Sponsored

Service axle locker light still coming on randomly even after z automotive bypass

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Hey all!
I bought a set of the z-automotive locker bypasses for my JLUR and they seem to work for the most part. No more long locker engagements and no more refusing to lock altogether. Though consistently I still get a random service axle locker light around town and such. It always goes away within a few seconds and I haven’t had any issues offending with it yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be a secondary issue?
Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
My sensors were fine but ended up being the wiring harness to the axles.

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Hey all!
I bought a set of the z-automotive locker bypasses for my JLUR and they seem to work for the most part. No more long locker engagements and no more refusing to lock altogether. Though consistently I still get a random service axle locker light around town and such. It always goes away within a few seconds and I haven’t had any issues offending with it yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be a secondary issue?
My buddy is having the exact same issues. After he installed the bypass cables last week, the service locker message went away, but still comes back randomly. Have you opened a support ticket with Zautomotive?

Thanks,
John

OP
OP
Logan-Kn

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
My buddy is having the exact same issues. After he installed the bypass cables last week, the service locker message went away, but still comes back randomly. Have you opened a support ticket with Zautomotive?

Thanks,
John
Actually managed to fix the problem the other day. Removed both and found that the connecter on the diff was full of oil (obviously why I have the bypass in the first place) I went through all the connectors and spayed them with contact cleaner. Reconnected them all, ensuring that they all audibly clicked and voilĂ  no more random lights!

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Actually managed to fix the problem the other day. Removed both and found that the connecter on the diff was full of oil (obviously why I have the bypass in the first place) I went through all the connectors and spayed them with contact cleaner. Reconnected them all, ensuring that they all audibly clicked and voilĂ  no more random lights!
Thanks for the reply. Good idea! So did you use the bypass cables still, or just clean the connectors and re-attach the factory cables?

John

Sponsored

OP
OP
Logan-Kn

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the reply. Good idea! So did you use the bypass cables still, or just clean the connectors and re-attach the factory cables?

John
Yes I still used the bypasses, I just cleaned all the connections thoroughly.

Kerndog91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, V6, Sting Gray
My sensors were fine but ended up being the wiring harness to the axles.
Can you share where you found the wiring harness damage? And was it front or rear?

I just recently starting getting the Service Axle Locker light. Intermittently, only for a few seconds. I am getting pretty good at forcing it to occur just by braking to a normal stop. Kinda crazy that I can actually force it to happen. Maybe diff oil is splashing into the sensor only when I brake? Seems unlikely to me. But other forums have pointed at oil-flooded sensors, so...

I bought (one) Z-automotive OEM bypass, since I figure the odds of both sensors failing in the same week are pretty low. Installed it on the rear; still got the SAL light. Removed the bypass and installed in the front; still got the light. Removed the bypass, same behavior. Nothing changed.

I have read about the potting fix to the sensors and understand the logic behind it, but since the bypass is not fixing my problem, I am suspecting the wiring as others here have. I also like the contact cleaner idea that was mentioned. Maybe a longshot but I am wondering if there is a common weak point in the harness(es) that others have found.

I will be trying to trace down the wiring, and clean the contacts. Will come back with any findings...

Kerndog91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow up to my previous post – after trying the Z-bypass with no change, I took it in to the dealer.

It appears that they fixed my issue. Attributed it to a break in wiring near the front axle locker sensor, right at the connector to the casing. See pic of service description, and pics of the location of repair. Fixed it same day. and for just a hundred bucks. I was ready for much worse (out of warranty). So far so good, for about a week.

Good luck everyone, this could be worth checking before opening up diffs...

Dealer Writeup.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

OP
OP
Logan-Kn

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Maybe someone will see this,
I’m still having some issues with my axle lockers despite my locker bypass. Tried to take it to my dealer in Santa Rosa CA but they were terrible. They replaced the actuator but that obviously did nothing. My axle locker light comes on whenever I come to a stop. Has anyone has this happen? Starting to consider it might be that wiring harness issue.

Kerndog91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe someone will see this,
I’m still having some issues with my axle lockers despite my locker bypass. Tried to take it to my dealer in Santa Rosa CA but they were terrible. They replaced the actuator but that obviously did nothing. My axle locker light comes on whenever I come to a stop. Has anyone has this happen? Starting to consider it might be that wiring harness issue.
Yes, I have had this happen.
Yes, it was a wiring harness issue.

There are relatively few others that have reported similar experiences with their wiring harness, but the locker bypass trick gets a lot of attention since it is so easy to just try. The bypass works for some, but did not for me.

In the post right above your question, I post the dealer service record where the dealer found my wiring issue immediately. There is a note for 'Starcase 2208000008' that the dealer referenced. Pictures of the cable on the front driver side show the new black tape where they repaired it. The issue has not returned (now about 8 months since).

Hope that helps you find your issue, or you can get the dealer to find it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Logan-Kn

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Yes, I have had this happen.
Yes, it was a wiring harness issue.

There are relatively few others that have reported similar experiences with their wiring harness, but the locker bypass trick gets a lot of attention since it is so easy to just try. The bypass works for some, but did not for me.

In the post right above your question, I post the dealer service record where the dealer found my wiring issue immediately. There is a note for 'Starcase 2208000008' that the dealer referenced. Pictures of the cable on the front driver side show the new black tape where they repaired it. The issue has not returned (now about 8 months since).

Hope that helps you find your issue, or you can get the dealer to find it.
Thanks so much, I am going to run to my dealership with this information!

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine comes on randomly about once or twice an hour, just for a second or two. Z-auto bypass didn't solve and wire harness looks good in that area. I've got CANBUS gremlins to which I attribute this. Probably a harness issue, but it could be in any of dozens of places.

Kerndog91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine comes on randomly about once or twice an hour, just for a second or two. Z-auto bypass didn't solve and wire harness looks good in that area. I've got CANBUS gremlins to which I attribute this. Probably a harness issue, but it could be in any of dozens of places.
I agree, it could be lots of places and definitely hard as hell to find. But check out the third line from the bottom in the dealer service note in my post above--the tech did not find the break until he opened the harness. So even though your harness looks good in the that area (and so did mine), your issue could still be there. Just saying... maybe.

It was also just too perfect that the dealer found and fixed it so fast. Fantastic for me, but wow was I surprised. The tech was clearly sharp and did a great job, but I think he also knew right where to look. Good luck!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just went through this with my JLUR on the front axle. I had stored codes and the front locker didn't work for the past 5 months. I installed a Z Automotive jumper bypass. Nada. I found some damage on the front harness that runs from the firewall to the front axle, so, I replaced it. Very simple job. It still would not work and threw codes. So, I opened the diff and the sensor was full of oil. I took the sensor out, popped the cover off and cleaned it and the connectors out, hoping it would work. I put the sensor in and connected it with the diff cover off to witness function. Nada.

Then I checked voltage at the connection where the locker coil/actuator plugs into. 14.x volts with the locker switch commanding front/rear lock. Plug the coil in. Nothing. Check voltage. 14.x volts. Finally, I tried jumper cables and some 14ga pigtails and just stuffed a few strands of copper conductor wires into the sockets of the coil connector. Big spark, then function. Tried several more times. Much smaller sparks when touching the pigtail to the jumper cables. I think I had a short in the connector that burned off with high current.

Anyway, if your locker isn't working, try just running wires into the socket of the coil connector. The 2 wires to the coil are red and black. So, hard to mess up. You should see the electro-magnet coil push the thin sheetmetal plates about 1/8" away from the coil.
Sponsored