stage 2" of TC kill - hold the button for 5+ seconds while at a stop. My '19 does seem to disable everything but it throws "Service" errors for TC, ESC and ABS which don't go away until I shut down and restart. The manual says you can return to TC on by simply pushing the button again but my JL instead chooses to panic (hey, kinda like COVID!) and throw a bunch of errors.....but again, I do think it's disabling all the nannies simply because all the error lights come on and stay on.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine hardly runs at all in 4lo in the mountains. Ironically if the digi display is to be believed it runs 222 on the highway and will run 190 all day long crawling in the mountains, even with the AC on

Also I recently managed to drive up a good portion of Blanca with my parking brake on (ya see....I'm just so good I had to make it more challenging....yeah that's it) and during that time the fan was running WAY more despite coolant allegedly being 185.

Thus I'm pretty convinced FCA also uses an engine load algorithm to determine when to kick on the fan, not just a thermal switch. I've never seen such a theory discussed on the forum but I'm convinced I'm right. And when you're crawling in 4lo even though it might seem like the engine is working due to the higher RPM the fact is that it's not due to all the gear reduction

And hey, you know you should always trust theories from idiots on the internet wise enough to drive up one of Colorado's most difficult old-school trails with his parking brake on...I even made it through Jaws 3 no problem like that.....I'm just that dumb -- er I mean GOOD

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna guess you had ESC errors not ETC issues. Yaw has nothing to do with with throttle position.

Incidentally, you might be able to eliminate ESC errors by going to "stage 2" of TC kill - hold the button for 5+ seconds while at a stop. My '19 does seem to disable everything but it throws "Service" errors for TC, ESC and ABS which don't go away until I shut down and restart. The manual says you can return to TC on by simply pushing the button again but my JL instead chooses to panic (hey, kinda like COVID!) and throw a bunch of errors.....but again, I do think it's disabling all the nannies simply because all the error lights come on and stay on.
Shoot you are right, it was stability control error. My bad. It was late and I was about to pass out.

WVJEEPZ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon ecoDiesel
I just experienced this error along with the check engine light while towing a small trailer up a long grade The accompanying reduction in power while on a 70 mph freeway is a hazard in and of itself.

Sponsored

WVJEEPZ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon ecoDiesel
My 2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel is in getting a turbo replacement right now! The scary part is they stated they had to remove the cab to perform the work. Does anyone have access to the service manual? Removing the cab sounds a bit extreme.

OP
OP

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon ecoDiesel
My 2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel is in getting a turbo replacement right now! The scary part is they stated they had to remove the cab to perform the work. Does anyone have access to the service manual? Removing the cab sounds a bit extreme.
Removing the cab has become ever more increasingly common on a lot of cars, it doesn’t surprise me on the ecodiesel as it becomes more and more crowded under the hood.
Sponsored