Serv 4wd dealer claims re-gear issue

Will.Batt

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Re-geared my 2018 JLUR to 5.13 about a month ago. Calibrated it via Tazer.

everything was working fine until this last weekend when I engaged 4Lo to get through a snow bank and the “Serv 4wd” came on.
Took it to Thompson’s CDJR in Placerville Ca, as I’m still under warranty, who is now telling me the new gear ratio is the issue and the ECU needs to be programmed. I said “fine, program it” and they were adamant they didn’t have the capability to re-program for gears. several calls and emails of me explaining and providing how to videos they finally agree they can reprogram for gears but it will cost $495.
I call bullshit! 1)the code from the Jeep says it’s a wheel speed issue. 2) the Jeep has already been programmed. 3) the service contract for calibration after tires or gears only cost $125. 4) when this doesn’t fix the issue I’m out the money for something that didn’t need to be accomplished and still without a working Jeep that should be covered under warranty. @JeepCares, please help.
Sponsored

Scootin_JL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

everything was working fine until this last weekend when I engaged 4Lo to get through a snow bank and the “Serv 4wd” came on.
Took it to Thompson’s CDJR in Placerville Ca, as I’m still under warranty, who is now telling me the new gear ratio is the issue and the ECU needs to be programmed. I said “fine, program it” and they were adamant they didn’t have the capability to re-program for gears. several calls and emails of me explaining and providing how to videos they finally agree they can reprogram for gears but it will cost $495.
I call bullshit! 1)the code from the Jeep says it’s a wheel speed issue. 2) the Jeep has already been programmed. 3) the service contract for calibration after tires or gears only cost $125. 4) when this doesn’t fix the issue I’m out the money for something that didn’t need to be accomplished and still without a working Jeep that should be covered under warranty. @JeepCares, please help.
When you calibrated gear ratio via tazer did you also calibrate the 4low gear ratio? I'm about to regear and was wondering if I needed to do this also.

OP
OP
Will.Batt

Will.Batt

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
When you calibrated gear ratio via tazer did you also calibrate the 4low gear ratio? I'm about to regear and was wondering if I needed to do this also.
hmmmm, thats a question I havent asked myself. I had the gears done at 4WP in Sparks and they used my Tazer to update the calibration. Im headed to Placerville today to pick up my Jeep since the dealer is still saying they have no way to update the calibration and wont explore anything beyond that as a fault. (ie: wheel speed sensor, transfer case sensor, FAD).

Side note: I see youre in South Lake, havent seen your Jeep around town. We should meet up.

Scootin_JL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
hmmmm, thats a question I havent asked myself. I had the gears done at 4WP in Sparks and they used my Tazer to update the calibration. Im headed to Placerville today to pick up my Jeep since the dealer is still saying they have no way to update the calibration and wont explore anything beyond that as a fault. (ie: wheel speed sensor, transfer case sensor, FAD).

Side note: I see youre in South Lake, havent seen your Jeep around town. We should meet up.
Ive been searching the internet trying to figure out if I have to re calibrate 4low but can find an answer.

On the side note: I just saw your pic and realized I've seen you. we will have to meet up. Mine goes into eloise on monday for regear.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been searching the internet trying to figure out if I have to re calibrate 4low but can find an answer.

On the side note: I just saw your pic and realized I've seen you. we will have to meet up. Mine goes into eloise on monday for regear.
There's no need to re-calibrate the transfer case if you're only re-gearing the axles.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Thanks for tagging us here, Will.Batt. When you have a moment, send our team a private message with more details so we can assist. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Will.Batt

Will.Batt

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you figured out what the problem was and how to remedy the issue?
I reprogrammed with the latest Tazer update, made sure 4Lo was set to 4.0 and it seems to be working. Dealer still says they cant reprogram for gear ratio: which is too bad, I would much rather have the Mopar programing than aftermarket.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

DO NOT screw w 4lo. The ONLY reason you would change that is if you swap out say a Sport transfer case for a Rubicon one. Then you would change the 4lo from 2.72 to 4.10.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

That's your problem... 4WP. I've yet to hear good things about them.

They should have changed your tire size and your axle gear ratio and that's it. Go into your Tazer settings and make sure those are set correctly and that you follow the proper Tazer full reboot procedure correctly. If you don't it can get wacky. At this point I'd say it's pretty important to do the full reboot EVEN IF those settings are correct. I've seen the reboot help with weird stuff.

Sponsored

Scootin_JL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I reprogrammed with the latest Tazer update, made sure 4Lo was set to 4.0 and it seems to be working. Dealer still says they cant reprogram for gear ratio: which is too bad, I would much rather have the Mopar programing than aftermarket.
After my regear eloise said my serv 4wd light was on. When I picked it up I calibrated to 5.13 before start up and I haven't seen the light, only 40 miles in to break in. After I get too 100 miles I'm going to the bottom of toads wild ride trail to break in front axle on dirt. If I see the light I will try the z automotive update and if it is still there im going to buy the z locker wire harness. Fingers crossed i dont see the light and that you dont see it again.

OP
OP
Will.Batt

Will.Batt

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
DO NOT screw w 4lo. The ONLY reason you would change that is if you swap out say a Sport transfer case for a Rubicon one. Then you would change the 4lo from 2.72 to 4.10.
You are correct, that would be the only reason to change the 4Lo setting. Just for clarification and to prevent confusion for anyone reading this: when setting the 4Lo for a Rubicon transfer case, the setting should be 4.00 and NOT 4.10 as the ration is 4:1 for the Rubicon and 2.72:1 for the Sport/Sahara.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well he has a rubicon. He should just make sure 4lo says 4 and nothing else. But yes he shouldn't need to mess with it.
Sponsored