Sponsored

Service 4WD message and then piece of metal falls out of jeep

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ok so what do you guys think of this one:

Early January we got that huge snowstorm. I'm in 4hi and briefly in 4lo to get through some really heavy unplowed snow (like nearly 2 feet), then 2hi once I'm back on roads or anything even slightly plowed. Some of the shifting takes some force on the stick, as usual. Sometimes coming out of 4lo was pretty tough.

Then, the dreaded message comes up on the dash: Service 4WD System. Jeep still seems to drive fine and I could still shift it into 4 wheel. Pushed down on some of my fuses and the message never came back up on the dash.

Didn't get it into the dealer until today for its regular inspection. Asked them to look at the 4wd just to see. Right away they had trouble keeping it in 4lo. Then they put it on some rollers and tried shifting, and a piece of metal falls out the bottom of the jeep. After the metal fell out, they could now shift it into 4lo (yay), but when they put it up on the lift they found that the piece of metal was from my front driveshaft. Woof. They have no idea what broke it in the first place nor how it traveled from the driveshaft down to the transfer case.

Wanted to put this up here to see what you guys thought. Was I too forceful on the shifter and possibly snapped something? Was it just a freak thing? Thank goodness I'm still under warranty for a couple more weeks.
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Ok so what do you guys think of this one:

Early January we got that huge snowstorm. I'm in 4hi and briefly in 4lo to get through some really heavy unplowed snow (like nearly 2 feet), then 2hi once I'm back on roads or anything even slightly plowed. Some of the shifting takes some force on the stick, as usual. Sometimes coming out of 4lo was pretty tough.

Then, the dreaded message comes up on the dash: Service 4WD System. Jeep still seems to drive fine and I could still shift it into 4 wheel. Pushed down on some of my fuses and the message never came back up on the dash.

Didn't get it into the dealer until today for its regular inspection. Asked them to look at the 4wd just to see. Right away they had trouble keeping it in 4lo. Then they put it on some rollers and tried shifting, and a piece of metal falls out the bottom of the jeep. After the metal fell out, they could now shift it into 4lo (yay), but when they put it up on the lift they found that the piece of metal was from my front driveshaft. Woof. They have no idea what broke it in the first place nor how it traveled from the driveshaft down to the transfer case.

Wanted to put this up here to see what you guys thought. Was I too forceful on the shifter and possibly snapped something? Was it just a freak thing? Thank goodness I'm still under warranty for a couple more weeks.
How fast were you going in 4Lo and did you have to make an abrupt steering turn or a full U turn or floor the Jeep by any chance? If that is the front drive shaft, it may have broken due to excess amount of torque applied during 4Lo.

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
How fast were you going in 4Lo and did you have to make an abrupt steering turn or a full U turn or floor the Jeep by any chance? If that is the front drive shaft, it may have broken due to excess amount of torque applied during 4Lo.
No speed, that's for sure. I just crawled out of my driveway. Maybe a turn, though. Yea, it was the front drive shaft.

I'm pretty sure I put it back into 2hi or 4hi at the most once I got onto the street, but that required a bit of a turn once I exited the driveway. You gave me something to think about, thank you!

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
People drive around in 4 lo all day in moab. Moab has lots of turns and near perfect traction. You didn't wreck it by turning in snow. Even full throttle u turns in snow.

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
No pix of metal piece ?
No, sorry - dealer didn't send me one. I should have asked. The guy was kinda squirrely when I kept asking him about it. Just kept saying he had no idea what could have caused it.

@Brenden
True. And I didn't knock it on anything hard. It was literally just snow. Granted, it was like 2 feet of snow, but still. Just unplowed snow in my driveway.
Sponsored